RobCo

Need more info

What  are you going to use it for?

What caliber  do you want?

How much do you want to spend? 

What kind of features are you looking for?

Are you going to  upgrade it yourself or at all?

Thanks, it would probably be more for use at the range, maybe self defense..but this is NJ. I have heard that some of them are crap..some aren't. Just been giving me a bit of a headache as how many there are..same when I went looking for my AR-15 and ended up with the Ruger AR556.

I've been looking at the Springfields as the price is good, and they seem to be well built.

thanks

If you arrived at a Ruger in your search for an AR, you may reach the same conclusion in your search for a 1911. The SR1911 is a really good value.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks, it would probably be more for use at the range, maybe self defense..but this is NJ. I have heard that some of them are crap..some aren't. Just been giving me a bit of a headache as how many there are..same when I went looking for my AR-15 and ended up with the Ruger AR556.

I've been looking at the Springfields as the price is good, and they seem to be well built.

thanks

Get something from the Springfield Armory Custom Shop (SACS) and be done. Something like a Springfield Professional 1911 in 45acp will cost $3000 but its hand built by an experienced gunsmith and extremely nice. You didnt set a price range so I am throwing this one into the ring.

I own 3 1911s and enjoy them all for different reasons. In all honesty you cant go wrong with any of the offerings from major manufacturers. Kimber,Ruger,Colt, ATI/RI, Springfield, Remington, STI, etc..........

First one I bought was a Kimber T2 SS in 9mm. My theory is that I enjoy shooting much more when its cheapest to shoot. 9mm is the least expensive center fire handgun ammo to buy. 1911s like to be shot and will last for many thousands of rounds with reasonable maintenance. So get one and shoot it often and enjoy it. 

I have 7:

Kimber Stainless pro-Carry II .45 acp - Commander model, very accurate.  One of my favorite shooters.

Sig GSR .45 acp - Officer frame with Commander slide - a tack driver but a bit small for my hands.  A nice carry piece though.

Sig Tacops .45acp - This is what a full-size 1911 should feel like.  Great shooter, heavy so it controls the felt recoil really well.  I wouldn't ant to carry it, though a good HD weapon.

S&W 1911sc .45acp - Commander model, round butt.  Another tack driver, feels great in the hand.  This has the most solid "feel" of the commander models.

Para Ordinance GI Expert .45acp - Entry-level model IMO.  Nothing wrong with it but it just doesn't have the same feel as the others.

Rock Island Tactical 9mm - Another entry-level.  Bought it to try the 9mm in the full-size frame.  Nice, but doesn't make it to the range very often.  Don't know why other than I like the .45s more. 

GSG 1911 .22lr - cheap to shoot, feels right in the hand but nowhere near as fun to shoot as the .45s.  My daughter enjoys it but I can't shoot it worth a damn.

I bought the Para and Rock Island when money was tight.  In hindsight I should have waited until I could spend more for what I really wanted.

IMO the entry-level ones are nice introductions to the platform but once you determine you like the 1911 you'll want something better.  How much better is determined by what you want to do with it.  Colt, Remington, Sig, S&W, Kimber etc. are the next level.  Above that are the Dan Wesson, Nighthawks and other customs.  While I like the $3k customs I'm happy with what's available in the $1k - $1.5k range.

thanks

Springfield makes some very nice 1911s, can't go wrong with any of them. Have you read my "second 1911" thread? I still have not had a chance to try out my new Colt, but I've added my first impressions on the Colt Commander, as compared to the Springfield Loaded and Para Expert.

You haven't given your price range, but the Colt and Springfield are in the mid-$700 range On line prices) and the Springfield includes a number of upgrades. The Springfield has been a great gun and, IMO, represents a great value.

I bought my first 1911 a few months ago, and all I can do is share my experience but remember YMMV!

I bought a "budget" 1911 (about 500.00) that seemed to look fine.  I soon found that I loved the 1911 platform!

However-its accuracy was not too good and the quality of some of its parts was lacking.  So I bit the bullet (sorry) and traded it in.  I ended up with a used Colt government model.  The difference between the two is a amazing.  The quality and workmanship of the Colt is clear, and the accuracy is so much better.

If I had to do it again, and I really wanted the 1911 "experience" I would have begun with one of the more mid level quality brands-Springfield, Colt, Kimber, Smith and Wesson, etc.  I probably would still not invest in the Wilson, Ed Brown, etc level-I'm not good enough a shooter to justify.

Again, I have read on these forums of people who had great experience with the lesser priced 1911's particularly the Rock islands, but all I can do is share my experience.  I hope you love your 1911 as much as I do!

I have a couple 1911's and shoot in local Bullseye matches. No high end models, however, I'd put my Kimber Custom Target up against just about anything. Unless you're a master marksman I don't think anyone could out shoot the gun. IMO the trigger accounts for a great deal of the accuracy. All of my 1911s have between 3 and 3.5 lb triggers. I also have a Kimber TLE/RL that has become one of my favorite shooters lately. The Ruger SR1911 is a great gun for the money. Looks nice, has some nice features, and shoots well. My Rock Island was a real surprise. I've heard that compacts can be finicky, and Rocks are relatively cheap but, she's a heck of a shooter. The finish isn't as nice as the others but it shoots great and you can't beat the price. Basically, all of my 1911s do what they're supposed to if I do my part. The high end custom guns look nice and may be slightly more accurate then the $1000 gun but they're all more accurate then most of us. I see some really nice (expensive) guns when shooting competition but, there's an old saying amongst Bullseye shooters. "You can't buy points." Good luck with your search. Here's some eye candy for ya: IMG_20150409_190612857.jpg IMG_20150501_202146421.jpg