Sign in to follow this  
jm1827

Slug barrel for 870 or dedicated slug gun?

Hi everyone,

So, I plan on venturing back into hunting this year and no longer have a slug barrel for my 870 WingMaster.

I was looking at getting a slug barrel for my gun but after comparing prices for a slug barrel and a new dedicated slug gun, it looks like I may be able to get a used dedicated slug gun for a little more that I would pay for a slug barrel.

My 870 is close to 50 years old but in pristine condition and currently has a 28" improved choke barrel on it.

Thoughts, suggestions?  

My suggestion is to first buy some various slugs and shoot them through your current barrel and see what you see.

I can tell you that I shoot slugs through smooth bore barrels with chokes from LM to IM, without a scope, and shooting standing offhand the holes touch each other at 50yards and I can cover them with a big open hand at 100.

So maybe throw a scope or red dot on the receiver, buy some rifled slugs and try it out. You might be pleasantly surprised. 

My suggestion is to first buy some various slugs and shoot them through your current barrel and see what you see.

I can tell you that I shoot slugs through smooth bore barrels with chokes from LM to IM, without a scope, and shooting standing offhand the holes touch each other at 50yards and I can cover them with a big open hand at 100.

So maybe throw a scope or red dot on the receiver, buy some rifled slugs and try it out. You might be pleasantly surprised. 

I agree with Vlad.  You may be surprised. IC chokes are pretty good.  

You can get a saddle mount and not molest your pristine Wingmaster.

I like a 1-4 power scope.

REMEMBER !!!  Only foster style slugs not sabots !!!

Thanks Vlad, I have some slugs so I might try and get to the range this weekend.  Funny, I never even thought of trying slugs through the barrel I have, I must have had some sort of mental block or something, or maybe because I am an engineer it was just too simple a solution for me.

I will let you know how it shoots, I probably have 5 or 6 different kinds of slugs I can try.

I agree with Vlad.  You may be surprised. IC chokes are pretty good.  

You can get a saddle mount and not molest your pristine Wingmaster.

I like a 1-4 power scope.

REMEMBER !!!  Only foster style slugs not sabots !!!

Thanks Old School, yes, I would definitely not want to molest my 870, my father actually bought it during the riots when we lived near Newark and he gave it to me. 

Yep, just make sure you have some form aiming device on the gun, by which I mean either an optic or a rear sight. heck, even a middle bead. When shooting slugs at longer distances the front bead alone won't tell you how good the barrel can actually shoot them.

And if he is going to hunt with slugs in NJ a sighting system is required by law (front and middle bead don't count)

I agree with Screwball. And plus its an excuse for another gun! 

The way I look at it is I hunt in 2 different locations (one is open on an edge of a cornfield and the other is in the woods around think brush) so it is easier for me to just pick up a dedicated shotgun and go hunting, no need to change barrels or any of that.  

I agree with Screwball. And plus its an excuse for another gun! 

The way I look at it is I hunt in 2 different locations (one is open on an edge of a cornfield and the other is in the woods around think brush) so it is easier for me to just pick up a dedicated shotgun and go hunting, no need to change barrels or any of that.  

Thanks, Sparks.  I like you way of thinking, especially the excuse for a second gun!