MartyZ

Need advise - weight loss medication

Farxiga, Belviq, and Contrave should be your absolute last option. Not only are the side effects hinky, but they are very costly. Some insurances won't cover them, or they're tier 3 and cost upwards of 300 dollars for a 30 day supply. 

If you want to go for surgery you HAVE to be committed to making the life style change work for you otherwise you'll be miserable. 

Your best option is changing your diet. Instead of processed sugars, start getting fruit. Cook with fresh veggies, cut down on carbs and fried foods. Slow changes are better than fast ones. Start by just replacing one or two things at a time, you'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

I'm morbidly obese on the BMI scale, but so are most athletes.  I'm not saying i'm an athlete, not even close, but I actually have a lot of muscle, my problem is that I have a tractor tire around my waste.  I'm 6' 2", 290 lbs.  54inch chest and 44 inch waste, so i'm not all fat.   I can power squat over 1,000 lbs, free squat over 350 lbs, bench 250 lbs, and I can easily handle a 1hr spin class.

What i'm saying is that I literally have no time to go to the gym anymore (full time job, 4hrs a day in traffic, part time college, wife and 2 kids) and I have never been able to stick to a diet (I just love food too much), but i'm trying.

That is why i'm looking at different options, you guys did however convince me to stay away from the drugs so I will start by trying to reduce my calorie intake and stop eating garbage.

Diet is more important than exercise for weight loss. Eliminate all processed foods and you should be on your way:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/upshot/to-lose-weight-eating-less-is-far-more-important-than-exercising-more.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=1

There are a bit more things, but start with these two...

STEP 1: DIET

Since you're morbidly obese, skip the chemicals and start with improving your diet. I recommend you doing the paleo diet, where every meal consists of:

Protein

Vegetables

Natural fat - 5 almonds or slice of avocado

Fruit - optional

Eliminate all of the following:

Grains

Dairy

Sugar

Legumes

STEP 2: EXCERCISE

You need to work out at a minimum 3x a week to see any results. Do mostly resistance training (weights), as that burns more fat and you probably have very little muscle. After working out make sure you have a whey protein shake within 30 minutes.

Also start getting into the habit of moving/walking around, as you probably have a sedentary lifestyle.

Just out of curiosity..Why no legumes? I wanted to try the Paleo diet.

I'm morbidly obese on the BMI scale, but so are most athletes.  I'm not saying i'm an athlete, not even close, but I actually have a lot of muscle, my problem is that I have a tractor tire around my waste.  I'm 6' 2", 290 lbs.  54inch chest and 44 inch waste, so i'm not all fat.   I can power squat over 1,000 lbs, free squat over 350 lbs, bench 250 lbs, and I can easily handle a 1hr spin class.

What i'm saying is that I literally have no time to go to the gym anymore (full time job, 4hrs a day in traffic, part time college, wife and 2 kids) and I have never been able to stick to a diet (I just love food too much), but i'm trying.

That is why i'm looking at different options, you guys did however convince me to stay away from the drugs so I will start by trying to reduce my calorie intake and stop eating garbage.

Ok, I'll chime in with a few things. 

1) For making the drug choice, ask your doctor what the cessation process is if you want/need to stop taking it. Especially ask the risks of going cold turkey. For some people, they need the head meds to feel normal. If you don't, they tend to mess with your mind and physiological systems. Sometimes badly and irreversibly. Docs managing to the numbers don't necessarily see the forest for the trees on this one. But if you can't parse the drug info properly yourself, this is often a decent way to get some translation other than "it'll be fine" from your doctor. 

2) Log your food. Seriously, do it. For hypertension, diabetes, and other fun stuff like that, you can go all atkins or paleo, but if your caloric intake is still high, there's very good odds you won't move your numbers much if at all. Your body is basically giving you the big FU for trying to process the diet you consume to support the weight you are at regardless of if it is "fat" or "muscle". Lots of people's numbers move not because atkins or paleo is magic for disease X, but because it is hard to stick to them AND consume mega doses of calories that your body tries to metabolize too rapidly. Beyond that, lots of people have cravings more wicked than they know. atkins and plaeo tend to have less craving inducing food, and a lot more people can beat the cravings while having something to actually eat. As opposed to something like wieght loss shakes which are the methadone of treating carb cravings. P.S. you may alo need to lose muscle mass. 

3) You might want to get something like a fitbit or one of the other health tracker doohickies. I use a fitbit. I don't find it useful for meaningful weight loss, but it has proven to me that I am absolute shit at estimating my own activity levels. The back end software also does more complex and integrated calorie need/use/intake calculations than you can easily do for yourself. it's a bit easier than a written log and a web calculator, and a heck of a lot more accurate. For me, the big difference isn't that it moves me forward, but that it makes a HUGE difference in backsliding. That's me though. Another benefit is that the process of logging stuff has made me a whole lot better about estimating my intake correctly. 

