mikelets456

Ex-boyfriend sought in woman's slaying while waiting for permit!

So did any body get this article when they clicked on it? http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/news/crime/2015/06/05/gun-permit-prioritize-bowne/28551965/

The senators — Dawn Addiego and Diane Allen, both R-Burlington, and Jennifer Beck, R-Monmouth — said their bill would "prioritize" permit requests for applicants with current restraining orders.

"The bill does not impact current laws, requirements or standards regarding the qualifications for or awarding of a permit," the said in a statement.

"Residents protected by a court-ordered restraining order have proven to a judge that they are in danger and in need of protection," said Allen. "We hope this legislation will speed up the approval process for survivors of domestic violence who want to purchase a firearm to protect themselves or their children."

I saw this on the "GOA Alerts" on Facebook.  Which is linked up to 

http://www.thefederalistpapers.org/second-amendment-2/outrageous-nj-woman-brutally-murdered-while-waiting-for-pistol-permit-to-protect-herself

Yes Fox and rt news needs to pick up on this, and NRAILIA and other pro-gun outlets. And someone needs to ask CC about this and what he intends to do as Governor to prevent something like this from this happening again. (I know he can't change the laws, but put him on the spot and ask him any way.)

Lemme guess what CC will have to say on this?

"New Jersey is Special"..............................

I posted the story at another gun forum

"NJ Woman Brutally Murdered While Waiting for Pistol Permit to Protect Herself"

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=9928427

Edit: Also posted at the open carry forum

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?130138-NJ-Woman-Brutally-Murdered-While-Waiting-for-Pistol-Permit-to-Protect-Herself&p=2146153#post2146153

from Mr Roberts....

Ok, so, this is what I've managed to find out today. I spoke to the Berlin Twp Chief of Police this morning, who referred me to the Camden Co Prosecutors Office Spokesperson, but did answer a few questions. He confirmed that Ms Bowne applied for an FID Card and two Pistol Purchase Permits on April 21st. He denied local media reports from neighbors that there had been a noticeable police patrol presence in the neighborhood ( including one patrol car allegedly parked for hours around the corner from her home) in the last week or two leading up to the murder. He referred questions regarding if there was an ongoing history of police responses to Ms Bowne's home address for DV issues or any other reason to the PIO for the Camden Co Prosecutors Office

I left a voice mail for the PIO at Cam Co Prosecutors Office late this morning, identifying myself as an independent journalist writing for a National Website and had some basic questions. Also stated I was on deadline and would appreciate a prompt response. Crickets thus far. I even tried to call the guy back again an hour ago, straight to voicemail.

After an hour of the NJSP Firearms Unit, the NJSP PIO Office and the State AG Criminal Justice Division Office all passing me off to each other like a 5 dollar Vietnamese hooker, I have yet to receive any reply from ANY of the aforementioned pertaining to average length of time to process, receive and distribute to the appropriate LEO agency the electronic fingerprints. No response from anyone as of yet.

As I stated in another post, I have it on VERY reliable sources that barring any computer down time, unusual names, false positive hits or other unpredictable delays, the average time for the collection, bulk transmission to the FBI, background check and distribution to the appropriate agency is 7 to 10 business days.

I spoke briefly with the PIO for Morpho Trust ( formerly Morpho Track, owned by a French conglomerate named Sagem Morpho) and explained that I was trying to understand the process and if it was true that the individual records were collected in the satellite offices, electronically transmitted to a central collection center in Florida and then batch transmitted to the FBI for processing. I also asked if this process was done in real time or " near real time" as most people would believe when dealing with emailed records or if there might be an inherent delay in the process waiting to transmit in bulk to the Feds. He promised to find out the answers and get back to me. Nothing as of yet.

