ChrisS

Cleaning a new gun?

I'm finally picking up my mk III tomorrow. I should have picked it up already but I was blindsided by my dad's health complications for the last week and a half. Anyways- as anxious as I am to immediately use it at the range, is it in my best interest to hold off until I properly clean it? I have Ballisol at home, but still have to pick up a bore brush. Any other tools recommended for general maintenance?

I think you are going to hear some varying opinions but it would be great to hear from the MK owners. I'll say that i do a light cleaning and oiling to new pistols. I also run some swabs through the barrel but no bore brush. First a swab with hoppes, then a couple clean swabs. After that swab of CLP and a couple clean, then I'm good. I don't go crazy with cleaning a new pistol, i just want any factory sludge or grease to be non existent before the mayden voyage.....Not sure if that helps because i don't own an MK only glocks, beretta, and 1911.

For a Mk III, you'll probably need a soft (plastic/rubber) mallet to separate the barrel from the grip during a deep cleaning.

There are also a few specialty tools to flip the spring latch (on the back of the grip) open and drive out the bolt catch.

Also, lots of patience the first few times you do it.   

I now disassemble my Mk III down to every last component for a good cleaning.  Watch out for tiny springs and ball detents to go flying.   Replacing the hammer bushing to eliminate the magazine disconnect makes it a lot easier to re-assemble as well.

This issue came up in another thread regarding the Beretta 9mm Storm. 

Curious: Why do they use "sludge" on brand new guns? When I got my Beretta I removed the slide and was satisfied that it was sufficiently lubed. FTEs every 2-4 rounds. They claim the reason is factory gunk. Why?

Does something go wrong over time with normal cleaning and lubrication? I have two Makarov caliber pistols, both of which were probably sitting somewhere unused for decades. Like the Beretta they appeared well lubed when I got them. Never had a single malfunction of any type after 1000s of rounds through both. Why does this not apply to factory-new guns?

I'm sure I'm missing something here. 

Beretta tends to pack their guns in with packing grease instead of regular lube because it stays on better, longer.

I learned that late, the hard way.

After a full clean and lube, the gun worked 100%

Other manufacturers, I'm not sure of.  I've gotten Mossberg shotguns out of the box brand new and took 'em straight to the range without cleaning, with no issues.

I don't think it will harm the firearm if it were to be shot without first cleaning off the factory lube/grease. At best, you might experience some malfunctions which will probably scare you into thinking you have a bad gun.

I've shot an M&P Shield and a Beretta PX4 right out of the box immediately after it was purchased. Shield had 0 issues. PX4 had some stove pipes. Cleaned the gun, took it out again and have had 0 malfunctions.

Mandatory items for me when I clean my mark III:

Paper clip to remove latch in rear

Chopstick to manipulate hammer

Small rubber mallet to take barrel off frame and get it back on

I just lubed up the bolt and ran bore snake through it before shooting the first time.

The factory "lube" is actually a preservative. The factory doesn't want a gun to start corroding before its sold.

^^^^^EXACTLY!!  Coulnd't agree more GRIZ!

For those looking for answers (NOT you GRIZ):

And thicker "preservative" type lubes stick like glue to where they're applied, so no matter how the box is stored, the lube stays on everything.  If a too-thin (shooting) lube is factory-applied, chances are it will "pool" into one side of the gun as it lays on it's side in the box (in a hot warehouse), much like ordering a sub sammich w/ extra oil and vinegar..........  Which is why a Competitive Shooter will examine and do a wipe-down on barrels, bushings, rails, etc. even on a CLEAN gun.  Just too eliminate any "pooling" prior to a Match.  Because too much of a good thing can cause fouling to adhere to surfaces too.

With mags being left inside new guns it's also not uncommon for some "preservative" lube-sludge to find its' way onto the lips or follower of the mag.  You know, the parts that need the strictest tolerance in order to function at 100%.......

Which is why a Competitive Shooter will examine and do a wipe-down on barrels, bushings, rails, etc. even on a CLEAN gun.  Just too eliminate any "pooling" prior to a Match.  