4) If you consume any sugared drinks, ditch them. They are the worst thing for you, and they contribute very little to feeling full or satisfying much in the way of cravings. IF you don't. Once again, back to that food log. Eliminate some of the worst offenders and replace them with something else you eat regularly that is better for you. 

5) Exercise. If you lack time, I can suggest that sprint eight might be something you can do to help. Google it. DO NOT, DO NOT!!!, engage in it without checking with your doctor first due to your BP. Read up on it, you should be able to make your own judgment about it being a lifestyle fit. 

6) If you do choose the meds, have a serious talk with your family and friends about paying attention to your behavior and letting you know if you are getting weird (for you). Decide before hand what you are willing to tolerate. 

7) Stop bullshitting yourself. You need to want to lose it. Even if it's stomach stapling, if you aren't committed to the new plan, you can still wind up back where you started. 

8) Exercising isn't a fix for your weight. It helps with your health, and it makes screw ups less bad, but realistically it doesn't take much time eating to undo an insane week of working out. 

Find out what Anthony from Gun For Hire is doing. He lost a great deal of weight. I believe I heard between 140 - 160 pounds. Maybe he talks about it on some of his podcasts (Gun For Hire Radio).

I believe he has inspired other people at his range to shed weight as well. Call him up and ask perhaps.

Eat better foods and exercise before taking pills. Good luck and you can do it.

Find out what Anthony from Gun For Hire is doing. He lost a great deal of weight. I believe I heard between 140 - 160 pounds. Maybe he talks about it on some of his podcasts (Gun For Hire Radio).

I believe he has inspired other people at his range to shed weight as well. Call him up and ask perhaps.

Eat better foods and exercise before taking pills. Good luck and you can do it.

Gastric sleeve and exercise are what worked for him.  As I understand it he previously had lap-band and it didn't work at all - that's not the first time I have heard that.

Start with what Vlad and Raz-0 are saying.  You can also google "whole 30" for some inspiration in rethinking your relationship with food.  You'll find that you need to start cooking some things, just to be able to avoid processed food -- but if you roast a sufficient quantity of meat, you can literally have a filling lunch every day from the left overs.  Realistically, with a decent breakfast that blends proteins, good fats and some fruit, 4 oz of meat, and some raw vegetables should hold you for lunch.  Need a snack -- grab a few nuts.  Have a sugar craving that won't go away initially after you gave up sugar?  Eat 2-3 dried apricots.  Six months in I find myself reaching for the apricots less frequently, while still consuming nuts -- I've got macadamias, pecans, cashews, almonds, and pistachios on hand, so there's some flavor variety.

You can have a huge salad for dinner if you need "the big meal experience;" add a couple of eggs or some home roasted meat for protein.  Have fresh fruit for dessert.  Oddly while buying good meat and fresh fruit and salad ingredients seem expensive, you make the money right back by not buying junk or eating out.  In fact food costs have actually dropped a bit.  Initially you spend a bit of time thinking about food every day, after a while you just get the routine down.....

Gastric sleeve and exercise are what worked for him. As I understand it he previously had lap-band and it didn't work at all - that's not the first time I have heard that.

Did not know that about gastric sleeve.

Do what others have said. Change eating habits and start exercising. Start with some walks, then longer walks, then more brisk longer walks.

I used to use Tumblr to follow fitness blogs. They were called "fitblrs". You'll be inpsired by other's success stories, find healthy recipes, find support, etc.

Good luck.

Stop riding the rails of a crazy train...  Watch this video and share with your family members, and if you want further information, lookup Dr. Jason Fung...

In particular, look at the different 3 days can make toward repairing a fatty liver by Intermittent Fasting and Keto.  

On 6/23/2015 at 8:58 AM, MartyZ said:

That's my problem, I can't stop eating.  I am very weak when it comes to food.  This drug is supposed to curb my appetite.

Have you tried low carb eating?  

It's not easy at first but once you get through the first two weeks it becomes easier.  

You'll shed weight fast and can still eat.  Just no carbs first two weeks.  Then low carbs until you get to the weight you want to be and then you introduce carbs until you start gaining back.

I'm trying to get back on it.  See my Cheeseburger Casserole thread I just started.  It's delicious and low carb.

Good luck.

On 6/23/2015 at 10:54 AM, MartyZ said:

I have tried many diets before, the only one I was successful with was the south beach diet, lost 35 lbs but gave myself gout, then gained everything back. 

I have had gout attacks.  Definetly no fun.  LOTS of things can trigger it.  Sudden rapid weight loss is one of them.

