Grendel327

Best town in north Jersey

Even here were behind enemy lines. For you it's 22 miles to America. 24 for me. I plan on closing that distance to 0. I feel bad for this guy he's going the opposite direction... luckily for me the entire country needs there toilets to flush. If NYC was the only city with plumbing, I would have been an electrician B)

HAHA that's why I said a "sliver" Mt. Olive at least appreciates 2A to some extent and abides by the "rules"

from my experiences. I'd love to go 25'ish mi west but you know why I can't :p

HAHA that's why I said a "sliver" Mt. Olive at least appreciates 2A to some extent and abides by the "rules"

from my experiences. I'd love to go 25'ish mi west but you know why I can't :p

I hear ya, why I want to get before I'm stuck. I'm getting a little old to start having kids, but Laura is 9 years younger and she wants one.

If you are commuting to NYC focus on places that have access to mass transit. I've been commuting there for 27 years and at 28 I'll be done. Bergen is very commutable and you'll pay it in your taxes, Essex county as well. What they also have in common is they are as blue as blue can be politically.

Morris is very commutable to NYC, I'm 27 miles to the port of authority, and it's a republican county. Much better on property taxes and 2a.

I worked in the city for 4 years.  As others have said above, if you have a crappy commute, you're going to hate life.

I would look for a town that has a train.   I lived in Montclair and I took the bus every day but I could walk a mile or so and take the train and did whenever I had the chance.  If I could have had a half mile walk I would have taken the train every day.

I guess it also depends on where you're working in the city.    If you work downtown and can catch a path train I definitely wouldn't get on a bus.   Hopping on the subway after the bus gets annoying.

Hi all. New guy here. I'm nj born and raised, but have lived in PA for the last 4 years. I now have to move back to NJ for work, so my question is, what town in north jersey is best for gun owners? I know all the general laws about magazine capacity, flash hiders, naughty features on rifles, etc.

I ask because I know that the issuing of FID cards and pistol permits can vary greatly from town to town. My buddy in Plainsboro had his FID and pistol permits in 3 weeks, but a co-worker in Jersey City said it took over 4 months. Seems like every town is different, and some are just awful.

So if you were moving to north jersey (most likelyBergen county) what town would you pick? I'm mainly concerned about the pistol permit as I sold mine a while ago and would like to buy another soon.

Thanks in advance

Depending on your finances the best, most gun-friendly towns in northern NJ are Matamoras and Milford.

Thanks all.

Hows about Clifton or Waldwick?

Clifton is a shithole these days. Was nice at one time. I used to live in the Dutch Hill section, in the early 80's. Allwood is the only half way decent area left in that town. My sister lives in the Maple Valley section. Schools there suck, unless your trying to raise your children to become bloods and crips. then it's perfect. Upper Montclair would be a better choice or Wayne if you have to live in Passaic county. Wayne has a train station down in the flood zone by 23.

Deerslayer,

What about montclair? Is that different from upper montclair? The wife saw a house in Montclair that she likes, and taxes weren't NJ awful either.

Thanks

I lived in Montclair.  It depends on where the house is.   The town is nice, there's a lot of "culture" and hippy liberal crap, but you do get good food and a generally safe environment.   That said, it really depends on where...if you can get near the Watchung, Walnut or Bay street train stops, you're golden.    I lived down towards Nishuane park and there were always car thieves cracking their stolen vehicles up on the curve on High Street on the weekends.   They'd steal cars off the street and high speed run to West Orange and lose it.  It's probably not like that any longer, that was in the mid to late 90s.

Deerslayer,

What about montclair? Is that different from upper montclair? The wife saw a house in Montclair that she likes, and taxes weren't NJ awful either.

Thanks

What street is it on?  There is a difference between Montclair and Upper Montclair.  

Thanks all.

Hows about Clifton or Waldwick?

totally different. Waldwick is a good solid, clean mid class town but like everywhere around here(Brgen cnty) getting crowded. I grew up there and live next to it now,Midland Pk very nice area and we are surrounded by more affluent towns such as Ridgwood, Wyckoff, Upper Saddle River, HoHoKus etc. It does have a growing latino community but from what i know they are not an issue anymore than anyone else is. Good schools, shopping, train runs thru the middle of it and is walking distence from a lot of neighborhoods. Rt 17 cuts thru it and partitions off a section thats a little awkward. but sorry dont know the Fpid process there but like others said, whats more important- your everyday home/quality of life or a few weeks here and there waiting on gun permits.

