Newtonian

Does eliminating this iconic symbol achieve anything? (or What's this world coming to?)

In case you haven't been following along here, the Southern states succeeded from the Union due to several factors, oppression from the North being one of them. The Federal govt imposed unfair tariffs and taxes upon the South on raw materials at the behest of the Northern states.

Slavery was a part of it, but remember the North had PLENTY of slaves, including good ole New Jersey.

Remember also that Lincoln didn't really care about freeing the slaves. He did so ONLY to save the Union. Read his memoirs and papers. He was actually quite the racist himself, claiming that blacks and whites should not intermix at all, that physical and mental differences between them made segregating the two a wise idea. His thoughts, not mine.

Remember also that the Republican controlled Congress in 1862 wrote the legislation freeing the slaves ONLY in the South, and exempted the North, and the territories that fought along with the Union.

Remember also that there were many free blacks that willingly fought (and died) on the Confederate side.

I'd say that neither side was Lilly white. Racism, slavery, racial injustice, oppression, existed on BOTH sides.

LOL, okay... for this to be true you'd pretty much have to ignore certain facts like:

1.  NJ abolished slavery in 1804, before New York did.

2.  The tarriffs were a completely minor issue.  The Southern Democrats controlled Congress well up to 1857 and at the time, tarriffs were at historic lows.  It wasn't until 1858 and 1860 where Republicans took power along with Lincoln.

3.  Lincoln held those beliefs early on his life and even when entering office, but given his desire to pass the 13th Amendment before the war ended.  If what you say is true, he wouldn't have bothered.

4.  By 1862, the Civil War was on and Congress passed the Second Confiscation Act, which freed slaves in Southern States that rebelled and followed the Emancipation Proclamation.  The war was already on, so its not like this was a reason for the South to rebel which happened the year before.

5.  "Many" freed blacks fighting for the Confederacy is a complete understatement.  More like 0.5% of the entire Confederate Army, and most were coerced to fight there.  Even then, the Confederacy never really armed them, so they were relegated to support units.

So basically, the South rebelled like a bunch of angry schoolchildren who, when faced with political defeat, flipped the fucking checkerboard and called it a day.  The end of slavery was inevitable, and instead of taking it like a bunch of men, they acted like traitorous cowards.  

As bad as racism was in the North, it was far worse in the Confederacy where it was their life.  Undoing generations of white supremacist thinking takes generations.  

Shawn is gonna set up shop out there. :preved:

I'll sell any flag to anyone. You have the right to have any flag you want.

The thing that got me is they told me it's a sensitive subject and blah blah but they did ship me these

post-2362-143540430882_thumb.jpg

So I guess they aren't as offensive. I also got rebel flag bandanas

I'll sell any flag to anyone. You have the right to have any flag you want.

The thing that got me is they told me it's a sensitive subject and blah blah but they did ship me these

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1435404309.922398.jpg

So I guess they aren't as offensive. I also got rebel flag bandanas

Do you have a 3x5' in stitched cotton? How much?

Some over paid golfer is painting over the battle flag on his general lee. The hell is wrong with this country?

Yeah...he shouldn't have the right to decide how to paint his own car.     :scratchhead:

Yeah...he shouldn't have the right to decide how to paint his own car. :scratchhead:

Did I say we should make a law against it? No I just made a statement, much like every other asshole can make a statement saying anything confederate related is racist.

But now that the dukes are off the air and the battle flag is off the general lee I guess race relations are 100% fixed. I expect all chapters of the NAACP to be eliminated immediately because they are no longer needed.

There was going to be a flag burning protest at Fort Greene Park in Brooklyn Wednesday evening. The protestors were met by another group, made up primarily of veterans and bikers, who took exception to their desire to burn our flag. The liberal douches were very quickly run right out of that park. It looks like they only managed to burn one before they ran for their lives.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2015/07/01/brooklyn-flag-burning/

There was going to be a flag burning protest at Fort Greene Park in Brooklyn Wednesday evening. The protestors were met by another group, made up primarily of veterans and bikers, who took exception to their desire to burn our flag. The liberal douches were very quickly run right out of that park. It looks like they only managed to burn one before they ran for their lives.

Oh the irony of an anti-police group running to cops to help them when the Hallowed Sons chased them out of the park.

To me its nothing more then another attempt to erase part of our national identity. Our heritage and culture is under attack. Ive seen huge shifts away from what we were once were as a people to what we are becoming in just my life. From a group of independant people who believed in keeping Govt small and out of our lives to a people dependant on handouts.

Part of doing that is to make people ashamed of the're history so they will forget it. Most of this flag nonsence is about state battle flags.

The second part is replacing it with fake history. Like saying Muslum were at the very heart of our founding of this nation. Complete BS is replacing the hard forged past of how we came to be and what we had to do to get to this being the greatest nation in history.

Brooklyn is changing. More conservative type people are moving back to Brooklyn and displacing those that feed off the public dime, Kind of cool to see.

This is related.

Wal*Mart sent a message to all of its stores the other day.

Remove all Made in America signage. It sends the 'wrong message'.

Unbelievable.

How long until the American Flag is considered 'offensive' ? We've already seen that crap from teachers union zealots when some kids decided to wear American Flag t-shirts on a day the school decided to celebrate Cinco De Mayo. They were told to change their shirts.

Corporations' influence on what we're allowed to see, hear, own, etc. can only increase. See how the biggies all gushed over gay marriage? And they will be aided and abetted by people who post their entire lives on FaceBook. A guy got fired the other day for posting something like "I love my dog I want to marry him!" Anyone see that story? I can't find it now. Point is the government doesn't even have to pass a law against saying things like that. PC corporations will do the dirty deed. 

This is related.

Unbelievable.

How long until the American Flag is considered 'offensive' ? We've already seen that crap from teachers union zealots when some kids decided to wear American Flag t-shirts on a day the school decided to celebrate Cinco De Mayo. They were told to change their shirts.

Really? If that is true then there should be a massive boycott of their stores.

Unbelievable.

Kind of.  Can you provide a reference for the story?