I've done low carb a few times.  One fo the benefits, for me at least, is inflamation goes down and bloating feeling goes away.  I actaully have less goat attacks on high protein diet than when eating "regular" foods.  

Going low carb is an adjustment and there are meds which will help you through gout attacks if you have them at the start if the rapid weight loss triggers a flare up.

One of my brother in laws was "stocky".  Not really fat but he was probably about 6 foot and was up close to 235 if I recall.  He had some tingling in his legs and went to the doctors.  Long story short, he was off the chart diabetic.  Literally the test didn't go that high.  Doctor said he has lucky he wan't in a coma.  The tingling he was having was from nerve damage due to the toxic levels of his blood sugar  levels.  It was destroying his nerves!

The doctor wanted to put him on lifelong meds.  After some thought and a VERY good reason to change his eating habits he went low carb.  He did it hardcore and has stayed on it for about a year if not a little longer now.  He dropped down to below 160 pounts in less than four months.  His blood sugar levels quickly feel into an acceptable range.  His doctor was shocked.  He's not on any meds and his weight stays around the 165 - 175 range now.

I would highly recommend you look into it before taking meds.  Try it for a month.

Good luck!

Just to chime in, I'm down 40 Lbs, and kept it off, without any drugs or over the counter crap.

I cut out late night eating /snacking, maybe a yogurt for a craving.

Drink water and seltzer instead of soda and beer, I allow some drinking but in moderation.

I exercise by walking/running on a thread mill in my garage, start slow and increase as you get more endurance. Running in a garage is somewhat boring I know, but I installed a 36" TV on the wall and cast YouTube on it and watch all the gun videos which keeps my interest. Thank God for Hickock and others.

Allow yourself to cheat every now and then, you're be surprised after a week or so you just get in the habit of eating right. 

Don't weigh yourself everyday, maybe twice a week then once. Then none, you will know by the way your clothes fit.

Do it for yourself. Most important believe in yourself.

Good luck to you, We're rooting for you

• Like 1

Exercise and eating the right things are important.  However, WHEN you eat is also important.   And, calories are not equivalent.  Fats have many more calories than carbohydrates, but they don't do the same things to your body and its hormones, etc.  This is an old thread, but this is a vital message.  

• Agree 1

On 6/23/2015 at 8:36 AM, MartyZ said:

I am overweight, according to BMI I am morbidly obese.  My doctor recommended a new weight loss drug, Contrave.  I see no issue with this except the fact that it is a combination of 2 other drugs, an antidepressant and an anti-addiction drug.  I am worried that next time I apply for PPP they will see this on my record and it would disqualify me.  Does anyone have any experience or knowledge in this area?  Would NJ be able to use this drug against me to deny me my rights?

The police cannot see what prescriptions you are on. There's no database for them to look up everyone's drug cabinet. The ONLY health check they see is your mental health a.k.a. have you ever been committed. They have no way to determine if you see a therapist. They have no way to determine if you take SSRIs or MAOIs, etc.

Just came in here to debunk some myths happening in this thread. Meal timing isnt terribly important , at the end of the day its calories in vs calories out. Its thermodynamics, its that simple. As far as the quality of calories for weight loss that also isn't terribly important. If you wanted to you could lose weight eating mcdonalds and snickers bars. You may feel like crap, but you will lose weight as long as you're under you're caloric maintnance. 

As far as timing goes,

Look into intermittent fasting

Iifiym (if it fits in your macros)

Both essentially state that if you're below the amount of calories your body burns you will lose weight. 

With that said, satiation and hunger will go away with higher fibrous foods and lean proteins. Its healthier to eat those a long with complex carbs. 

58 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Just came in here to debunk some myths happening in this thread. Meal timing isnt terribly important , at the end of the day its calories in vs calories out. Its thermodynamics, its that simple. As far as the quality of calories for weight loss that also isn't terribly important. If you wanted to you could lose weight eating mcdonalds and snickers bars. You may feel like crap, but you will lose weight as long as you're under you're caloric maintnance. 

As far as timing goes,

Look into intermittent fasting

Iifiym (if it fits in your macros)

Both essentially state that if you're below the amount of calories your body burns you will lose weight. 

With that said, satiation and hunger will go away with higher fibrous foods and lean proteins. Its healthier to eat those a long with complex carbs. 

@gleninjersey why I use turkey 

I did low carb after eating a sub and fries for every lunch and crept up near 265lbs.  I spent about 2 months eating my new fav lunch of  a pound of tuna and egg salads from the deli nearby, and also about 20 minutes  a day on an elliptical.  Dropped down to about 210 very quickly, but my kidneys began to ache all day.  Didn't feel like keeping going was a good idea. Now I remain around 190 to 200 evenly over the past few years.  Just eating smaller portions.

Lunch was tough because most food options around an office environment are heavy on carbs and salads aren't my thing.