pitt1717

Cherry Ridge Question

Yes, Cherry Ridge is looking good.  I was up there last week.

Both RTSP and GFH allow holster draw, with just a minimum of training.  Those are two I know of.  There may well be others.

It depends on what you're looking for. If you are constantly in training mode (just in case the legislature passes a concealed carry law during your lifetime) then join one of the indoor ranges. If you just like punching holes in paper or hearing the ping of bullets on metal, and like to do it a lot and affordably, and don't get too depressed about not being NutNFancy, then join an outdoor range and pay the $20/hr when you need it. 

How many ports have steel at the pistol and rifle ranges. I've paid but haven't been in over s year. I'd like to start going again as I enjoy the outdoor shooting.

How many ports have steel at the pistol and rifle ranges. I've paid but haven't been in over s year. I'd like to start going again as I enjoy the outdoor shooting.

I dont know about the quantity of steel at the pistol range b/c I rarely shoot pistol when I am there. Pretty much all ports at the 100 yard rifle range have a piece of steel available to shoot at. Not every port has a designated piece of steel to it but its spread out across the range pretty evenly so a slight turn to the left or right with your muzzle will land you on steel. The range officers are pretty good about repairing the steel when it falls off the backers too. They are out there a few times a day making repairs to the busted bolts.

I have to be honest.  I like Cherry Ridge and think it's a great value.  I also understand they need to rent it out to make enough dough to take care of the place and keep the membership reasonable.  However, do they really need to schedule two different matches on the same day that closes both rifle ranges?  One would think if they are doing a competition or event on the 200/300 they'd keep the 100 open or vice-versa.  Nope and today is the first time in months I've had the free time to take a ride up there.  Luckily I've been a member long enough to check the schedule first before packing and leaving.  

• Like 1

I have to be honest. I like Cherry Ridge and think it's a great value. I also understand they need to rent it out to make enough dough to take care of the place and keep the membership reasonable. However, do they really need to schedule two different matches on the same day that closes both rifle ranges? One would think if they are doing a competition or event on the 200/300 they'd keep the 100 open or vice-versa. Nope and today is the first time in months I've had the free time to take a ride up there. Luckily I've been a member long enough to check the schedule first before packing and leaving.

Its been a complaint forever. And don't kid yourself. That place is rolling in the dough.

Best you can do is keep an eye on their online schedule. It's why I don't go on weekends.

Ever want to go up early in the day, Weds. Seems to be the best. I try get there early and get out before noon. I also keep an eye on the weather for the day. Heavy cross winds don't make it fun to shoot. Especially if you are sighting in scopes and stuff.

Let me know if you wanna shoot.

I believe all the handgun ports have steel at 50 yards. You can adjust your target stand and stance to hit a bullseye and the steel target 25 yards behind it. 

The 100 yard rifle range has ample steel as well. 

Its been a complaint forever. And don't kid yourself. That place is rolling in the dough.

Best you can do is keep an eye on their online schedule. It's why I don't go on weekends.

Ever want to go up early in the day, Weds. Seems to be the best. I try get there early and get out before noon. I also keep an eye on the weather for the day. Heavy cross winds don't make it fun to shoot. Especially if you are sighting in scopes and stuff.

Let me know if you wanna shoot.

I may head mid-morning today. I was going to go now but the dogs need walking and my wife is standing tapping her foot look for some diner food. I have my truck packed and ready. I really want to shoot my 6mm side charger. I'm taking my black rain lr308 too. It didn't sell, I pulled it out of,the safe to make sure I correctLt advertised the Giesele trigger. When I looked it over I realized how cool it is and put it in the bag.

Had a great time this morning there was a prime match in the 100 yard range. I wanted to shoot 200/300 anyway. There was only about six people there including myself. Now I remember why I like going there.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with the voices here.  I find Cherry Ridge to be quite a nice place to shoot.  Admittedly, I'm not there on the weekends very often, but even when I am, I've never had to wait for a place to shoot.  Yes, I've been admonished by overzealous RO's on occasion, but not in a long time.  They get a varied group of shooters there, so they need to maintain strict safety standards.  I don't take any of it personally.  I  have now gotten to know most of the personnel up there, and find them all to be polite and pleasant.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to draw from a holster on the handgun range, but I have been able to move within my port, use the dividers as cover, and shoot from kneeling and other awkward positions.  That said, I do most of the work with my handguns at an indoor range, where I can move my targets at will, without having to wait for scheduled changes.  The 50/100 yard rifle range is probably the most popular.  The addition of steel targets there has been a welcome change.  I have not yet ventured over to the 200/300 yard range.  Looks like it's never crowded over there.

The plinking range is fun once in awhile.  I've spent time there after just missing a target change, or just for a little fun at the end of a range day.  My senior rate is somewhere around $130 for the year.  Unlike being on the clock at an indoor range, at CR you can stay all day until you run out of either time or ammo.

If you're looking to try it out, you would need to have one of us guest you in.  If anyone is interested, pm me.  When I go up there, it's usually on a Wednesday, but I could probably do a weekend sometime.

+1 !! Been a member for over 20 years, and I gladly call it my home range. I've made many good friends there and have watched fellow members and RO's give 100% attention to new shooters to have a fun positive experience. There are open events for every style of shooting. The RO's put absolute safety first, and if they want flags in bores, there should be no questions asked, because ITS THE RIGHT THING.