Siderman- How is Waldwick for FID/PP?

Thanks

I should have mentioned this before- overall liveability does come first, commuting factors in of course, but the towns 2A friendliness will also be a deciding factor- not THE factor, but one of many. Say we like two towns the same and one is more 2A, then it wiill make the difference. I dont have zip code envy, so as long as my commute is less than an hour im happy.

FWIW.. there is a Martz bus heading directly into NYC about five minutes from the DWG. I was going to do that but I didn't get hired there (for the better). My dad used to take it and he was in the PABT in about an hour.

Deerslayer,

Thanks

There's a difference for sure. Upper Montclair is all nice. Montclair has its good and bad parts. The end by Bloomfield isn't as nice. Your getting closer to Newark down that way. The closer you get to that city the worse the neighborhoods get.

Your still looking too far east though. Look at this map, look to the left of Montclair, you'll see Denville that's as far east as you should go IMO to live. It's still close enough to the city to commute. Route 287 is the line in the sand where NJ goes from good to bad you want to be on the west side of that line trust me.

e5eb736af92a2ff6122f992c711e677c.jpg

It is on Hollywood ave (of course it is)

Thanks

I think it's near nishuane park. South of Bloomfield ave and east of the reservation. I'd pass.

If I were moving to Montclair it would be north of Claremont ave and even closer to watchung if possible.

Deerslayer- I did a little more research... Upper is a lot nicer. I don't mind spending for a nice home, but damn! Them taxes almost gave me a nose bleed. No thank you...

Why... that's a small price to pay to be Stephen Colbert's neighbor. :lol: it's an extremely expensive town to live in. Seriously look into Denville. it's a great town and gets you close enough to work. Train is right there takes you right to NYC.

Grendel327:

My wife and I moved from Manhattan to Summit, NJ back in the late 1990's.  Part of the appeal of this town for us was and is:

• Close to Manhattan for commuting to my office. I drive in and out daily, and my commute varies depending on traffic, weather and construction/accidents beyond my control and takes anywhere from 45 mins. to 1 hr. 15 mins.
  • Located in the fork formed by the juncture of Rts 78 and 24, Summit's NJ Transit train station is served by two commuter rail lines: the Morris & Essex Line and the Gladstone Branch, going to both NY Penn Station and the Hoboken Terminal, connecting to the PATH trains or the Ferry Service. The train trip to Manhattan is more consistent at just under one hour.
  • Summit has a population of approx. 22,000 residents, that span the full economic spectrum, but is considered a "wealthy" suburban town, in the northwest corner of Union County.
  • The public schools are very good, currently ranked as the 26th best in NJ.
  • The mostly pre-war housing stock comes in diversified architectural styles, with most homes having been significantly renovated in the past 20 years.
  • The real estate taxes are high, but not as high as they are in similar towns in Bergen County, such as Ridgewood or Upper Montclair in Essex County, (where I spent 12 years of my youth from elementary school to the start of high school.  Our home was up the hill from Highland Ave. adjacent to the Mills Reservation County Park, ideal location for kids...).  Summit has two Pharma companies with facilities in town that helps offset the real estate tax bill to its residents.  Also, trash and recycleables collection, as well as municipal sewer system are included in our taxes.
  • Summit is only a 15 min. drive from Newark Liberty Inter'l. Airport for the times you need and/or want to get out of the Garden State for either work or pleasure travel.
  • My application for a Firearms ID Card took around 9-10 weeks to process.  Subsequent Pistol Purchase Permits took between 10-12 weeks, primarly due to delayed responses from references, but not unresonable by comparison to some other towns.
  • The majority of residents vote Republican, but we have had a good Democrat Mayor in the past decade.
  • The downtown retail center offers interesting shopping and dining options, but parking is a PITA, as it is in most NJ towns.
  • (EDIT) - I forgot to pass along a rumor that NY Giants Quarterback Eli Manning may be selling his Hoboken condo and buying a house in Summit....  Here is the link to the article:
    http://hoboken411.com/archives/76502

For these reasons, I suggest that you add Summit to the list of towns you check out and consider. 