I spoke to a very close friend that is a former Chief of Police in South Jersey who was Chief a few years back during the transition phase from the old fashioned paper print cards and US Mail over to the current system. He stated to me that even under the old way, again barring any unusual circumstances, Fed Holidays and the like, the process would routinely be wrapped up with results in hand within 5 to 6 weeks. He also told me that during the transition to the current system, he was told by either his Sgt that was in charge of administering it OR possibly by a Trooper, that the new system would cut the process down to a few DAYS !

Now, here's where things get interesting. I did receive a reply from the PIO for the FBI CJIS ( Criminal Justice Investigative Services Div /NICS) what follows is copied DIRECTLY from his email to me earlier this afternoon.

" Because firearm background checks do not include fingerprints at a federal level, the response times specifically for Firearms Background Checks required by a state cannot be determined by the Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division. State agencies submitting fingerprints to the FBI for such purposes should be contacted for further assistance.

The CJIS Division can provide the response times for the Civil fingerprint ransactions for the month of April 2015: Current Month Response times = 3hrs 52 mins and 4 seconds, and Fiscal Year Average Response Times = 3 hrs 3 mins and 8 seconds. These are completed in real time and the response is returned to the submitting agency."

What this tells me ( reading between the lines of CYA , bureaucratic double speak) is that the FBI certainly has the ability and routinely performs criminal background checks on the Civilian side ( non firearms purchasing related ) on average in as little as just under FOUR HOURS and they are completed and returned in REAL TIME.

It is my belief that the now standard NJ excuse of " blame the FBI for the delays" is nothing but a huge, steaming pile of bullshit. Either that or the State Police would have everyone believe that the FBI is able to run a background check for a non firearms related purpose in ONE day and return the results, but when it comes to Firearms Purchaser ID Cards or Pistol Purchase Permit issuance, all of a sudden it takes them 1,2,3,4 sometimes up to SIX months to do it.

Now, does anyone actually believe that ?

Its just a single piece in the puzzle, and I may be overstating its significance, but to me, this is a smoking gun of sorts that goes a long way to proving beyond a reasonable doubt that theses absurd delays, like the one experienced by Ms Bownes are simply another part of the deliberately engineered mechanism concocted by the Legislature, the Courts, the AG's Office and the Superintendent of the State Police Office to make the process as time consuming, odious, invasive and frustrating as possible in order to discourage as many as possible from even bothering to try. And innocent people pay for this with their lives.

My long time buddy and his wife has known her for many years. They're going to her funeral and she had no kids.

Guess what?

She did attempt to apply for a NJ "carry" permit and was.......DENIED.

Hows all this "common sense" workin out for you assinine fucktard libs in nj??? GFYS.

A always, IMHO, Bob has best expressed our collective feelings on this tragic situation.

Cross-pollination here: http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/72109-no-firearms-used-can-society-admit-that-its-not-firearms-that-are-the-problem-but-violence-itself-that-is-the-problem/?p=975977

Justifiable need my ass...

I'm not one to push an agenda in light of a tragedy, but if Ms Browne did apply for a permit to carry and was denied, it proves that justifiable need is a crock of shit. Would the denial be public information?

BREAKING: He was found dead. Details to follow.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Stabbing-Ex-Girlfriend-to-Death-Eitel-Bowne-306376251.html

A man who police say stabbed and killed his ex-girlfriend outside her South Jersey home ended his own life.

Michael Eitel, 45, was on the run from authorities since Wednesday night when police say he stabbed Carol Bowne to death in the driveway of her West Berlin, New Jersey home.

On Saturday afternoon, Berlin Township Police said that Eitel was found hanged in a shed behind his home.

Carol Bowne, 39, and Eitel dated for some time after the woman's husband died in a motorcycle crash, but the hairstylist later took out a restraining order against the man after he became violent against her, according to authorities.

So did any body get this article when they clicked on it? http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/news/crime/2015/06/05/gun-permit-prioritize-bowne/28551965/

The senators — Dawn Addiego and Diane Allen, both R-Burlington, and Jennifer Beck, R-Monmouth — said their bill would "prioritize" permit requests for applicants with current restraining orders.

