JohnnyB

Saiga IZ132 Question

I have a Saiga IZ132 in original condition except for it has the bullet guide installed and the mag release has been shaved down to use both Saiga and standard AK mags.

I have not decided yet to do a full conversion but I have read on other forums statement like below.

Absolutely great rifle and I left mine unconverted. The trigger is rough but breaks in nicely. The weapon needs virtually zero maintenance to run reliably. If you decide to use any legally owned 10+ round magazines be aware of 922r compliance. All you need to to is switch out the handguard with an American one (i.e. Tapco) to get your parts count right.

Am I not in compliance with 922r if this is the only mod to the rifle and I do use a 15 round AK mag???

Quote from gunwiki. However, it is not certain that converting one to accept AK-47 magazines automatically triggers a need for 922® compliance.

It would appear as though even they are unsure if the bullet guide mod alone requires that I complete the full AK conversion to fall within 922r compliance.

Any other opinions on this one??? I really don't want to do the full conversion on this before I have a chance to take it to the range for the first time!

Quote from gunwiki. However, it is not certain that converting one to accept AK-47 magazines automatically triggers a need for 922® compliance.

It would appear as though even they are unsure if the bullet guide mod alone requires that I complete the full AK conversion to fall within 922r compliance.

Any other opinions on this one??? I really don't want to do the full conversion on this before I have a chance to take it to the range for the first time!

the capacity to accept foreign mags does not trigger 922 compliance.. using them on the other hand? who knows..

technically my mindset has always been this.. the gun is imported in a "sporting configuration".. if you change the gun from a non sporting configuration you would then IMO need to follow 922 compliance.. typically flash hider.. pistol grip.. and IMO use of larger capacity mags.. 

with all that said your original quote is nonsense at best.. the gun is so substantially better converted it does not even feel like the same gun.. well worth it.. 

the capacity to accept foreign mags does not trigger 922 compliance.. using them on the other hand? who knows..

technically my mindset has always been this.. the gun is imported in a "sporting configuration".. if you change the gun from a non sporting configuration you would then IMO need to follow 922 compliance.. typically flash hider.. pistol grip.. and IMO use of larger capacity mags.. 

with all that said your original quote is nonsense at best.. the gun is so substantially better converted it does not even feel like the same gun.. well worth it.. 

Thank Vlad.  The nonsense quote in blue was not my thoughts, but a post on another site.

Can you suggest a kit and a sit to get it from? I checked tons of sites last night and cant seem to find one complete kit with everything in it.

I have the bullet guide installed and really don't want to mess with the gas tube. My 2 choices are tacticool like my ARs or traditional with wood furniture (I like this idea better)! I just can't tell

if the wood is ok for the Saiga without moving the gas tube.

Thanks in advance Vlad for any further advice you can give me.

carolina shooter supply is who I would use.. dinzag is great but CSS has become a solid one stop shop.. 

WHAT to buy depends on budget... lol

Vlad,

I got a conversion kit from CSS as you suggested. OMG!!!!!!  What a difference in the trigger!!!!!  The conversion was easy and quick! I am waiting on the wood laminate furniture, AK gas tube and the needed brackets.

I can't tell you how pleased I am with the feel of the trigger now!  No Saiga should exist in it's original form!!!  Thanks Vlad!