Kingsoverqueens

NJ to PA Overnight and Back to NJ

I just read some of the PA laws and Fed stuff and looks like i"m ok, but if anyone has specifically checked into this and has an opinion, I'd like to hear it.

Leaving my house in NJ and going to PA and staying overnight in a hotel, coming back tomorrow.  Driving right past my range so I'm bringing a pistol (unloaded and stored in a locked case in the trunk).

Federal law covers the transport and possession in the hotel room in PA doesn't seem to be an issue.  

Bueller?

PA is an issue for transport of a handgun. Surprisingly, their handgun transport laws are much like ours. Limited movement when transporting - range and back, FFL & back etc. However, if you have a carry license/permit from any state (whether they have reciprocity with PA or not) it becomes the same type of scenario as NJ with long guns and an FPID and you are GTG.

I don't think FOPA comes into play here since NJ and PA are contiguous states. Much argument on the Internet about this, but the consensus was that it's for traveling through states, not just a single border crossing between contiguous states. You are bound by the state laws of the two states that you will be traveling between.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks guys.

Turns out I've got a change in plans.

Wife wants me to take her car because mine is acting squirrelly.

This means I'd have to unload all her shit to load up a target stands and stuff.

It's turning out not to be worth the hassle.

My new too me glock will have to wait...

Your little Glock isn't scary enough to warrant concern in Free America.  Bob is correct.  And so is everybody else, lol!  Now don't be a lazy-ass and get the kid(s) to unload the wife's car!  LOL!

Where there's a will, there's a PEW-PEW-PEW!

Also unlike New Jermany, I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) that in PA if stopped you must declare you have a gun.

All right - you were right about the heron, but wrong about this. There is no duty to declare in PA. Maybe you've been reading the drivel that the Phila PD puts out. As much as they think they are not governed by state law, they are wrong, also.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

All right - you were right about the heron, but wrong about this. There is no duty to declare in PA. Maybe you've been reading the drivel that the Phila PD puts out. As much as they think they are not governed by state law, they are wrong, also.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I wasn't 100% certain which is why I asked.  I thought you had to declare everywhere except in New Jermany, guess I have learned something today.  Thanks.

To meet the letter of the PRNJ law, travel directly to the range in PA with guns unloaded, locked in trunk separate from the ammo.  Upon return, stop at the range, then travel from there directly home with the guns and ammo in the same condition as above.

I have a dash cam on all the time to prove that I do this.  There is no requirement to shoot at the range, just travel directly to and from.

If you have a carry license from any other state, you can carry in PA in your vehicle and open carry all other places in PA except Philly, and of course the normal limitations of schools, etc.

Got pulled over easter sunday a few years ago while on the way to my weekend home to go shooting. I was carrying and had about 4 long guns and 1000 rdns in my trunk. At the time my Utah was still good. I was not sure if I needed to declare but my street sence said and always says say nothing but I was scared. Then when I got home I looked it up and sure enough no need to declare.

I no longer bring my carry gun to PA as I dont like leaving it in my car or off my person. My hope is that they get rid of the state AG in the next election and return to recognizing non res permits again.

I'm in the "FOPA covers travel to PA" club.  As I interpret the law, travel from your home to a place in PA that isn't a restricted place is legal. But I know it depends on the cop, prosecutor, and judge what's legal.

I don't imagine non-resident permits ever coming back to PA.   Even if they get a pro-gun AG in the future, there's very little pressure to do the work to make non-resident permits valid again because it doesn't effect anyone who can vote in PA.

I don't imagine non-resident permits ever coming back to PA.   Even if they get a pro-gun AG in the future, there's very little pressure to do the work to make non-resident permits valid again because it doesn't effect anyone who can vote in PA.

Perhaps, a "tourism/economics" case could be made for it...  Unlikely, but that is a possibility.

You would be breaking the law in NJ and breaking the law in PA and there is no FOPA coverage. Might as well load it and strap it to your hip because it wouldn't change the penalty in either state, although it would increase the likelihood of being caught.

I've heard often that FOPA doesn't protect you if you're transporting between contiguous states.   FOPA simply says "from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry".   It seems to me that my home is a place where I can possess and carry and PA is a place where I can possess and carry.

Maybe there is case law that I'm not aware of?   Can anybody enlighten me?

And what if the range is a private one, e.g. a backyard range?  Must it be some official public or membership facility?

I'm guessing yes, but I thought I'd ask.

Not sure in NJ but legal for the PA portion.

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

* (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

* (1) Constables, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens, or their deputies, policemen of this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions, or other law-enforcement officers.

* (2) Members of the army, navy, marine corps, air force or coast guard of the United States or of the National Guard or organized reserves when on duty.

* (3) The regularly enrolled members of any organization duly organized to purchase or receive such firearms from the United States or from this Commonwealth.

* (4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with a firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, the firearm is not loaded.

* (5) Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed firearm.

* (6) Agents, messengers and other employees of common carriers, banks, or business firms, whose duties require them to protect moneys, valuables and other property in the discharge of such duties.

* (7) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of any such person, having in his possession, using or carrying a firearm in the usual or ordinary course of such business.

* (8) Any person while carrying a firearm which is not loaded and is in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or place of business, or to a place of repair, sale or appraisal or back to his home or place of business, or in moving from one place of abode or business to another or from his home to a vacation or recreational home or dwelling or back, or to recover stolen property under section 6111.1(b)(4) (relating to Pennsylvania State Police), or to a place of instruction intended to teach the safe handling, use or maintenance of firearms or back or to a location to which the person has been directed to relinquish firearms under 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108 (relating to relief) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a licensed dealer's place of business for relinquishment pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S § 6108.2 (relating to relinquishment for consignment sale, lawful transfer or safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm or to a location for safekeeping pursuant to 23 Pa.C.S. § 6108.3 (relating to relinquishment to third party for safekeeping) or back upon return of the relinquished firearm.

* (9) Persons licensed to hunt, take furbearers or fish in this Commonwealth, if such persons are actually hunting, taking furbearers or fishing as permitted by such license, or are going to the places where they desire to hunt, take furbearers or fish or returning from such places.

* (10) Persons training dogs, if such persons are actually training dogs during the regular training season.

* (11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

* (12) A person who has a lawfully issued license to carry a firearm pursuant to section 6109 (relating to licenses) and that said license expired within six months prior to the date of arrest and that the individual is otherwise eligible for renewal of the license.

* (13) Any person who is otherwise eligible to possess a firearm under this chapter and who is operating a motor vehicle which is registered in the person's name or the name of a spouse or parent and which contains a firearm for which a valid license has been issued pursuant to section 6109 to the spouse or parent owning the firearm.

* (14) A person lawfully engaged in the interstate transportation of a firearm as defined under 18 U.S.C § 921(a)(3) (relating to definitions) in compliance with 18 U.S.C. § 926A (relating to interstate transportation of firearms).

* (15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided:

* (i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.

* (ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.

* (16) Any person holding a license in accordance with section 6109(f)(3).

Note: (9) and (10) require Sportsman's Permit.

I do suggest you get a CCP from somewhere so you are covered in the car in PA and maybe CC elsewhere in your travels.