"The bill does not impact current laws, requirements or standards regarding the qualifications for or awarding of a permit," the said in a statement.

"Residents protected by a court-ordered restraining order have proven to a judge that they are in danger and in need of protection," said Allen. "We hope this legislation will speed up the approval process for survivors of domestic violence who want to purchase a firearm to protect themselves or their children."

Someone needs to have a chat with these legislators and explain that a broader solution that speeds up the process for everyone needs to be pushed at this time. The bill they are proposing will only make it more difficult to fix the unlawful and totally unnecessary delays in the process we have now, for anyone who can't prove they have an active threat against them. The real question that needs to be asked is why do we need to waste police resources to conduct a background on someone before they buy a firearm when they are going to get a more through background check when they pick up their gun from a dealer? - NICS checks have made that obsolete. We should be pushing for the elimination of the need to have an FPID card or PPP to buy from an FFL. (I know most of us here would like to see the same for FTF, but at least with FFL purchases the antis can't say the buyer hasn't had a background check done).

The paperwork, fees, fingerprint requirements and foot dragging by issuing agencies that goes on is a deterrent to new people getting into shooting - and the antis know it. The easier we can make it to buy guns, the more people will get into the shooting sports.

The easier we can make it to buy guns, the more people will get into the shooting sports.

I'd like to propose that this be modified to something like, "The less obstructive the process for law-abiding citizens to acquire firearms, the more law-abiding citizens will be able to exercise their 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms (for lawful purposes)."

This truly sad story is the states fault.

No. It is the dead boyfriend's fault. She also could have done more to protect herself. I'm not saying that any blame is hers. One must do what one must do if a life is in danger, no matter if it is against the law or not. "It is better to be judge by 12, then carried by 6".

its amazing how many people are posting in this thread but no ones made a peep in the protest thread i made about today's rally with signs in front of sweeneys house.

IMO, the people who do that are assholes. Go to his office or Trenton to protest. Leave his personal life alone.

well he doesn't seem to care about our personal lives, so F him

Yes, but we ARE better than him and we should prove it.

As far as the tragedy goes, I shared a nj.com story about it. I'm trying to get people to spread it around and let the state know we have a right to live. If enough voices speak someone will listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. It is the dead boyfriend's fault. She also could have done more to protect herself. I'm not saying that any blame is hers. One must do what one must do if a life is in danger, no matter if it is against the law or not. "It is better to be judge by 12, then carried by 6".

I call bullshit Paul.

Do more like what?

Try to get an illegal gun? Rational people try to abide by the law.

She was a victim of her ex and the laws of nj

you know the politicians always say "if we can only save one life"  well guess what...they failed.  this needs to be hammered home over and over again. 

this was and is a case CLEARLY for justifiable need and the system failed her.  now we will never know what the outcome would have been if she had a CCW or a weapon.  but the playing field would have been even and that to me is what is is about - my right to protect and defend myself.

the right to bear arms is not a god given right it is a right created by man - for all of us.  you don't want to carry a gun - fine don't. 

but don't tell me i can't; its not your decision.   Rest in peace Carol, I can only hope that from your death something good can come from it so that we as law bidding citizens can protect ourselves.  

...after all if we can save only one life....isn't it worth it?

And another thing. Ya know what? Don't even give the fuckers the courtesy of a "perhaps a handgun wouldn't have protected her anyway"

She was stabbed in her driveway where it would have been legal to posses the gun!

Until the Berlin PD proves It s not their delay I feel her death is on their hands. My blood is boiling over this. Ms Browne your death will not got to waste. Something will change.

It's the truth. The chances that she would have carried a loaded handgun in her driveway are almost zero. She was probably going somewhere or coming from somewhere. Considering she feared for her life, I doubt she walked outside to confront the person she expected to kill her or wandered outside to investigate a knock at the door.

The truth is, no woman in Jersey will have any chance of protecting themselves from criminals/exboyfriends/etc. intent on killing them until carry is legal in Jersey. Well, except for the really stupid criminals.