Sign in to follow this  
rdsmith3

Moving from FL to NJ -- how to handle firearms?

Where can you find a Glock without one?

Not in Arizona, Florida, Texas, PA, or Utah.

Oh yeah, they have NFA and can carry. I can carry in Mass. Yes, NJ is so bad.

You can't take your new NJ Glock (with the loaded chamber indicator) to your neighbor's house on foot to show him unless you want 5 to 10 in jail.

You can carry in MA, but you're probably going to need several fingers on the trigger to overcome the 50lb trigger pull..........(OK I'm exaggerating a bit)

J/K, we all know this State sucks for gun owners, I guess this is the closest we can get to CCW (legally) in NJ

NJ Code of Criminal Justice, Title 2C:39-6

e. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

That's actually as close as you can get to HAVING a handgun. It makes no difference if you are carrying concealed or have it broken down into parts, locked in a safe, and not a single round of ammo. You're not allowed to posses a handgun for any reason 99.99% of places in New Jersey, including of course your neighbor's house.

Personally I would'nt have said nothing. What guns? 

This^. AFAIK, the satellite that flies overhead and can see down through your roof and determine what is inside is in the shop for repair. Jeebus! Some of you guys are just fraidy scared little girls.

That's actually as close as you can get to HAVING a handgun. It makes no difference if you are carrying concealed or have it broken down into parts, locked in a safe, and not a single round of ammo. You're not allowed to posses a handgun for any reason 99.99% of places in New Jersey, including of course your neighbor's house.

"99.99%" is stretching it ;)

You can:

- Have it in your home, carry it on your property (including place of business) for protection. No duty to retreat first.

- Go to / from a FFL (direct, no unnecessary deviation).

- Go to / from a range (direct, no unnecessary deviation).

Last one doesn't apply to long guns, you can stop at a friends house with a long gun in you car/suv/truck as long as you have an FPID.

Nappen has made the above very clear.

So tell me, how would LE know you are in possession of a handgun outside of the exemptions listed above? unless you give them reason to stop/search you (and you can refuse to consent) how would LE find a handgun in your possession? unless you leave a handgun in open view or have something else that is illegal in plain sight LE has no legal right to search the vehicle.

Keep your mouth shut and take it to a friends house. Legal? no, but if you are smart enough to keep it out of sight and not give LE any  reason to stop you and know your rights go for it.

"99.99%" is stretching it ;)

You can:

- Have it in your home, carry it on your property (including place of business) for protection. No duty to retreat first.

- Go to / from a FFL (direct, no unnecessary deviation).

- Go to / from a range (direct, no unnecessary deviation).

Last one doesn't apply to long guns, you can stop at a friends house with a long gun in you car/suv/truck as long as you have an FPID.

Nappen has made the above very clear.

So tell me, how would LE know you are in possession of a handgun outside of the exemptions listed above? unless you give them reason to stop/search you (and you can refuse to consent) how would LE find a handgun in your possession? unless you leave a handgun in open view or have something else that is illegal in plain sight LE has no legal right to search the vehicle.

Keep your mouth shut and take it to a friends house. Legal? no, but if you are smart enough to keep it out of sight and not give LE any  reason to stop you and know your rights go for it.

Dude, I schooled YOU. I know the rules, and you are the last one to explain them to somebody else :)

But I am glad you looked into it after ALL this time.

Dude, I schooled YOU. I know the rules, and you are the last one to explain them to somebody else :)

But I am glad you looked into it after ALL this time.

I read Nappens book when it first came out, I guess you did too. You didn't school me and I sure as hell didn't school you.

Think of it this way, if you have to ask permission or question the law to exercise ANY constitutional right you are living in the wrong place. NJ is that wrong place.

I read Nappens book when it first came out, I guess you did too. You didn't school me and I sure as hell didn't school you.

Think of it this way, if you have to ask permission or question the law to exercise ANY constitutional right you are living in the wrong place. NJ is that wrong place.

Probably why he doesn't live here...

Probably why he doesn't live here...

I might not be living here for long, looking at Delaware...you get a lot for your money...low taxes...no silly gun laws.

Only problem is CCW...you need 5 references from people in the county you live in (no out of state references) and have to run an ad in the news paper 10 days before applying stating your intention to CCW with your name and address.

But if you can live with that getting a permit seems pretty easy

Edit: I have a Florida non resident CCW so I'm already allowed to CCW in DE, so scratch the above