Sign in to follow this  
jermz1987

Any ferret Owners Here?

So a ferret came up to me in my yard. It wont stop fallowing me. I took him and checked every house on the block looking for the owner. No Luck. called both police stations and left info with no luck. He is deffently someones pet. He is way to freindly and actually uses a box I set up for him to go to the bathroom. Its been a few days with no one coming forward. Id hate to give him to a shelter that will euthinize him. Any advice? I do not know the first thing about ferrets. I purchased some ferret food.  If I cannot find the owner. Anyone interested in a ferret?

I have had ferrets before. I think ours ate meow mix.

If he is "free ranging" in your house, not destroying anything, and pooping in a litter box why not keep him?

I have had ferrets before. I think ours ate meow mix.

If he is "free ranging" in your house, not destroying anything, and pooping in a litter box why not keep him?

Agreed! Sounds like a good pet and a good friend! I'd keep the little bugger!

My sister has 4 of the stinky bastards. They are really cool. Gotta watch out they steal shiny stuff and stash it, like car keys. She has a cage for them, and they have their own room. They come and go from the cage as they please, and sleep in hammocks all together in a big fur ball. They dig playing with toys as well.

Both are very true. I wouldn't think someone would just get rid of them. They are excellent escape artists. When I was a kid, my sister had one and it always went to the neighbors house to play in the back yard with their cat. Never knew how the little bugger got out of the house.

They are awesome creatures though. And yes, super intelligent. They bounce around making the funniest noises.

Irish Petes Wife knows about ferrets, her kids have one.

Sounds like someone got tired of caring for it and let it go. Such a shame.

they are very intelligent creatures

Keep him ! They are easy . The eat ferret kibble , and need fresh water. If he is litter trained you are way ahead of the curve. Our spends about 2 to 4 hours out of his cage a day.

They have no dander ..and are great pets for someone who can't have a dog or cat for whatever reason.

Would you consider keeping it ?

I tried craigslist and posted on a facebook page dedicated to lost animals, So we shall see. If no one claims him in a week Ill probably look for a good home. I would love to keep him but I don't have the time to give him the attention he deserves.  No name yet yet. 

EFB7BA02-CC66-47D2-A961-AC9CB9E9D552.jpg

I hope someone didn't just open the door because they didn't want it anymore, but unfortunately in this day you can't put it past anyone.

Good luck with it. I had a few when I was younger. They are definitely smart and cool pets.

Did you call your local animal control? Allot of times the police do not notify animal control of found animals. And yeah people can be scumbags. I picked up a ferret in a raritan borough laundromat. It just walked in because someone let it out and abandoned it

We had an albino ferret for years.  One of the dumbest animals I've ever seen.  Each day it would look at us as if it had completely forgotten who we were and were brand new playmates.  Most amusing thing was giving it a bath and then putting it on the kitchen floor with a towel and watching it go berserk trying to get dry.