Wherever you decide to move too I wish you all the best in your new home....

AVB-AMG

Clifton is a shithole these days. Was nice at one time. I used to live in the Dutch Hill section, in the early 80's. Allwood is the only half way decent area left in that town. My sister lives in the Maple Valley section. Schools there suck, unless your trying to raise your children to become bloods and crips. then it's perfect. Upper Montclair would be a better choice or Wayne if you have to live in Passaic county. Wayne has a train station down in the flood zone by 23.

On top of all this, Clifton is one of the WORST towns for FPID/PPP apps. I routinely hear stories about 9 month waits and having to chase down the people that process the apps because they don't respond to inquires.

On top of all this, Clifton is one of the WORST towns for FPID/PPP apps. I routinely hear stories about 9 month waits and having to chase down the people that process the apps because they don't respond to inquires.

I believe that, half my family are Clifton cops, they're lazy lol... although most of them are retired now.

Why... that's a small price to pay to be Stephen Colbert's neighbor. :lol: it's an extremely expensive town to live in. Seriously look into Denville. it's a great town and gets you close enough to work. Train is right there takes you right to NYC.

I second this. I've lived in Denville for 19 years. It's a nice small town. Taxes are a little high but services are excellent. Great road department in the winter. PD process P2P and FPID in the 30 day window or faster. Lots of community activities throughout the year.

Train from Denville station to NY Penn is a bit more than an hour.

I second this. I've lived in Denville for 19 years. It's a nice small town. Taxes are a little high but services are excellent. Great road department in the winter. PD process P2P and FPID in the 30 day window or faster. Lots of community activities throughout the year.

Train from Denville station to NY Penn is a bit more than an hour.

Yeah stay out of Shongum, and the taxes are pretty good there. I personally like the Boonton twp. end of Diamond Spring road, or the area of Pocono that borders Mtn Lakes. The area near the Rockaway border near Morris ave. is nice also. Denville is where I would live if I still worked in NYC. When I lived in Wayne/Clifton it took just as long to commute as it does from Denville to NYC.

BTW Eff NYC... I changed careers because I hated going there everyday that much.

I think Nutley might be worth taking a look at. Nice neighborhood, multiple NYC transportation options, okay schools. I forget the ranking, my recollection was not spectactular, but still above median. Can't speak for FID/P2P wait.

Clifton is a pretty big town and as people have mentioned, there are ton of different neigborhoods with completely different characteristics. I'm fortunate to be in a decent area with a nice elementary school, but I'm going to have to go with private schools for higher grades, assuming we haven't moved by then.

I think you're mistaking Clifton for another town because P2Ps are routinely a 2 month wait. An appointment is required, which depending on your own flexibillity can be a 1-3 week wait. Initial FIDs were running around 5+ months when I got mine due to short staffing at the county adjuster but I'd expect that the time will have shortened a bit by now.

The area near Nishuane park in Montclair is still shady at best. I live in West Orange, halfway up Eagle Rock Ave, about a mile from the Montclair border. I'm comfortable with my neighborhood, but go a quarter mile down the hill and I'd move in a heartbeat. The line CAN be that fine.

That whole area where Montclair/West Orange/Orange all "touch" is hardly a great place to live. Montclair is such a mixed bag. Parts of it (like South Mountain and Upper Mountain Ave's) are homes to millionaires galore and are as family friendly and picturesque as you can imagine. Other parts are just a small step above Newark. The Church St. and Park St. areas have so much good shopping/food/bars/culture, but it's hardly worth the mountain of property taxes you'll have to pay for a nicer home, or the completely liberal mindset of the whole town, including most of the wealthier residents. And if you have kids, I'd hardly recommend sending your kids to Montclair High. Almost all Montclair families who can afford it send their kids to MKA, Immaculate, Seton Hall Prep, etc.

If commute and 2A rights are paramount, I agree with most here that Morris County is your best bet. Yes, it's further from the city but an hour on a train can't be compared to an hour (or much more) to drive less than 15 miles into the city. Like others say, also depends on where your office is in NYC.