Samdjr74

What 22LR semiauto's to look for, need advice

Hi All,

Now that my wife is getting into the hobby and just started the FID and permit process she wants to narrow down her search on which guns she would like to try before she buys one.

Here's what she knows she wants

22LR, I've had her shoot a few different guns and calibers and she wants a 22.

This is for range/target use only. If she needs something for self defense in the home she knows how to shoot my .357's

She like the "look" of a Ruger Mark series and Browning Buckmaster

With that being said what else should she add to the list to try out. Keeping in the same vein as a Ruger and Browning is there anything else out there that works well, looks good and has a price point in the same range?

Thanks,

Sam

You cant beat the Browning Buckmark for A dedicated 22.  The Ruger is ok too, But different takedown to clean.

The M&P 22 seems to get good comments also.

Dont fall for the Mosquito (even when you find it dirt cheap)      I have A sizeable Sig collection but the Mosquito wont be in my safe.

With all due respect to Beretta (and i love my 92A1), the Neos is the ugliest thing I have ever seen and it seems to work differently than any other gun i've tried.  it shoots and is accurate, but i cant get over the look and design of it. 

Also want to throw the Walther PPQ 22.  Very similar to its big brother and almost identical internals to the M&P22 (and dont forget the M&P 22 Compact to try).  I have an M&P 22 and i have no complaints about it.  I am thinking of possibly getting the Walther PPQ 22 in the future though, just to have a second 22 pistol. 

That said, if she likes the look of the Ruger/Buckmark, you really cant go wrong with them.  They are fine target/range guns.  Well balanced and pretty accurate. 

With all due respect to Beretta (and i love my 92A1), the Neos is the ugliest thing I have ever seen and it seems to work differently than any other gun i've tried.  it shoots and is accurate, but i cant get over the look and design of it. 

S&W 22A is the same way - only the back of the slide cycles.  

I was going to ask her to take a look at the Beretta as well

Yes, it may be ugly/weird looking, but it feels really good in your hands and shoots really well.  You can put a Red dot on it very easily and it's a great range gun.

I have owned a MK III for years and have to say it is not the easiest to take down for cleaning, but it is not too hard if you are patient and do it fairly regularly... They are not a simple guns though.

I have never met someone that doesn't love shooting them though, they are a great newbie to intermediate shooter gun. I am thinking of doing some upgrades on the trigger but overall it is great!

The 22/45 is just as hard to clean, but very nice setup overall.

Thanks all,

I do like Ruger as a company and own two of their revolvers but I've heard that the dis-assembly and assembly process on the Mark III can be a challenge, how bad is it really?

Watch a Youtube video, do it three times in a row and you have it mastered.  Not difficult just different.

Thanks all,

I do like Ruger as a company and own two of their revolvers but I've heard that the dis-assembly and assembly process on the Mark III can be a challenge, how bad is it really?

As other posters have said it is different and can be a challenge the first few times you do it but once you get it down it's not that bad.

I have a MKI bull barrel from 1971 with a custom trigger and its the most accurate shooter I own.

Went .22 shopping with my 15yo daughter.  She likes to shoot but wasn't comfortable with my other guns.

She tried out several and we settled on the Browning Buckmark.  I know she made the right choice.  Comfortable, well built, tack driver, and looks nice too.

She also really liked the Neos and the Ruger 22/45.

Let her try different guns. Go to a range that rents them and let her try. She wouldn't buy a pair of shoes that look good but were too big or too small, why buy a gun she hasn't "tried on". Plenty of ranges rent guns. Let her try and make an informed decision based on feel and comfort, not what you think looks good.

How bout a 1911 with a 22lr conversion kit. That way she gets a full size 22lr and you get a 45. My wife started out shooting my 1911 wit a 22 conversion and liked it allot more than shooting my Walther pp 22. She did not like the recoil of the pp or any other small 22 pistol. But the weight of the 1911 tamed the recoil so she could get over her fear

Thanks all,

First few times a nightmare.  As parts wear a little and you get used to it it is no big deal.  Many videos on internet on how to do it.

My wife hates guns in general but she loves her Ruger SR22!  With the interchangeable back straps it can be custom fitted to the shooter. It is also accurate and eats any .22s you feed it!

Sr22 is a great gun. A friend of mine is picking one up for his wife.

I haven't shot in several weeks because it's been too hot.  Today was a nice day but I was busy all day.  I did squeak in a few minutes of shooting and just got back in the house before it got too dark.

I felt like relaxing instead of training so I took out the Buckmark.  Standing at 50 yds I was able to get shot after shot onto an 8" gong using the factory iron sights.  I realize that's not amazing shooting but it was fun.   The Ruger may be just as good a gun but I really like the buckmark.

Oh yeah, I was using the cheap bucket-o-bullets bullets.