Sign in to follow this  
rdsmith3

Moving from FL to NJ -- how to handle firearms?

My son is currently active duty USAF stationed in Florida.  He will be getting out in August.  He has acquired a handgun and several long guns while in FL. He will be starting college in a few months, possibly in MA.  Is there a way I can legally possess the firearms while he is in college?  Does he have to sell them to me, in which case it would be a dealer-to-dealer transfer?

Thanks.

If they are NJ legal firearms, he could bring them to your home when he moves back in and takes up residence in your home before he goes to college and they can stay at your/his home while he lives at your home but is temporarily away at college during the semesters.   Get a safe, put the guns in there and only he has the combination.

This only works if he takes up residence at your home.    

There are ways to prove he takes up residence at your home, such as a bill that arrives every month and that you and he and everyone involved agree that he lives at your/his home while he's away at college during the term.    A way to definitely disprove that he isn't living at your home, would be to suggest, on any kind of social media "no, he was never planning on moving back in" because that would close this door for him.

If they are NJ legal firearms, he could bring them to your home when he moves back in and takes up residence in your home before he goes to college and they can stay at your/his home while he lives at your home but is temporarily away at college during the semesters.   Get a safe, put the guns in there and only he has the combination.

This only works if he takes up residence at your home.    

There are ways to prove he takes up residence at your home, such as a bill that arrives every month and that you and he and everyone involved agree that he lives at your/his home while he's away at college during the term.    A way to definitely disprove that he isn't living at your home, would be to suggest, on any kind of social media "no, he was never planning on moving back in" because that would close this door for him.

^^^^All of the bases are covered.  He has his cell phone bill, credit card invoices, vehicle loan invoices, etc. sent to his/your dwelling through a change of address form.  NO laws are broken.  NO transfers are required.  Critical Thinking at its' best!

I'll bite. What law restricts one from leaving firearms at another's residence ( or anywhere else) for storage?

Long guns just need to be "secured" to prevent an "illegal transfer" w/o any paperwork.  I could pick a neighbor (that I'm not related to) that owes me a favor.  I would simply use the EXEMPTION allowed to me through my NJ FPID.  Or I could move back to my parent's house (with my long guns) and buy a hasp for my bedroom closet to secure them (of course I would).  Hand guns require an EXEMPTION to move (transport) them AND require the EXCEPTION of ownership to legally have them in your residence.  Paul, being a FFL you're SO used to folks just bringing you guns.  FFL's are one of the EXEMPTIONS where I'm allowed to transport my hand guns to.  You can merely admire them, appraise them and wipe yer fingerprints off them, put them on consignment, book them in for repair, cleaning, etc. (for return to owner), or make an offer to purchase (doesn't have to be written offer, verbal will do).  As a citizen of the PRNJ I'm not allowed to transport to non-exempt locations unless the Cops and Prosecutors says it's OK (which is why they made the Gun Buy-Back Locations EXEMPT w/ written law after you left NJ).  Yes, even the Prosecutors realized that THEY were breaking the law by having "just plain folk" transport their evil hand guns to a NON-EXEMPT location such as a church parking lot!  Currently there is NO provision for storing HAND GUNS anywhere but your own residence or place of business AND which ever FFL you so designate for "storage".  We even have a storage place in NJ (Firearms Support and Storage, LLC, that can accept hand guns since they are a FFL) advertising to lawyers and others to drum-up business involving DV cases, divorces, etc. taking advantage of this loophole in NJ law....  

Yes but Mass has the confounded  "handgun roster"  law.

I can carry state-wide in Mass. You can own SBS and SBR. AWB is about the same as Jersey, except that I can have 30 round mags (or larger.)

Yeah, it's a big step up from Jersey, if still a cluster f%^&.

