Sign in to follow this  
ColtPistols

1911 Gunsmith

What ramp is on the frame?  What ramp barrel do you want?

Many of the good manufacturers make multiple barrels that can suit your needs depending on whether you have a ramp and what type of ramp.  I would suggest getting a barrel that would fit the frame rather than welding and then cutting again.  In the long run, I think it's going to cost more than getting a barrel that matches your frame.

This is probably a PITA in NJ as you need permits but the other suggestion is to sell the frame and get the frame with the right ramp.

Call Clark Custom in Louisiana. Great people, extremely knowledgeable.

"Fully Supported Ramped (Clark / Para) barrels ® are available in all popular calibers. Threaded models (T) are threaded .575" - 40 tpi to a length of 2-1/2" from tip of muzzle to fit most cone-style compensators. 1911 .45 ACP Standard Ramp 7" Barrels coming soon."

http://clarkcustomguns.com/parts-category/1911

I have the para ramped barrel now, but unfortunately nobody makes a long enough one, for what I want. I want to build another .460 Rowland but with a longer barrel. The barrel I found has a standard ramp, but I am going to try to get another P14 and have a gunsmith weld the frame and machine the standard ramp into it. I ruled out other double stacks for various reasons...nobody seems to make exactly what I want. All this is only if I can find a decent gunsmith and find out what it costs. If they made the para ramp barrels longer I would certainly rather stick to that.

You are looking to have a custom job done either way. Why not have the barrel be the custom part and leave the frame unmolested. I am a machinist and do my own gunsmithing, I dont work on others. To weld a block into frame or build up the frame with a weld then indicate it into a machine and re-cut the ramp, plus all of the cleanup work would take several hours work. Figure at least $100 an hour. Keep in mind that the frame will warp slightly. This may or may not effect the operation of the slide.

So far the longest I've found is seven inches (Not counting Roto 4M barrels, which I don't want), but they're standard barrels. I found one willing to make a seven inch in Para Ramp at around $400. Nobody seemed to want to make one any longer and if I eventualy find someone willing and able to make one it's probably going to cost a lot more than $400. So If I could find a frame similar to a P14 with a standard frame ramp, I might consider it. That would make finding a good barrel easier. From what I understand Paras have been really lousy lately anyway. Anybody have a recommendation for a standard ramped frame, all steel double stack in .45?

The only one's I know of are Springfield GI Hi cap...discontinued

Para Ordinance...Also discontinued, wrong ramp as well

Rock Island...Not recommended for use with .460 Rowland by Clark

Any options?

I have a single stack baer, and it's okay. Thy used to use Para frames, but I think they make their own now and I'm pretty sure they're all single stack. Fusion same thing, only single stack. I think they sell some STI's.  The problem with STI's and Caspians is they both have their own weird proprietary mags which are like $80+. That and the frames are a little bit too thin for my tastes. I may, not for this project, get an STI 6" in .45ACP. They seem like decent pistols, but I really don't like polymer pistols and again the magazines seem way over the top expensive. I usually try to have a least a dozen magazines, but at that price and for a polymer pistol I'm not too crazy about it might get bumped further down my list.  I don't know if I'll ever be able to get all the parts anyway, so until I find everything, I'm not buying anymore parts for that build.