medved11

Rifle Dynamics RD703 - Worth the Price and the Wait?

I'm looking into adding a new AK to the collection and I'm considering taking the plunge and ordering a custom RD703 from Rifle Dynamics. I've checked with them and got a quote for a build that would be NJ compliant "out of the box"

Does anyone have any experience with these guns? Are they really worth the extra money and the wait (6-8 months from the time that the order is placed)

My other idea was to order a stamped Arsenal AK from Atlantic Firearms and then try to find someone in NJ that could help me customize it 

Basically, I'm looking to take a step up to the next level from the AKs that I've already got (NPAP, WASR, C39V2).

As always, any comments or suggestion from you guys that have been in the AK world longer than me are greatly appreciated.

They seem like very well built Ak's. As for the wait it is being made to order in America by Americans. Jim Fuller knows AK's and I think its worth the wait. The look on an FFL's face when he gets robbed of a compliance fee is priceless anyway! I hate having to chop and grind away perfectly good parts. I would also suggest DDI Ak's

They (the RD guns) definitely do look good - I'm tempted to jump on one but I want to make sure that I explore my other options before doing so.

I was looking at DDI AKs as well; however, they sold out on Atlantic Firearms shortly after the AK Operators Union guys nominated their guns as their "King of the Hill" a month or two ago. I've looked around on other online retail sites and they seem to be out of stock as well.

From what I understand from guys on other AK specific boards, the wait time for RD to complete upgrades can be almost as long as having them complete a custom gun. I guess it depends upon what you want to have done.

What interests me most about their custom guns is the front end modification that they do - the added bonus being that the muzzle brake is permanently welded to the barrel as part of the process so you eliminate the NJ compliance issue. The standard brake that they offer isn't NJ compliant since it's also a suppressor, but they do stock a brake that is NJ compliant  

I looked at the Krebs site and unlike RD's site, I couldn't easily figure out what they were offering in terms of their custom guns. They have a banner link to their KV-13 model but it doesn't indicate whether or not it's still in production (not to mention I wasn't really liking what it looked like)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are plenty of options. Krebs, Fuller, Defin Arms, Chris Butler at AKUSA,. IMO it all depends what you want. So what exactly are you looking for?

Some options are better than others. If you are looking for a good historical build then Marshall Arms or Gewerh Werks and another company I can't think of (piece of history firearms or something). If you're looking for a complete custom build that you don't mind paying top dollar for, then Krebs or Fuller is where I'd go. I'd go Krebs over Fuller but that's just me. If you're just looking to build a nice AK, there are plenty of good builders all over the States. It would save you a lot of money and you'd still get a premium package. 

If I was spending 2 grand on an AK, I'd get something custom built that is similar to the KV13. I like having the AK feel with a long rail for endless options, as well as the custom tuning of the internals while still being reliable and using AR mags and 5.56 chambering. 

I'm definitely looking for a custom build rather than a historical build. Ideally, I'd like something modern and tuned but not too weighed down - this is what drew me towards the RD builds initially. I don't tend to hang a lot of accessories on my guns, so the Ultimak rail is sufficient for an RDS and a light if I needed one.

I hadn't heard of AKUSA before so I'll have to check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have the space for shop tools so I'd have to have a shop do the work

There are plenty of threads and how to videos about it - don't really need a shop.

http://www.xdtalk.com/threads/saiga-ak-conversion-lots-of-pics.95588/

Ginsboy2003 builds an entire AK at his kitchen table!

Yes but the tools are not cheap.

I agree on the saiga conversion. I did the full conversion..new gas block and fsb, hg retainer and I did not even have a vise..

The tools I used were a press that I made with a threaded rod washers and bolts, notched the barrel with a chainsaw file, a dremmel, a punch and had a big as hammer :).

Yes but the tools are not cheap.

I agree on the saiga conversion. I did the full conversion..new gas block and fsb, hg retainer and I did not even have a vise..

The tools I used were a press that I made with a threaded rod washers and bolts, notched the barrel with a chainsaw file, a dremmel, a punch and had a big as hammer :).

If someone is considering a Rifle Dynamics AK, I'm pretty sure the cost of the Toth Tools wouldn't really matter lol

Another couple of "newbie" question about the Saiga conversions. 

I'm really starting to warm up to the idea of trying this but I want to make sure that I understand the whole picture before I jump in:  

1.  Full vs. Partial Conversion: I saw some reference to these terms in some of the threads that I was reading? What's the difference
  2. Stocks/Handguards/Gas Tubes: Am I correct in thinking that all of these parts are standard AKM size and not "unique" like Yugo AK parts? 
  3. Magazines: From what I've read so far, you need to use Saiga specific mags unless you install a bullet guide (which doesn't seem to difficult based upon what I've seen on YouTube
  4. Muzzle Brakes and Front Sight Block: From what I've seen most Saiga's don't have muzzle brakes - Is there a reason why most guys don't seem to add one, other than to avoid the hassle of having to thread the barrel? Same goes for the Front Sight Block - is there a reason that these don't seem to get upgraded?
  5. Tools Required: From what I've seen and read, it seems like you just need some basic hand tools to get the job done - it seems like a drill press may make some of the process go more smoothly

One more question about bullet guides.

If I understand correctly, you need to install a bullet guide in order to use standard (non Saiga) magazines and that there are two ways of installing one - either using a screw or a rivet.

I've read a few threads were guys claim that the "best" (and milspec) way is to rivet it in, while others say that this is unnecessary and that using a screw is just fine. There is a third group of people that used JB Weld (I'm presuming that this is not the way to do it).

For the guys here that have done conversions, which method (screw vs. rivet) did you use?

1.  Full vs. Partial Conversion: I saw some reference to these terms in some of the threads that I was reading? What's the difference

Partial conversion is just the basics that will get you into compliance - trigger parts and other internals.  Nothing else is touched.  Note - this could throw you back out of compliance if you use the bullet guide and then foreign-made magazines.  

Full conversion is changing out the handguard, stock, gas tube, etc, so that you can use foreign mags and still be in compliance... plus it looks better and you can customize to what you want done.

I have one of their customost build. I think I have about 3k+ rounds through it with out any issues. It handles well and it is always "wow, what kind of AK is that" at the range. I also have other AKs from the big AK gunsmith. I have one that's has bullet guide that's tapped and screwed. That broke off within 4ks rounds