Sign in to follow this  
I lost my gat piece

300 blackout ar pistol build

OK so I haven't even heard any talk of trying this in NJ. 5.56 ar barreled pistol sure, but short barrels is what the 300 aac was made for. So i put together a parts list to see how close to sub 50oz's as i could. It's pretty close and there are 3 things that come to mind where i think i could find lesser weight items. The upper receiver, the buffer tube kit, and the barrel. I know there are some lighter weight options available but I am trying to spend as little as possible on this to get it done. I also have a legal question about this build. Suppose i do the build am i allowed to put an optic like a red dot on this as long as the assembled pistol is less than 50oz without it? I appreciate any and all input. My ultimate goal is to make this build happen so I can share the parts list with others to be able to enjoy as well.

Update: I jumped in head first and started ordering parts today (7/1).

Here is where I'm at now on paper:

LW Blackout Pistol Build

Anderson Sport upper           Aim Surplus              39.99   6.8oz

Tegra Lower                          Tegra Arms              79.99   3.7oz

Lower Parts Kit                      New Frontier             42.79   4.4oz                Purchased

V7 LW gasblock                     Vertex ops                67.90   0.8oz

Noveske Gas Tube                Midway Usa             11.99   0.6oz

Charging Handle                    PSA                          24.99   1.3oz

Custom 6" Deadshot barrel    Deadshot barrels     90.00   13.0oz (est)       Purchased

LW bolt carrier                        Rubbercity              179.00   6.8oz

AO bolt                                   Midway Usa             45.99     1.6oz

Cam Pin and Retaining pin    Midway Usa                5.00     0.4oz

Spikes Pistol Buffer Tube       Spikes                       35.00    5.0oz

Taccom LW buffer                  Tacticallink               21.95   1.2oz

V7 ti castle nut&endplate        V Seven                   59.00    0.5oz

DPMS buffer spring                Midway Usa              3.49     2.1oz

Titanium barrel nut                 Vertex ops                64.99   0.8oz

TOTAL:                                                                               47.8oz

MISC:

Pistol permit when buying lower

Is the 9oz for the RCA for the carrier only or for the entire BCG?

Weighing in at just over 8.9 ounces the RCA competition carrier makes a noticable difference in felt recoil.

JP makes an aluminum carrier that weighs 3.76oz but it's pretty expensive.

I'd also consider using an adjustable gas block and running as light of a buffer as possible. You might pick up an ounce there.

I considered that Jon and ultimately i thought i would end up going with just the barrel with the threads ground down to save that little bit of weight. I think if I'm going to take $100 barrel and put a $100 of labor into it to do that I might as well try to find someone to make a custom lightweight 300 aac barrel. right? 

Updated with new barrel and a few other parts. Other corrections have been made and parts list has been broken down further. I think at this point if i can find someone to cut the thread area cut down and recrown the barrel for a very reasonable price we are there. If need be I will spring for a much higher price but lower weight upper or I will mill some weight out of the anderson one. Looking for all the help i can get before I start buying parts.

Side note: so far this is right about at $800 with all parts and misc expenses.  

PK I am not sure because i don't have the lpk in my possession but when I asked the new frontier armory what the total weight of the kit was thats what they told me. do you think that's off in your opinion? Thanks for all input thus far.

The NFA Standard Parts Kit is 4.8 oz. Don't know what the polymer one weighs.

A standard A2 Grip is 2.7 oz. additional.

So I found a custom barrel maker (deadshot barrels) online today and had quite a few correspondents with the owner who is now making me a custom 6" 300blk barrel.  Now he said that he wasn't sure what the exact weight would be other then he said that it would be under 14 ounces which is what i told him my requirement was under 14oz. In about 3 weeks I should have it.

Sorry that I haven't been on here lately. The barrel has been purchased, and new frontier armory polymer lpk just came back in stock today so i ordered 2. I will get going on the pistol permit soon so then i can find an ffl to order the lower followed by the rest of the parts. Sorry that i've been taking a long time with this but it is underway and will happen.