Was shooting last week with my S&W M&P 22 handgun.  Ammo was Remington 22LR hollow points(from a "Bucket of Bullets" I purchased several months ago).  After approx 175 rounds downrange, when I pulled the trigger, it sort of went bang.  However, I also felt some of the products of combustion hit me in the face and smoke coming out of the rear of my slide.  Clearly something had gone wrong.  Retrieved the spent shell which is pictured below.  I immediately field stripped and inspected the gun. No apparent damage.  Shot about 30 rounds of a different brand afterwards with no issues.  Then called it a night.

Btw, good thing I was wearing my safety glasses over my prescription eyeglasses.

Any idea what may have caused this?  I assume bad ammo.  Or,  could it have been some sort of missfeed on the part of the gun?  Appreciate any feedback.

i-C5g2JL2-L.jpg

i-zZcNvv5-L.jpg

I've had the same thing happen to me a couple of times.  Both with my 10/22 which has successfully fired tens of thousands of rounds over 30 years.  You inspected the gun.  I would not sweat it.  If I was shooting .45's and had a blow out like this I might be more concerned. 

In a word Remington. There are few who produce worse ammo then Remington.

I don't believe this one bit, it clearly states "NEW AND IMPROVED!" on the bucket.

BucketOBullets.jpg

OP did say they were several months old though...may have been the "OLDER AND WORSE" type.  :laugh:

That's what you get for trying to reload .22s!!! :nono:

Never had that happen to me yet but I have heard of it happening. It's not your gun, don't even know if it's bad ammo.

I think it's more like a few things going wrong at the exact same time. Could happen at anytime to anyone!