NJSigfan

Appliance repairs....need some info

Need some help, info...

So apparently our Samsung front loading washer shit the bed today. It's only 4 years old and the basket snapped off its housing. The repairman said it will cost upwards of 800 to repair so it looks like we'll be buying a new one.

My question is, are there any repairman that could use the busted one for parts? If so, send me a note. I have no idea if it's worth anything or salvageable for part but if you can pick up let me know.

Did you contact Samsung about it? 4 years seems like an awfully short lifespan for a washer. Maybe if the problem was a faulty part or bad assembly they might help cover the cost?

Did you contact Samsung about it? 4 years seems like an awfully short lifespan for a washer. Maybe if the problem was a faulty part or bad assembly they might help cover the cost?

Yep, already called them. They said its out of warranty so we're SOL?

Yep, already called them. They said its out of warranty so we're SOL?

If its the motherboard, you can buy them online doing an advance exchange.  They go for about $250 and just about everything electronic control related is on it.

Just make sure its not a sensor or limit switch before popping for the board.

This is why I steer clear of the fully computerized models.  They rap the shit out of you for the electronics.  Its a sin as they only cost about 40-60 to make but with the markups and "service call" to pop it in, the price goes through the roof.  If you must have all the whistles and bells, make sure you have access to parts or take out a contract with Square or another vendor for a fraction of the cost the dealer would sell it for.  Just my advice....

If its the motherboard........

It's definitely NOT the motherboard. LOL.

Do people actually read posts before replying? Maybe NJSigFan updated original post after initial post with more info?

Not the first time I've heard Samsung not backing up their products. Coworker had a Samsung TV go within a few months of it passing regular warranty. They were no help after several calls. I think they may have offered him 10 percent off his next Samsung TV purchase but he had to buy it through them. It would have been cheaper for him to go into Best Buy even with their 10 percent off.

Go to a place that sells scratch & dent items with original warranties. Sears Outlet, UNeeda Appliance, etc. DON'T get another Samsung!

It's definitely NOT the motherboard. LOL.

Do people actually read posts before replying? Maybe NJSigFan updated original posts after initial post with more info?

Yes, I DO read the posts.  He said "it shit the bed".  How do you know from that the unit did not simply die?  PS dead, CPU cooked, etc.

Man, someone asks for help, a member responds and gets reprimanded for it by another member.

As I recall, everyone was very helpful, patient and understanding when reading and replying to your many posts when you did your first AR build. 

Yes, I DO read the posts. He said "it shit the bed". How do you know from that the unit did not simply die? PS dead, CPU cooked, etc.

Man, someone asks for help, a member responds and gets reprimanded for it by another member.

As I recall, everyone was very helpful, patient and understanding when reading and replying to your many posts when you did your first AR build.

Yes they were and I appreciated it.

But in the 2nd sentence he says exactly why it broke. Not reprmanding anyone. Just find it humerous. We all do it.

Now I'm just waiting for someone to suggest maybe a mountain lion some how broke the washer......

If you think you might be able to take it on yourself, and the parts alone aren't too expensive, I bought some dishwasher Samsung parts from this place

http://www.repairclinic.com/

Only worth it it you know you can fix it though.  Sounds like a big job.

I don't know of any places that buy specifically for parts.  You might call some mom and pop shops and ask.  My guess is that they won't want to invest that much into parts that have 4 years on them.

And a comment on Samsung appliances.  I'm not too happy with mine.  Dishwasher has issues.  Fixed it.. Issues remained intermittently. Water flow rate problem.  Hard to fix 100%.  Now the same DW is leaking.  If it's not a hose or something I can fix myslef, it's getting tossed and will buy some other brand.

That is true and I stand corrected.

I missed that line when I read the post.

No worries, thanks for chuckle. Like I said, we all do it a one time or another.

Once I was reading one thread, thought I was responding to it but some how managed to post my reply in a completly diff thread! There's also my classic blunder of confusing Midwest Industries with MidWest PX. That was an interesting phone conversation! :)

4 yrs- that sux bigtime. we just bought a new one 3 weeks ago, wife insisted on a killer one with lots of computer stuff, cant wait for something to break. got 9 yrs off the old one with me fixing a few things along the way. week ago the oven stopped working, I replaced the igniter, tonite the water hose to the fridge starts spraying all over, few months ago worked on our dryer blah blah blah.......applience fixes are driving me nuts! always something breaking : (

It could be the motherboard...

I see what you did there.

There is a famous thread on Freerepublic.com where the title of the thread and the first sentence say one thing that is completely outrageous and reading the next sentence turns it around 100%.    Practically every new entrant to the thread responded to the first bits and the next 3-4 posts after that would correct that person.  Then a new poster and the subsequent corrections.  This went on for thousands of posts, it got to point of the thread was about people not reading and really became very interesting.  I read everything, but I suspect just in this post, I'm already past TL:DR.

After dealing with various and myriad issues with a front loader which we bought in 07 or there abouts, we went back to the "inefficient" top loader.  I like the front loader concept, I specifically like the "near light speed" spin dry, however, the door lock mechanism went twice, the bellows that seals the door tore once, I had to basically pull the entire machine apart to remove lint and "things" (coins etc) from the drain mechanism, and then it started eating clothing.

In any case, to get back to your original - put it on craigslist with the problem disclosed, someone might need the parts.