Newtonian

Does eliminating this iconic symbol achieve anything? (or What's this world coming to?)

WASHINGTON—Citing a series of fatal malfunctions dating back to 1777, flag manufacturer Annin & Company announced Monday that it would be recalling all makes and models of its popular American flag from both foreign and domestic markets.

Representatives from the nation's leading flag producer claimed that as many as 143 million deaths in the past two centuries can be attributed directly to the faulty U.S. models, which have been utilized extensively since the 18th century in sectors as diverse as government, the military, and public education.

"It has come to our attention that, due to the inherent risks and hazards it poses, the American flag is simply unfit for general use," said Annin & Company president Ronald Burman, who confirmed that the number of flag-related deaths had noticeably spiked since 2003. "I would like to strongly urge all U.S. citizens: If you have an American flag hanging in your home or place of business, please discontinue using it immediately."

Added Burman, "The last thing we would want is for more innocent men and women around the world to die because of our product."

http://www.theonion.com/article/us-flag-recalled-after-causing-143-million-deaths-17248

Now, the Mayor of Memphis wants to dig up the graves of a Confederate General:

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/memphis-mayor-wants-to-dig-up-dead-confederate-war-general.html

Stupidity has no bounds.

When I worked at a slaughterhouse, we'd use one through the back of the cow / bull / horse / ox's head and it would rattle around in there and do the job.

I worked on a beef farm, the slaughter house we brought them to had a hydraulic bolt they would punch through their skulls. Then a guy named Juan would cut their necks with a real big knife to bleed them out. Used to leave there with the best hamburger meat ever! bring it home fresh straight to the grill.

More insanity: The Gettysburg battlefield gift shop. http://bit.ly/1Nm3eoY

I cannot believe this is happening.

It's like the Taliban destroying those pre-islamic statues.

This is an almost perfect analogy to gun control. Some asshole in S.C. does something so our nannies decide that WE can't have a Confederate flag. It's sick and getting sicker out there.

I worked on a beef farm, the slaughter house we brought them to had a hydraulic bolt they would punch through their skulls. Then a guy named Juan would cut their necks with a real big knife to bleed them out. Used to leave there with the best hamburger meat ever! bring it home fresh straight to the grill.

Why grill it? Eat it right on the spot, still cow-warm. 

In case you haven't been following along here, the Southern states succeeded from the Union due to several factors, oppression from the North being one of them. The Federal govt imposed unfair tariffs and taxes upon the South on raw materials at the behest of the Northern states.

Slavery was a part of it, but remember the North had PLENTY of slaves, including good ole New Jersey.

Remember also that Lincoln didn't really care about freeing the slaves. He did so ONLY to save the Union. Read his memoirs and papers. He was actually quite the racist himself, claiming that blacks and whites should not intermix at all, that physical and mental differences between them made segregating the two a wise idea. His thoughts, not mine.

Remember also that the Republican controlled Congress in 1862 wrote the legislation freeing the slaves ONLY in the South, and exempted the North, and the territories that fought along with the Union.

Remember also that there were many free blacks that willingly fought (and died) on the Confederate side.

I'd say that neither side was Lilly white. Racism, slavery, racial injustice, oppression, existed on BOTH sides.