Sign in to follow this  
Silence Dogood

Transport to Florida residence question

A former NJ resident who still owns a property in NJ but is now a FL resident owns a handgun and wishes to transport it from his house in NJ to his residence in FL.

The handgun is inherited and the owner has no NJ FPID.  No carry permit in FL.

Am I correct that he is not protected for transport between his residence in NJ and the NJ state line but IS protected by FOPA after that?  And if that's the case, what is the proper method for transport under these conditions?  

Thanks in advance.

SD

You are transporting from one residence to another. Thats an exemption under NJ law. You are then covered under FOPA to Fl. The fact it's inherited and owner has no FPID has no bearing on the situation as ypu describe it.

I moved from NJ to Florida 5 years ago and took some guns with me that I did not have any records for, since the paperwork got packed away or tossed out with all the other stuff we were cleaning out. I never have been stopped and searched in all of my life so I did not worry about it. I also tore up my FID card when I got here since I have no family in NJ or reason to return.

I moved from NJ to Florida 5 years ago and took some guns with me that I did not have any records for, since the paperwork got packed away or tossed out with all the other stuff we were cleaning out. I never have been stopped and searched in all of my life so I did not worry about it. I also tore up my FID card when I got here since I have no family in NJ or reason to return.

I, too, have moved to FL from NJ in early March. I took all my "inventory" with me when I left. I packed all the pistols in a back pack (containing the secure metal cases) in the SUV via FOPA rules (in the back and inaccessible to the driver). I was able to remove the back pack at the overnight stop in SC and bring it into the hotel room. Next morning, I put the back pack back into the SUV in its proper place and kept on going to FL. The next morning (Monday) I was in the county tax collector's office (which is where most Floridians go to do DL related stuff) and got my new Fl. DL.  Problem solved.

I did not, however, tear up my FPID or the last P2P I had.  I want to save them as a reminder of what I went through up in NJ and why I'm so thankful I'm not there anymore. :)  Neither are valid any longer, so that means I never again show up in NJ with any of my guns... ever!