bjones1500

NJ.com "GOD Given Right" letter

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/06/expand_god-given_right_to_carry_firearm_in_nj_lett.html

So above I put the link to a letter submitted to NJ.com from a subscriber saying NJ should have ccw because it's a god given right. First off I'm not an extremely religious person but I have friends and family that are and have no problems with religion.....but I believe everytime a gun owner uses the "god given right" line it hurts our entire cause. Most Liberals are not religious and mostly atheist and they will rip the line to pieces in two seconds.NJ.com new exactly what they were doing when publishing this letter and using "god given right" in the headline. They used this letter to make all gun owners look like nut jobs. Does anyone else feel this way ?

I think more accurate statements might be:

The right to self defense is a God given right. ('Natural' right if you prefer.)

The right to the most effective means to do it is a constitutional right.

Two separate issues.

It's a constitutional given right, not a god given right.

NO! NO! NO!

If a government gives you a "right" it is not a right but a priviledge. And as such can be taken away by said government.

The constituition acknowledges that a right exists (God given, Endowed by our creator, Natural Right take your pick) and can not be restricted by the government.

But we are not governed by the laws of god we're governed by the laws of man, wether we like it or not. If you were to only follow the laws stated in the Bible,Torra,Quran.....etc... you would find yourself in prison.

Following which part of the Bible will land someone in prison?

The laws of man are based around the Bible and religious beliefs

NO! NO! NO!

If a government gives you a "right" it is not a right but a priviledge. And as such can be taken away by said government.

The constituition acknowledges that a right exists (God given, Endowed by our creator, Natural Right take your pick) and can not be restricted by the government.

Thats what I was going to say

Totally agree with the OP.  The Declaration of Independence states that we are endowed by our Creator with certain inalienable rights, among them being the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  I like to refer to them as naturally born, Constitutionally protected rights.  

It's important to remember that the Bill of Rights is not a list of things we can do, but a list of what government can't do to us.

PeteF gets it right:

"NO! NO! NO!

The constituition acknowledges that a right exists (God given, Endowed by our creator, Natural Right take your pick) and can not be restricted by the government. "

:facepalm:

The constitution doesn't GIVE anything. It merely LISTS SOME rights.

Like it or not, the right to keep and bear arms is a constitutional right. Just ask people who live in other countries that dont have a US Constitution. Self defense of course, is a natural, god given right.

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/06/expand_god-given_right_to_carry_firearm_in_nj_lett.html

So above I put the link to a letter submitted to NJ.com from a subscriber saying NJ should have ccw because it's a god given right. First off I'm not an extremely religious person but I have friends and family that are and have no problems with religion.....but I believe everytime a gun owner uses the "god given right" line it hurts our entire cause. Most Liberals are not religious and mostly atheist and they will rip the line to pieces in two seconds.NJ.com new exactly what they were doing when publishing this letter and using "god given right" in the headline. They used this letter to make all gun owners look like nut jobs. Does anyone else feel this way ?

I've posted this point-for-point many times.

You could say the same about "constitutional" rights. They don't believe in that either. 

Better to point out experiences in the other 47 states that allow these rights.

OMG seriously?

Shall not kill...shall not steal....shall not lie....come on, you're joking, right?

BTW on a side note. History ALWAYS repeats itself. In Communist China, Russia, Germany, Cuba, N.Korea, etc all these leaders had to either REMOVE God totally or control it then eradicate God....why? because once God is removed government steps into fill that role...now what they say goes---no firearms? It's up to government to determine. You don't see that being repeated here? For those so against Christianity, remove God you remove all the "Bill of Rights" because those are only enforced my a society believing in a higher power. If God is eradicated, government is now your "higher power" and do you think they have your best interest at heart?

Shall not kill...shall not steal....shall not lie....come on, you're joking, right?

BTW on a side note. History ALWAYS repeats itself. In Communist China, Russia, Germany, Cuba, N.Korea, etc all these leaders had to either REMOVE God totally or control it then eradicate God....why? because once God is removed government steps into fill that role...now what they say goes---no firearms? It's up to government to determine. You don't see that being repeated here? For those so against Christianity, remove God you remove all the "Bill of Rights" because those are only enforced my a society believing in a higher power. If God is eradicated, government is now your "higher power" and do you think they have your best interest at heart?

Aren't we not supposed to discuss religion on these forums? 

No, I'm not joking. 

If someone's gonna question my belief I am to answer it...I'm accountable to God. With that said, if the mod sees fit to remove these posts it their site.

I'm not questioning your beliefs at all. I'm questioning the place they have on these forums and in this discussion. 

I'm not questioning your beliefs at all. I'm questioning the place they have on these forums and in this discussion. 

No problem...thanks for the heads up. However, I don't recall anyone really mentioning "religious topics" being off limits. I would hope not.