Sign in to follow this  
Redstachio

PA to NJ Long Gun Paperwork

I'm doing a transfer of three long guns this Saturday at a PA FFL, spoke with the dealer and he said I do not need to bring any NJ forms with me, just need my FID and DL. I asked him about COE and he said he didn't need that. ( I am NJ resident, original owner is PA )

So, the COE is just between me and the original owner, FFL has nothing to do with COE? 

This is my first out of state transfer, and dealer sounded like he knew his stuff, but just wanted to check here and see if there's anything I'm not doing or don't know about before I head down there. 

Thanks

Technically you are supposed to meet the laws of both states.  Transfers cannot be between two citizens of different states they must go through a FFL, Federal law here.  So your are getting the longuns from the FFL and not the original PA owner.  PA has no state forms, only uses the Federal 4473. NJ uses Federal 4473 and NJ COE.  I have seen transfers out of state where the FFL could care less about NJ forms only records your NJ FID number on his Federal 4473 and rightfully so, however if you want a completed NJ COE i see no reason why he could not fill out his part for you so you an have a copy.  I have seen PA FFLs that fill in the NJ COE and give it to you and attach a copy to their Federal 4473. To each his own.  

If he does not want to fill out the NJ COE then that is pretty much it.  I would not push him to complete it.  Keep your reciepts and head home.  There is no formal registration of long guns in NJ.

It's going from a PA resident (family member, no money is being exchanged) to myself, a New Jersey resident.

Ok, I misunderstood about the COE, so it's between FFL and myself, not original owner. 

So is the COE required in this instance? Should I insist that it be completed or find someone else to do it if he doesn't want to fill it out? 

Not your problem. I think that we can agree that a FPID is a waste of paper. It means nothing. The State of NJ doesn't even want the copy when a NJ dealer closes shop.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

So if the state doesn't care, when would you actually need to have a COE? 

I guess what I'm asking then, if PA FFL doesn't fill out COE and there's no purchase that would warrant a receipt since the guns are being gifted to me, what is my proof that the gun has been lawfully transferred into my possession. A copy of the 4473?

You can ask for one. I've given copies of the 4473 before. Aren't you paying the dealer for the transfer? He should give you a receipt with the firearm info on it.

Yes, I am paying the dealer for transfer itself...unfortunately not getting any sort of deal on that, but oh well.  

You can ask for one. I've given copies of the 4473 before. Aren't you paying the dealer for the transfer? He should give you a receipt with the firearm info on it.

I had called another shop in the same area earlier this week, a lot of PA FFLs turned me down. One saying I had to go directly to a NJ FFL to complete the transfer after leaving PA "because of laws". Talked to about 3-4 different guys actually...took me a while to find a ship that was helpful. 

Hey, give me a break, I grew up in Vermont ;)

Like I said, first time I've ever done this so I have no personal experience to compare it to like a lot of folks here already do, which is why I figured I would ask and get straight answers from people. 

Thanks for the reassurance and I appreciate the help. 

Unfortunately I'm here for good...or at least the next 20 years. :(

They are NJ legal, although I'm glad I talked to someone who knew what he was doing as I'd be worried some of the more inexperienced shops wouldn't know what to do with a "high capacity" Marlin 39A. 

Really surprised how difficult it was to find a place that would do it...right across the Delaware river, too. 

I was in a similar boat a short while ago. Purchased a NJ legal long rifle from a PA friend. We met at a PA FFL, friend turned the rifle to the FFL, FFL wrote it in his book as being transferred in from friend, then FFL transferred the gun over to me. He said from his perspective the NJ COE was unnecessary but he filled one out for me anyway. Info on the FFL is below. Real nice guy and had no problem working with me on this transaction when other PA FFL's I spoke to didn't want anything to do with it.

Brian Ahearn

Easton Firearms Refinsihing

915 Sassafrass St

Easton, PA 18042

Phone: 610-252-5334

Fax: 610-252-8821

Cell Phone: 610-252-5334

Hours: 8:00 am - 6:00 pm Mon - Fri; 8:00 am - 3:00 pm Sat

Long Gun Fee: $23.00

Hand Gun Fee: $23.00

NICS Fee: $2.00

... any other PA paperwork NICS Check etc and the FFL transfers the firearms out of his bound book to the PA resident.

There is no paperwork.

If you are concerned about memorializing the transaction with paperwork on your end, for your records to show that you acquired the rifle from someone.  Then just notate on a pad at the FFL the following  FFLs address, Book and line number and date of transfer.  Ask for a receipt for the transfer fee cost, staple it all together and throw it in a folder to never be seen again.

You will never get a PA FFL to write that on anything for you.