scotty456

Seeking advice on what small 9mm pistol to buy

I have one remaining permit and want to use it to buy a small 9mm pistol.  I have looked at a couple, and tried out the M&P Shield and the XD-S, and was also told I should try the Glock 43.  So far, I liked the M&P Shield the best, but am wondering if this is a good, solid, reputable pistol to purchase (and also if I should get any additional accessories with it, such as an extended magazine - both for better grip and for more ammo).  Any information/reviews/opinions are welcome.  Thanks!

I shot the Shield and the XDS 3.3, side-by-side.   The XDS was a lot more accurate...groups just over 2" at 50' in my hands, despite the Shield having what I thought was the better trigger.   Other reviews also highlighted the accuracy of the XDS.    It's not something a lot of people care about in such a small pistol, but I was impressed.

So far, I liked the M&P Shield the best, but am wondering if this is a good, solid, reputable pistol to purchase (and also if I should get any additional accessories with it, such as an extended magazine - both for better grip and for more ammo).  Any information/reviews/opinions are welcome.  Thanks!

There's your answer - if you like it, get it.  It is a good solid pistol.  If you feel the need to try other things like extended mags - go ahead.

SiG p 938.

I tried the Shield, Nano, G43 and the XDS. All were fine and I was more accurate with the Nano but like the 938's trigger more.

I have a shield and have seen differences in trigger quality due to what I believe is inconsistent machining of the striker block channel inside of the slide. I have an Apex ultimate striker block that I've been meaning to install to address it. 

SiG p 938.

I tried the Shield, Nano, G43 and the XDS. All were fine and I was more accurate with the Nano but like the 938's trigger more.

This, pucker up the ponies. Won't regret it.

I had a chance to get them all in my hand and the Sig sold itself.

Thanks so much to everyone for the responses - some great information to help me pick.  I think I'll end up going with the Shield - have shot it a few times now and really am happy with the way it handles for me, but of course it always boils down to personal preference for the most part.  But I really appreciate all the great advice and information - thanks so much!

All my handguns are Sigs, except for revolvers. Then I added the Shield 9mm.

Even over the P938.

I'll add the 938 once Sig gets it refined A bit better.

Go for the Shield

Refine it? How so? It's a fine gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi

My thoughts are a little different. What gun do you own that you shoot most with, or do most of your holster work with. Let's say it's a glock. Now go buy the small gun from glock. Let's say it's a sig 226, now go buy a 239 (not tiny I know). And so on

My personal philosophy is that my carry gun has to work the same as my favorite gun, have the same controls in the same place and so on, or at least be very similar. I believe that when things get stressful one's brain will first suggest that with which it is most familiar.

Just my 0.02 etc. enjoy your new gun!

G

You have to ask yourself why you want one and it's intended purpose. I know they are carry guns but assuming you live in NJ, you most likely can't carry it.. I would try them all out and see which one that you like the best and will shoot the most. Who knows you may try the Walther PPS and be sold on it..

Good luck!

You have to ask yourself why you want one and it's intended purpose. I know they are carry guns but assuming you live in NJ, you most likely can't carry it...

I agree. That's exactly why I haven't purchased a sub-compact.  :morpheus:

You have to ask yourself why you want one and it's intended purpose. I know they are carry guns but assuming you live in NJ, you most likely can't carry it.. I would try them all out and see which one that you like the best and will shoot the most. Who knows you may try the Walther PPS and be sold on it..

Good luck!

Besides carry, little guns a fun to shoot.

I own and carry the G43 and Shield. I owned the XDs for a few months but in 9mm it is way too heavy for a small gun. It weighs more than the .45 XDs at over 20 ounces. Since you are not carrying, why get a heavy little gun that puts all the recoil into a thin section of your hand. Unless you are going to carry it, you will not shoot it much at the range once the initial excitement wears off.

I find the Shield to be a very good gun. Nothing negative but it just feels and looks out of proportion to me. Plus if I am going to use the extended magazine, I might as well get a gun with a longer barrel too. I out a laser on it and with the extended grip it is used as one of my home defense guns.

I love the Glock 43 and I am not a Glock lover. I love all metal Sigs and revolvers. However, the G43 is a very comfortable gun to carry and shoot. I also have the G42 since I have some torn tendons in my arm right now and cannot even hold a gun over 20 ounces or shoot a 9mm. It too is a very nice small gun.

If you want a big grip then go with the Shield. It is a very fine gun and holds more than the G43. I just do not find that it fits my hand as well as the Glock does. Plus with the extended grip it looks like a big grip on a small barrel and just does not feel right to me but I am very picky on a gun's balance in MY hands.

I would stay away from the XDs. It has a not so great trigger, is unforgiving of less than a rock solid grip and does not spread the recoil around like a wider gripped gun does. Plus it too heavy for what it is.

If you have the money the Sig P938 is the best of the small nines. It is lightweight, all metal and a very soft shooter. It shoots so well that you can use it as a range gun. It also has night sights. It is not discussed much probably due to price and that it has to be carried cocked and locked, which is not a problem for anyone not carrying one. I think it is the best all over small nine. The Shield is too heavy and big for pocket carry. The G43 is about the same size as a snubnose so it can be carried in my pocket but the Sig with its SA trigger is a dream to shoot.

I would just stay away from an XDs because although it is thin and fits in your pocket, its weight, more than a Glock 26, drags your pants down. It is not a comfortable gun to pocket carry and if you carry it on your belt, by the time you add a holster, you do not have a very thin package anymore. For you I would say that the Shield is your best choice since you can get a full handed grip on the Shield with the extended mag.

I will suggest one other gun which I think is a great gun. The FNS 9c. It is a compact sized FNS gun from FNH who makes military weapons. They have high quality and reliable guns at affordable prices. It comes with three different sized magazines so you can have a short mag, short mag with a pinkie extension or a long mag for a full handed grip. It is a double stack though but you cannot carry in NJ so why not.