voyager9

Lost our Golden today

We had to have our Golden Retriever put down today. She was only 7 but She was diagnosed with hemangiosarxoma about a month ago. For those that don't know this is a mother-fucker of a cancer. Prognosis is measured in weeks. We did the best we could, and we were really optimistic even as she recovered from surgery. Even yesterday she was playing with the other dogs. Afterwards her breathing was labored and the vet confirmed another bleed. We made the only choice possible.

What makes it even harder is all morning she continued to run around, wag her tail, and was in good spirits. The nature of this horrible disease.

The family, especially my wife, is devastated. And it feels like a cannon tore a hole in the house. Goodbye Abbey, we love you.

Posted Image

We had to have our Golden Retriever put down today. She was only 7 but She was diagnosed with hemangiosarxoma about a month ago. For those that don't know this is a mother-fucker of a cancer. Prognosis is measured in weeks. We did the best we could, and we were really optimistic even as she recovered from surgery. Even yesterday she was playing with the other dogs. Afterwards her breathing was labored and the vet confirmed another bleed. We made the only choice possible.

What makes it even harder is all morning she continued to run around, wag her tail, and was in good spirits. The nature of this horrible disease.

The family, especially my wife, is devastated. And it feels like a cannon tore a hole in the house. Goodbye Abbey, we love you.

9NW1gzU.jpg

So sorry for your loss. The land owner where I'm renting a  house in FL right now has a "ginger" golden 9yo male. He and I have gotten to know each other very well.

I know I'll miss him when I move out into my own place there.

:(

I'm very sorry for your loss. It's always so difficult to put a good friend down, even though you know it's the right thing to do.

What makes it even harder is all morning she continued to run around, wag her tail, and was in good spirits.

It's harder for you, but it sounds like she was happy right up to the end and she probably wasn't in too much pain.

So sorry for your loss. I just made a donation to the Monmouth County SPCA on behalf of Abbey.

Thank you! I really appreciate. And thank you to everyone for your thoughts. I have to be honest, this is much much harder than I thought it would be.

And if anyone is looking for a vet in the Cherry Hill area, Dr Howe Smith at PetPT is fantastic. We owe him dearly. Also I can't speak highly enough for the entire crew of Red Bank Vet Hospital. They were amazing throughout the whole ordeal.. Diagnosis, surgery, oncology, everything. Both helped us with our options and with making the hardest choice

I'm very sorry for your loss. It's always so difficult to put a good friend down, even though you know it's the right thing to do.

It's harder for you, but it sounds like she was happy right up to the end and she probably wasn't in too much pain.

No, you're right. And that was the most important thing for us.

Sorry for your loss.  Any that have had the love and companionship of a dog are truly blessed.   This is a poem from Wendell Berry's Sabbaths that has always touched me:

The eager dog lies strange and still who roamed the woods with me; Then while I stood or climbed the hill Or sat under a tree,

Awaiting what more time might say, He thrashed in undergrowth, Pursuing what he scared away, Made ruckus for us both.

He's dead; I go more quiet now, Stillness added to me By time and sorrow, mortal law, By loss of company

That his new absence has made new. Though it must come by doom, This quiet comes by kindness too, And brings me nearer home,

For as I walk the wooded land The morning of God's mercy, Beyond the work of mortal hand, Seen by more than I see.

The quiet deer look up and wait, Held still in quick of grace. And I wait, stop footstep and thought. We stand here face to face.

Sucks, we had to put my 7 yo GR (my pic) to sleep a few years ago. Had a cancer in his heart that ate through the wall. Fine one day, gone the next. One of the hardest decisions a person can make.

Condolenses.

PS: A new pup doesn't replace the old but their goofyness helps to remember the good times.

So sorry for your loss.  You have my sincere condolences.

I had a golden retriever for many years.  He would run with me just about every day, and love it.  They are beautiful dogs with great dispositions.  I have never seen one that did not look happy.