This competitive shooter maybe cleans his guns every few months. Maybe :)

Generarly is a good idea to strip down every new gun just make sure there is nothing amiss, no shavings left inside, no bits of paper stuck onside (I found that once), etc. While you are  doing that, you might as well clean it.  From there on, I usually clean it when it tells me it needs a bath. 

Specifically to the Mk III, when my wife bought one a few years back, I just sprayed some lube on the bolt assembly, cycled it a few times, and she took it to the range and blasted half a brick through it. As far as I can tell there was no serious application of the storage/shipping lube on it.   As I've discovered with my MK II, the design doesn't really need cleaning, mostly make sure it has lube and maybe every few bricks of ammo, take the stocks off and spray it down with carbon cleaner like gunscrubber, let it dry, add oil, put grips back on.   I don't recall my MkII or my wife's MkIII ever failing from being dirty or under/over lubed. 

YMMV. 

Generarly is a good idea to strip down every new gun just make sure there is nothing amiss, no shavings left inside, no bits of paper stuck onside (I found that once), etc. While you are  doing that, you might as well clean it.  From there on, I usually clean it when it tells me it needs a bath. 

Specifically to the Mk III, when my wife bought one a few years back, I just sprayed some lube on the bolt assembly, cycled it a few times, and she took it to the range and blasted half a brick through it. As far as I can tell there was no serious application of the storage/shipping lube on it.   As I've discovered with my MK II, the design doesn't really need cleaning, mostly make sure it has lube and maybe every few bricks of ammo, take the stocks off and spray it down with carbon cleaner like gunscrubber, let it dry, add oil, put grips back on.   I don't recall my MkII or my wife's MkIII ever failing from being dirty or under/over lubed. 

YMMV. 

Gunscrubber really works too!  And thanks for bringing to light the machined tool shavings that like to gum-up rails.

I always field strip every new gun and give it the once over.

Except my MK III, because of the stories of how difficult they are to put back together.

First time at the range: FTEs and FTFs* all day. At least 1 or 2 per mag, with three different types of ammo.

After getting it home and doing my normal routine, no issues.

#YMMV

*feed, not fire.

Glad to read that I'm not the only slob in this forum :)

I clean my Mosins and SKS after each trip because of the ammo, but I don't do a complete takedown. The handguns are cleaned depending on the number of rounds I shoot through them, sortof. The only exception was when my S&W 617 experienced excessive leading from crappy ammo. That's why I always keep cleaning products in my $7 WalMart "ammo" box.

I take a lot of stuff with me when I visit CR. If I felt obliged to clean my handguns after each 50 rounds I would quit shooting. An activity where travel, prep, and maintenance significantly exceeds fun time is not a hobby, it's a chore. I have enough chores.

I get the feeling -- and this is just the feeling of a relative newcomer to the sport -- that guys who enjoy cleaning their guns are sort of like guys who enjoy cleaning and washing their cars. 

^^^^I never said I enjoy the cleaning part, I merely HAVE TO DO IT, because if I don't, my black powder guns will turn to a pile of RUST, lol!

As for new guns out-of-the-box, I always have de-gunked them because Dad taught me to do that about 44 years ago.  And nobody has made a magic, rustless, blue steel gun since (and de-gunking works for stainless too).

I'm finally picking up my mk III tomorrow. I should have picked it up already but I was blindsided by my dad's health complications for the last week and a half. Anyways- as anxious as I am to immediately use it at the range, is it in my best interest to hold off until I properly clean it? I have Ballisol at home, but still have to pick up a bore brush. Any other tools recommended for general maintenance?

Chris,

Sorry to hear about your father. Hope all is well.

Per your question, I always disassemble and clean a new gun before shooting. Rugers specifically have reputation for being a little rough inside. It's not uncommon to find some small metal shavings from machining or sharp edges on the inside that need to be knocked down with a file. Will it affect the gun if you shoot it without cleaning? Maybe......maybe not but, as has been mentioned, it can't hurt. It's also a good way to get to know how your gun functions.

