jm1827

Things to do in Philly?

Taking my daughter to a concert at Lincoln Financial field tonight, we are dropping her and her friends off, so the wife and I and our 11 year son are going to need something to do for 5 hours or so. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the suggestions, one clarification, we will be in Philly from 5:00 PM to around 11:00 PM, and it looks like many of the museums & other day time events close at 5:00PM

You can walk around Independence Square, Penn's Landing, Elfreths Alley at night and they are still interesting.   I've not been there in a number of years, so I don't know if it's still a safe area after dark.

OMG Pat's and Gino's both suck. Please don't feed the tourist trap. 

Go to Reading Terminal Market or China Town to eat and then walk around that area. Within walking distance is The Liberty Bell and historic Olde City and Society Hill. 

Exactly! Pats and Ginos both are crap.

Jimmy's on 5th and South street uses real meat. Tony Luke's in south philly on E Oregon Ave is the original spot. Their roasted pork and broccoli rabe is awesome! The chicken cheese steak is amazing and their cheesesteaks are out of this world as well!

OMG Pat's and Gino's both suck. Please don't feed the tourist trap. 

Go to Reading Terminal Market or China Town to eat and then walk around that area. Within walking distance is The Liberty Bell and historic Olde City and Society Hill. 

Johns roast pork as well. Don't forget the sharp provolone with the roast pork and broccoli rabe sandwich. Also, chickies and Petes is not bad (crab fries). But, no shame in going to pats/Genos if you have never been. Reading terminal market, walk around constitution mall, check out steps of philly museum of art (rocky run).

Good call on Reading Terminal Market! That place is awesome! Don't know how late it's open 

Until 8PM. Go get a Roast Pork with Rabe and Sharp Provolone sandwich from Dinic's. Won the "Best Sandwich in America" on the Travel Channel. Best. Sammich.Ever. 

Thanks for the suggestion I always wanted to try Gino's

Skip both because they both suck and head down Washington Ave to the extensive Vietnamese community with any number of Pho joints and the small but comprehensive Little Italy on 8'th street.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions, we ended up hanging at Penn's landing for most of the time, and with the exception of the Islamic festival that was taking place it worked out very well!

I doubt you can legally carry in Philly (outside of a car) these days but if you can, the Phillies started a policy about 3 years ago that they will not check civilian guns. It used to be that you sneaked it in (which you still can) and if you got caught you would go the the other entrance and ask to have it checked. Now you can't, and I wouldn't try to sneak it in a second time after being caught.

I doubt you can legally carry in Philly (outside of a car) these days but if you can, the Phillies started a policy about 3 years ago that they will not check civilian guns. It used to be that you sneaked it in (which you still can) and if you got caught you would go the the other entrance and ask to have it checked. Now you can't, and I wouldn't try to sneak it in a second time after being caught.

Thanks for the heads up.  I doubt there were many guns on Philly stadium the night we were at Lincoln Financial stadium, there was a Barry Manilow concert going on!

That is where we ended up both before and after dinner, had a great time.  It really was a perfect solution to entertaining a 11 year old boy and a 40 something wife, there was an ice cream truck and a beer truck both in close proximity.