If that's an issue for your shooting style, maybe its you that needs to re-read the NRA Code of Safety We have no problems with it.

• Like 1

i just wish you didnt have to put the flag in the bore immediately after shooting. i've seen them melt in there before...

So make your own chamber flag from a piece of brass wire with yellow tape on the end and your problem is solved. I never encountered the melting plastic chamber flag so Im sticking with them.

• Like 1

How do targets work on the 50 yard rifle range? Do you still need to use your own wooden frame or are steel targets provided? Can you hang paper on them?

Edit: looks like the 50 yard range is shared with the 100 yd one. So same question for that. I'd like to sight my scope at 50 yards so start out with that, then eventually move to 100. Trying to figure out what I need to bring as far as targets

How do targets work on the 50 yard rifle range? Do you still need to use your own wooden frame or are steel targets provided? Can you hang paper on them?

Edit: looks like the 50 yard range is shared with the 100 yd one. So same question for that. I'd like to sight my scope at 50 yards so start out with that, then eventually move to 100. Trying to figure out what I need to bring as far as targets

Use your wooden frame for all distances. Metal plates are at 100...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW - I have live within 10 Min +/- of the range since I moved here, 23 years ago - I have been shooting there dunno since '98/99?

I try to shoot during the week, my fav time is Sunday at around 3pm or so, all the knuckle heads are generally gone - ha !

I have ZERO problems with the RO's, some stop by the shop from time to time.  I can see how some with others might be like oil and water - the rules are simple and there for safety - why?

Because I have seen people behind a weapon that should not be -  let's not talk about how many times I have been swept on the pistol range. 

Rules are easy - such as please do not approach the bench during a cease fire - get what you need now.  How simple is THAT ! 

*YET* time and again some mall ninja dumbass *HAS* to approach the bench to fiddle with something - so he gets talked to.  I once saw a guy do it twice in a row and was pissed he was asked to leave - you just have to laugh as he packs up.  dumbass -

No holsters, yeah that stinks, but with some I see shooting there - it would be nothing but trouble

No Steel plates - this is my biggest problem there on the pistol line, nothing like paying knockdown, but there are plates at the 100yd rifle line...that is fun ...

I would not hesitate to recommend the range to anyone at all..........simple thing to keep in mind - don't be a dick, don't get treated like one - easy  :)

Enjoy and please leave on Sundays by 3pm so I can get my private range back - thank you.  :drinks:

Nicky - There are steel dueling trees and I think plates too on the pistol range.

It's not always the mall ninja dumbass. Some old Fudd playing RO got a stern talking to about touching his rifle while others were downrange. Just because we like polymer, doesn't mean we can't follow directions.

Yeah, 50 yard plates are tricky ..LOL....

If I had a row of plates at 10 yards that would be nice........

You can adjust your target and stance such that you hit the black paper and then hit the plate 30 or 40 yards behind it. You should try it.

I'm planning on joining here this Sunday, assuming we don't get hit by the hurricane... Anyway, you guys say that the range isn't as enjoyable on the weekends, but those are probably the only days I'll be able to shoot--however right now I only have a .22 rifle, does the rimfire range ever get crowded?  I doubt I'll mind shooting there if I have to.

I'm planning on joining here this Sunday, assuming we don't get hit by the hurricane... Anyway, you guys say that the range isn't as enjoyable on the weekends, but those are probably the only days I'll be able to shoot--however right now I only have a .22 rifle, does the rimfire range ever get crowded? I doubt I'll mind shooting there if I have to.

There is a section of the 50/100 yard rifle range for Rimfire only. There is also a silhouette range for rimfire. I believe you can use a rimfire rifle anywhere on the 50/100 range.

HI all, Finally getting back into my shooting hobby.Was considering joing Cherry Ridge .I have read most of the back posts on when the crowds are and good times to go.I would be going mid week   say Tues -Thurs around 10am .Was wondering if anyone could give me an update on how the range is during this time.Been using GFH for my indoor range. Thanks for your time.

HI all, Finally getting back into my shooting hobby.Was considering joing Cherry Ridge .I have read most of the back posts on when the crowds are and good times to go.I would be going mid week   say Tues -Thurs around 10am .Was wondering if anyone could give me an update on how the range is during this time.Been using GFH for my indoor range. Thanks for your time.

No real rhyme or reason to use. however in my opinion mid morning to early aft usually a few to a bunch shooters around but always plenty of room.I typically get there lunch time and by the time i leave late aft often am alone or 1-2 guys.  thats applicable at the hg and 100yd ranges. maybe the 100 yd sees more ports filled than the hg range. However it will thin out soon with the cold weather.

Welcome to CR- fantastic deal.

Concerning CR cost, facilities etc.

Just to be relative to what's here in SC.

Half assed range 100yd rifle, a few pistol bays $300/yr

Decent range, active membership members, 4-6 pistol ports, 100yd rifle (20 positions), 800yd rifle 6 positions.  $100/yr + four work days (you can buy out of work days) + $750 initiation fee

So bang for the buck CR is cheap

• Like 1

Very true Mark!  You know I don't play well with others.

Cut the nonsense you ain't that bad.

I've never had a bad experience st CR and have been there on weekends.