panteramatt

transferring my 401k

A while ago many of you suggested I transfer my 401k to a vanguard ira. Well I finally got around to talking to someone and basically now Im WAY more confused as ever. He might as well been speaking spanish. Anyway I know nothing about stock and bonds and such and dont wanna get myself in trouble investing in the wrong thing so could some of you guide me in the right direction?

Depending on your age, you probably just want to split the money into a few good stock funds, especially if we are talking about a long time horizon.  Just do a little research on Google about the basics of investing.  It is really not that complicated.

My Ira at vanguard is in a target date fund (VFIFX although that may not be the right year for you)

I have no interest in actively managing my accounts and automatically diversified or index funds tend to have lower costs than paying someone else to actively manage

What are you confused about?

Educate yourself but investing isn't nearly as intimidating as many make it out to be.

You only need a handful of funds (if that). A lot depends on your age, risk tolerance and time until you'll need the funds.

Probably even more important is to make sure you are continuing to make contributions.

Have you been down to collect signatures yet for Recall Sweeeny? If not, or if you've been but are looking to parter up with someone, I'll make you a deal.

Knock on doors to collect signatures with me and I'll educate you the best I can about investing. Let me know when you have a free Saturday.

Vanguard, vanguard, vanguard. They are the best place to put retirement funds hands down. Low cost,good selection excellent customer service, very aprorpiate funds for the average retirement fund. Btw, they essentially invented target date retirement funds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Talked to prudential where my 401k is and they have an ira. Any reason I shouldnt use them instead of vangaurd?

Think of an IRA as your gun safe. It just holds things. Some IRA's limit what you can put in them. What does Prudential allow you, or more importantly NOT allow you, to put in theirs Do they limit you to only their proprietary (only Prudential funds)?

More than likely Vanguards funds will be more cost efficient than Prudential funds.

Do you think you'll ever want to invest in anything other than mutual funds? If so, make sure you'll be able to it in the IRA you move your money to.