Long guns just need to be "secured" to prevent an "illegal transfer" w/o any paperwork.  Not if the firearms are secured without giving the non-owner access. I could pick a neighbor (that I'm not related to) that owes me a favor.  I would simply use the EXEMPTION allowed to me through my NJ FPID.  Or I could move back to my parent's house (with my long guns) and buy a hasp for my bedroom closet to secure them (of course I would).  Hand guns require an EXEMPTION to move (transport) them AND require the EXCEPTION of ownership to legally have them in your residence.  Paul, being a FFL you're SO used to folks just bringing you guns.  FFL's are one of the EXEMPTIONS where I'm allowed to transport my hand guns to.  You can merely admire them, appraise them and wipe yer fingerprints off them, put them on consignment, book them in for repair, cleaning, etc. (for return to owner), or make an offer to purchase (doesn't have to be written offer, verbal will do).  As a citizen of the PRNJ I'm not allowed to transport to non-exempt locations unless the Cops and Prosecutors says it's OK (which is why they made the Gun Buy-Back Locations EXEMPT w/ written law after you left NJ). REALLY? Got a link for this new law? Yes, even the Prosecutors realized that THEY were breaking the law by having "just plain folk" transport their evil hand guns to a NON-EXEMPT location such as a church parking lot!  Currently there is NO provision for storing HAND GUNS anywhere but your own residence or place of business AND which ever FFL you so designate for "storage". There is no Storage Law. We even have a storage place in NJ (Firearms Support and Storage, LLC, that can accept hand guns since they are a FFL) advertising to lawyers and others to drum-up business involving DV cases, divorces, etc. taking advantage of this loophole in NJ law....  

Long guns just need to be "secured" to prevent an "illegal transfer" w/o any paperwork. Not if the firearms are secured without giving the non-owner access. I could pick a neighbor (that I'm not related to) that owes me a favor.  I would simply use the EXEMPTION allowed to me through my NJ FPID.  Or I could move back to my parent's house (with my long guns) and buy a hasp for my bedroom closet to secure them (of course I would).  Hand guns require an EXEMPTION to move (transport) them AND require the EXCEPTION of ownership to legally have them in your residence.  Paul, being a FFL you're SO used to folks just bringing you guns.  FFL's are one of the EXEMPTIONS where I'm allowed to transport my hand guns to.  You can merely admire them, appraise them and wipe yer fingerprints off them, put them on consignment, book them in for repair, cleaning, etc. (for return to owner), or make an offer to purchase (doesn't have to be written offer, verbal will do).  As a citizen of the PRNJ I'm not allowed to transport to non-exempt locations unless the Cops and Prosecutors says it's OK (which is why they made the Gun Buy-Back Locations EXEMPT w/ written law after you left NJ). REALLY? Got a link for this new law? Yes, even the Prosecutors realized that THEY were breaking the law by having "just plain folk" transport their evil hand guns to a NON-EXEMPT location such as a church parking lot!  Currently there is NO provision for storing HAND GUNS anywhere but your own residence or place of business AND which ever FFL you so designate for "storage". There is no Storage Law. We even have a storage place in NJ (Firearms Support and Storage, LLC, that can accept hand guns since they are a FFL) advertising to lawyers and others to drum-up business involving DV cases, divorces, etc. taking advantage of this loophole in NJ law....  

With regard to the long gun issue we both agree and merely state it in a different way.  I will try to get you a link to the new law and/or directive from the AG about the Buy-Backs.

^^^^There are some convoluted Storage Laws and "Directives" in regards to Prohibited Persons being able to legally accept firearms that are willed to them as tangible personal property.  As in the CLEO gets to nod as to where these firearms wind-up both during and after the 180 days the Prohibited Person has to get rid of them.  So far I've had to scan for both AG "Directives" as well as current laws.  I'm not finished looking yet, but the wife wants dinner, so this will have to wait some more....

Thanks for the responses. We will check if they're NJ legal. Let's assume they are for now. If he sells them to me then I have to go through the whole PPP hassle for the handgun? If he sells them to me I can legally use them, right? But if he is just storing them at my house then I can't use them?

I can carry state-wide in Mass. You can own SBS and SBR. AWB is about the same as Jersey, except that I can have 30 round mags (or larger.)

Yeah, it's a big step up from Jersey, if still a cluster f%^&.