Now, I will admit, I am the type of person mentioned above who likes to clean my truck. Not that I like the act of cleaning it but, I like it to be clean. I'm the same way about my guns but not obsessive about it. My MKIII Comp that I use for my .22 winter league does not get a cleaning after the first match until the end of the season. I don't like to touch anything on it mid season unless I know I'll have a range day before the next match (which is weekly). So it probably gets 2000 rounds through it before it gets cleaned. I don't think I've shot a single alibi with it in the two seasons I've used it.

If it's a gun I use often I'll just wipe it down and put it away until I think it needs a cleaning. If it's something I know I won't use for a while I'll clean it within 24 hours.

Watch a video to see how to breakdown the MK and take your time the first time. It can be a little frustrating at first but, once you understand what's going on inside it's really easy.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe!

Whatever I buy, it's lucky if lasts 24 hours before I tear it apart and give it a good cleaning :D

The MK pistols are nice, I was going to buy one but picked up another mil-surplus instead. The MK pistols I've heard are a bit tricky to reassemble but no experience with this.

I've never cleaned or disassembled any firearm I've ever bought before taking it to the range. I open the box, insert ammo, pull the trigger many times, then go home and think about what I bought. I might clean in the next day or two.

New guns get cleaned, lubed, and inspected prior to their first range trip.

Work guns get wiped down and lubed after every range session. They get cleaned, inspected, and lubed every 1000-1500 rounds. They will also get wiped down and lubed after working a shift in the rain or after a tour in high humidity - like this week.

Non-work guns get wiped down and lubed every 1000-2000 rounds. They are cleaned and given a thorough inspection once a year.

If I am attending a class, I will wipe down and apply lube during the mid-day break period.

Preventative maintenance is conducted on all guns as per the manufacturer's recommendations and my personal experience with the platform. Generally I will swap parts out (action springs, recoil springs, trigger springs, bolts, gas rings, etc...) between 3000-5000 rounds, depending on the platform.

Other than inspections or PM replacements, if I am spending more than 10 minutes working on a gun, something is wrong.

New guns get cleaned, lubed, and inspected prior to their first range trip.

Work guns get wiped down and lubed after every range session. They get cleaned, inspected, and lubed every 1000-1500 rounds. They will also get wiped down and lubed after working a shift in the rain or after a tour in high humidity - like this week.

Non-work guns get wiped down and lubed every 1000-2000 rounds. They are cleaned and given a thorough inspection once a year.

If I am attending a class, I will wipe down and apply lube during the mid-day break period.

Preventative maintenance is conducted on all guns as per the manufacturer's recommendations and my personal experience with the platform. Generally I will swap parts out (action springs, recoil springs, trigger springs, bolts, gas rings, etc...) between 3000-5000 rounds, depending on the platform.

Other than inspections or PM replacements, if I am spending more than 10 minutes working on a gun, something is wrong.

Every trip to the range I fully disassemble (not just field strip) when I'm done. Hoppe's 9 on a cleaning rag, break cleaner for small parts, bore brush and patches, everything gets lubes and reassembled / wiped down with a silicon cloth when down and put into a safe.

Even if it's only 50 rounds, the above applies. I'm OCD when it comes to cleaning my guns but this is coming from someone who changes his oil every 1,000 miles...

Guns require cleaning??

Kidding... I took a new Ruger directly to the range. Had some failure to eject issues. Took it home and cleaned it. Found some grease on internal parts. Cleaned that all up, lubed and reassembled.

Learned that I should have cleaned it prior to the first range trip given what it looked like inside. Picking up a new gun next week and will definitely clean and inspect it before it sees the range.

It depends on the gun, but a good rule of thumb is to clean and lube your new firearm prior to use. Glocks come with a copper colored grease they say is a proper lubricant, however, my S&W 22A was almost bone dry and required a good cleaning.

Why clean something if it's only going to get dirty again?

Wipe off whatever factory crud is on a new gun before firing. If have to go to the range immediately because I can't wait I still wipe it down with a pretreated cloth with solvent and then put some lube on it. I'll clean we'll later. I also like to,take it apart to make sure everything is as it should be, never hurts to inspect.