Sign in to follow this  
RobertJames

Sig Sauer P320

I just picked up my first poymer striker fired hand gun.  My first Sig, too.  I read many positive reviews, Hickok 45 loved it, maybe as much or more than his Glocks.  I like that the fire control group is the serialized part, so that I can get a conversion kit and essentially have a new gun.  Hope to get a .45 ACP conversion next.  Here's a pic of what I got.  Compact frame in 9mm.  Hope to get to the range this weekend for a full report.

BC5ED285-FED2-42A8-856C-ECAD48988AC5_zps

I plan on getting one as soon as my P2P's come in.  I'm going with the 9mm, probably full sized, but I'm not 100% sure about the size yet.

It will be my first Sig as well.  I like that the controls are similar to the Glocks, without a manual safety.

Mind saying where you got yours?

I am under the impression that the .45 is not compatible with the 9,.40,and 357Sig.  I was told by the Sig Sauer Customer service that the .45 platform with have its own Frame sizes to change out but not part of the caliber Conversion modularity of the other calibers.

I am under the impression that the .45 is not compatible with the 9,.40,and 357Sig. I was told by the Sig Sauer Customer service that the .45 platform with have its own Frame sizes to change out but not part of the caliber Conversion modularity of the other calibers.

Well that stinks. I'm hoping that particular rep is mistaken and that I'll be able to get a .45 kit. .357 sig could be interesting though.

I would like to get the P320 full sized in 9mm, but I see that it comes with 17 round mags.  Would anyone know if there are smaller mags available, or does that make the full sized a no-go in NJ?

Alternatively, I might have to settle for the compact, as those mags are 15 rounders.

I am under the impression that the .45 is not compatible with the 9,.40,and 357Sig.  I was told by the Sig Sauer Customer service that the .45 platform with have its own Frame sizes to change out but not part of the caliber Conversion modularity of the other calibers.

It's not the frame size but an issue with the FCU and 45ACP magazines.  The 9mm FCU in its current config can't fit the 45ACP magazine.  I spoke to SIG about this, and what they might end up doing is update the 9mm/40sw/357sig FCUs in a rolling recall/upgrade so they can accommodate the bigger magazines.

Size wise, the 45ACP full size has the same external dimensions as the 9mm full size and uses the same grip modules.

Hope that helps.

I would like to get the P320 full sized in 9mm, but I see that it comes with 17 round mags.  Would anyone know if there are smaller mags available, or does that make the full sized a no-go in NJ?

Alternatively, I might have to settle for the compact, as those mags are 15 rounders.

I believe you can get 10 round mags for the full size 9.

I believe you can get 10 round mags for the full size 9.

From what I understand they're not available yet and no one I've talked to can seem to agree on a time line as to when they'll be available. Best thing you can do is find shop or dealer that can pin the magazines to 15, like the one I'm ordering up.

Picked up my compact model yesterday.  Love the way it shoots, but the slide doesn't lock back after the mag runs empty.

Are they all like that, or is there a problem with mine (or me)?

Is your left palm riding the slide lock/release lever? I always have to slightly modify my grip when I shoot my Sigs so I don't accidentally press down on the slide release lever.

Picked up my compact model yesterday.  Love the way it shoots, but the slide doesn't lock back after the mag runs empty.

Are they all like that, or is there a problem with mine (or me)?

User error.  Your probably riding the slide release and don't realize it.  Try shooting weak hand and you will notice that it will tend to lock back..

Source: I also used to be a Glock guy and some habits don't translate.

How about the compact frame with full size slide?

http://www.southernshootersgunsandgear.com/product.sig-p320-9mm-compact-w-full-length-slide-6

Buy a full sized P320 and a compact grip.  Long slide and 15 round magazines.

Thanks folks.  Some good suggestions here.  I suspected the problem might be with me and not the gun, as when I pull the slide back on an empty mag, it locks back.  

User error.  Your probably riding the slide release and don't realize it.  Try shooting weak hand and you will notice that it will tend to lock back..

Source: I also used to be a Glock guy and some habits don't translate.

Yes, I don't have that problem with my Glocks, or even with my Springfield Armory 9mm.  

Yes, I don't have that problem with my Glocks, or even with my Springfield Armory 9mm.  

Slide release on a Glock is further forward on the frame.  On the P320 its further back.  If you shoot thumbs high, you may be putting pressure on it.  

I never did think of that. I just ordered up the full frame and had the mags reduced to 15 (once again thank you Steve of Monmouth Arms for setting that all up for me). Put the first 150 rounds through it today and have no regrets about the purchase. Definitely a great shooting pistol. I can see how the some of the previous posters had problems as my hands are big and my thumbs  end up on the slide lock and take down lever. I haven't had the problem above yet, but I'll keep my eye on it and try to position accordingly.