Machine Guns * with permit Silencers * Only for law enforcement use while in scope of official duties Any Other Weapon (AOW)

Destructive Devices (DD)

Short Barreled Shotguns (SBS)

Short Barreled Rifles (SBR)

--

You can own all the above. Doesn't look so bad compared to Jersey

Machine Guns * with permit Silencers * Only for law enforcement use while in scope of official duties Any Other Weapon (AOW)

Destructive Devices (DD)

Short Barreled Shotguns (SBS)

Short Barreled Rifles (SBR)

--

You can own all the above. Doesn't look so bad compared to Jersey

Better because in some areas of MA you can actually get NFA stuff, but the process is still not as straight forward as it is in PA or other free states - extra hoops to jump through from what I understand.

MA approved handguns really suck, they are required to have really heavy triggers.

And......nobody ships ammo to non dealers in MA.

So, some thing are better but there are a good bit of things that are worse.

Better because in some areas of MA you can actually get NFA stuff, but the process is still not as straight forward as it is in PA or other free states - extra hoops to jump through from what I understand.

MA approved handguns really suck, they are required to have really heavy triggers.

And......nobody ships ammo to non dealers in MA.

So, some thing are better but there are a good bit of things that are worse.

I think mass has a law that pistols sold must have a loaded chamber indicator or a Magazine disconnect? I heard that somewhere once.

I think mass has a law that pistols sold must have a loaded chamber indicator? I heard that somewhere once.

I found this but can't remember where:

"Since March 2000, all new pistols sold in Massachusetts must include either a chamber loaded indicator or a magazine disconnect"

So it's a chamber indicator or disconnect, need at least one..

I found this but can't remember where:

"Since March 2000, all new pistols sold in Massachusetts must include either a chamber loaded indicator or a magazine disconnect"

So it's a chamber indicator or disconnect, need at least one..

I thought it was "or magazine disconnect" I actually edited my post probably while you were quoting me lol. Thanks for checking.

I thought it was "or magazine disconnect" I actually edited my post probably while you were quoting me lol. Thanks for checking.

lol, I guess I posted right when you were editing.

But yeah, magazine disconnect or loaded chamber indicator is required on anything new sold after March of 2000.

Edit: See, NJ isn't nearly as bad (yet) :D

But yeah, magazine disconnect or loaded chamber indicator is required on anything new sold after March of 2000.

Nope not until 3 years after the first "smart gun" is sold.

Where can you find a Glock without one?

Not in Arizona, Florida, Texas, PA, or Utah.

Oh yeah, they have NFA and can carry. I can carry in Mass. Yes, NJ is so bad.

You can't take your new NJ Glock (with the loaded chamber indicator) to your neighbor's house on foot to show him unless you want 5 to 10 in jail.

Where can you find a Glock without one?

Not in Arizona, Florida, Texas, PA, or Utah.

Oh yeah, they have NFA and can carry. I can carry in Mass. Yes, NJ is so bad.

You can't take your new NJ Glock (with the loaded chamber indicator) to your neighbor's house on foot to show him unless you want 5 to 10 in jail.

So NFA + Carry, OK...NJ is a cesspool but let me put the rose colored glasses on...

I thought we could carry on private land? if I avoid the sidewalk and walk across the lawn I'm compliant? right? as long as he gives me permission? as in right next door...

So NFA + Carry, OK...NJ is a cesspool but let me put the rose colored glasses on...

I thought we could carry on private land? if I avoid the sidewalk and walk across the lawn I'm compliant? right? as long as he gives me permission? as in right next door...

No, you go to jail :D

Handguns are always illegal in NJ except under very specific circumstances. You are going to go to jail unless you read up. Primer: "Private Property" and/or "Permission" just mean JAIL: 5 to 10 years.

No, you go to jail :D

Handguns are always illegal in NJ except under very specific circumstances. You are going to go to jail unless you read up. Primer: "Private Property" and/or "Permission" just mean JAIL: 5 to 10 years.

You are right, can't carry it to the neighbors house (legally). I would keep my mouth shut and carry it concealed next door, I don't know about you but my area isn't bad enough to justify a frisk by LE when walking 50 feet across a lawn and never stepping on city/public property.

Big disclaimer: Don't do this and blame me if you are caught, I'm a risk taker.

Edit: I can meet the neighbor on my property line within inches of the survey mark and be legal. Does that count? ;):p lol

J/K, we all know this State sucks for gun owners, I guess this is the closest we can get to CCW (legally) in NJ

NJ Code of Criminal Justice, Title 2C:39-6

e. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.