Sign in to follow this  
jermz1987

Factory 870 Extension Issue.

I purchased a police trade in 870. I ordered a factory 870 +2 extension. When it arrived I installed it, The Issue I am having is that sometimes I can only load 5 shells. No matter how many ways I install the spring, tap the coupler, and do every trick in the book it still binds. I tried 2 different followers with the same issue. I tried using a Wilson Combat Spring and follower and it works perfectly. Only issue is the Wilson Spring is pretty short. Short in the sense that I can load 6 shells and push a 7th a little less the halfway in the tube. It cycles fine with no issues and does not bind. My question is this. Am I ok using this shorter Spring? Or will it cause issues when I go to shoot the gun? 

You might want to apply a small bevel where the two tubes meet. Odds are the spring or the follower are binding on that joint, so add a slight bevel to the inside edges of both tubes. This is specially important if the follower itself doesn't have a rear bevel, as a lot of the factory ones don't. 

This isn't an 870  Express is it?  IIRC there are two dimples on the mag tube that have to be drilled out in order for the extended mag to work correctly.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You mean the plastic one with the long leg behind it?

I never found it to work well for me. it has a pretty sever step in it at the back edge that touches the tube joints.

Anyway, bevel the inside of the tubes where they meet. Use some graphite lube inside the tube, and try it again.

Got a new spring and follower today and the issue is fixed.. Here is a pic of the shotgun by the way. Its a LEO trade in Police Magnum I purchased for 300.  The finish is pretty bad for the internals are mint and the action is like butter. Im probably going to order a new barrel without rifle sight for it. Then Maybe have it re parked. My dream is to send it in to Vang Comp to get some work done. 

68EAA711-8A2E-4BF4-A1B2-D7B8921DBF92.jpg