WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Best States for Gun Owners 2015

I gotta throw in this friendly jab at Mipafox:

20. Pennsylvania

15. Texas

....just sayin'

You have to realize that

1) these are often journalists assigned stories about topics they know nothing about. Every goddamned article you read lists NJ as a "may issue" state. Like CT, which is de facto shall-issue.

2) the "middle" states between constitutional carry and limited carry (NY, MA, CA) and no-carry (Md., NJ, HI) are all pretty much the same. They all have stupid rules yeah. But the difference between NJ and PA is like the difference between hog piss and 1961 Ch. Lafite Rothschild. 

See I stick up for you Mr. Mustard Gas.

I noticed is says Rhode Island is Shall Issue....apparently there was a state Supreme Court ruling back in April that required the town issued permits to be shall issue while the AG permits are still may issue? Does anyone know if it is at the point of us non-residents being able to apply successfully yet? I usually do a trip there every year or two... I'd go more is I could ccw there..

I gotta throw in this friendly jab at Mipafox:

20. Pennsylvania

15. Texas

....just sayin'

Seriously?

Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License

Title 10 Chpt. 46 § 46.03

 A place of business that derives 51% or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on premises consumption

 On premises of a correctional facility

 On the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private,

 On the premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event of interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event

 On the premises of a polling place on the day of an election or while early voting is in progress.

 racetrack; secured area of an airport

 In any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court.

 *on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.

 *On the premises of a Hospital licensed under the Health and Safety Code

 *On the premises of a nursing home licensed under the Health and Safety Code

 *Amusement parks. Amusement Parks means a permanent indoor or outdoor facility or park where amusement rides are available for use by the public that is located in a county with a population of more than one million, encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed with access only through controlled entries, is open for operation more than 120 days in each calendar year, and has security guards on the premises at all times. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

 Public or private premises conspicuously posted with a Sign that meets these Criteria.

 Items above marked * Do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

Do “No Gun Signs” Have the Force of Law?

“YES”

30.06(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035. In order to provide notice that entry on property by a license holder with a concealed handgun is forbidden, Penal Code Section 30.06©(3)(A) requires that a written communication contain the following Language: 30.06 Sign.

F all that. It's against the law to carry almost anywhere except walking down the street and you guys are checking databases looking for stores without signs so you don't go to jail.

That part. Get rid of all that carry ban and threat of jail nonsense.

F that nonsense. I'd take it over Jersey but not by much.

We also have more people carrying than you. Not the carry rate, ours is 4x yours. More total people carrying in our tiny little Commonwealth. And more hunters. And more NRA members. And Texas sucks for gun owners. It is a hell of a great state though, lots of respect. Just fix your horrible gun laws.

Texas allows you to shoot trespassers on you property at night for vandalism... ( but not during the day.) Crazy..... The thinking is that at night it is harder for you to tell the difference between a simple act of vandalism and say a home invasion about to occur. They take shoot first and ask questions later literally down there. The TX CCW class went over a lot of scenarios for when it was ok to use deadly force that made my jaw drop...

PA has a castle doctrine also.

Beyond reproach.

Texas has better SYG, though. PA has Fisher Price My First SYG, still better than most. I fought for it and got some cosponsors and some congressional votes.

Texas is a far superior state to PA in almost every measure. I'm just really disappointed in their gun laws. Once you have all those restrictions on places you can carry, I don't think you can ever roll that stuff back. Nobody is going to say, "We shouldn't have laws about 'no guns' signs anymore" or most of the other stuff. The only ones I have seen change nationally in the last 10 years are one or two states about carrying in church, one or two states about carrying in a place that sells liquor, and a few more states about carrying at schools of colleges. It's just really hard to change that stuff.

There are other problems with Texas gun laws but those are clearly the worst and most damaging in everyday life. I don't know the legislative history but I suspect it is because Texas was an early adopter of "Shall Issue" in the 80s (?) and it probably came with a lot of baggage to get it passed, including the OC "threat" at the time. Conversely, it has never been illegal to carry a gun in PA although the licensing scheme for CC specifically has waxed and waned since our first UFA in 1934 IIRC. I know people that have had CC permits (LTCF) in PA continuously since the 1970s and there was nothing special about them. Our version of "Shall Issue' was basically just an update to the UFA that said, "Hey you handful of bad actor Sheriffs out there - Knock it off!" A much more simple change. And tidying up some misc. stuff.

Vermont is even better...

I certainly hope Vermont holds out in future as long as it has in the past.

As a former born/raised resident, Vermont is increasingly becoming FLOODED with upper class NYers, Massholes, and Conn clowns. And that was 10 years ago and only gotten worse as time has gone on. Property taxes are through the roof...

I miss it terribly, but it's overburdened with out-of-state elitists that will no doubt be it's downfall. 

Very sad. 

Vermont is in a class all by itself. I can bring a can there and get a $50 fine if caught, but VT residents can't buy a can :) Other than that, their gun laws are 100% permissive. They are nearly 100% old school liberals, but that is a very fragile and tenuous condition. The natural tendency of old school liberals is to become modern liberals and progressives and destroy all freedom and liberty. I'm very concerned for them. It's such a wonderful state.

Old school Vermont is becoming a thing of the past (redundant, I know), even in areas away from Rte 4 and the interstate. It imported a ton of blue collar baby boomers in the '70s, which was ok by me, as they became permanent residents and settled nicely in the lifestyle.

And while the new breed of rear-wheel-drive BMW owners that are taking over bring a ton of revenue, they are also bringing their Manhattan mindset to the countryside. It sucks to watch.

But I'm proud to call it my home, because it allowed me to see both sides and that's why it's unique. It comes with a stigma though, most consider me a liberal just because of the upbringing. Which may be true, but it certainly helped my appreciation and understanding of the importance of the 2A. 

Vermont is in a class all by itself. I can bring a can there and get a $50 fine if caught, but VT residents can't buy a can :) Other than that, their gun laws are 100% permissive. 

Actually, that's changed.  Suppressors are now 100% Legal in Vermont for range use, but not hunting.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150518/vermont-session-ends-on-positive-note-as-suppressor-legislation-clears-legislature

http://legislature.vermont.gov/bill/status/2016/H.5

Signed by Governor Shumlin June 17, 2015.  Went into Effect July 2nd, 2015.

This is tremendous, thank you Krdshark! :)

We've had a number of substantial wins in these States over the past few years, and this one was unexpected to me and no less compared to any other - if considering points for popular difficulty :)

Wow, that reinvigorates my hope for VT.

Anti-gun liberals are astounded when I explain that Vermont was the first and for centuries the only (or one of very few) constitutional carry states. One very close relative, whose ex in-laws live there and whom she's visited many times, said "IT CAN"T BE!" Next time I saw her I asked if she'd looked it up and she replied "OH C'MON!!" And this person is an attorney.

Yet in visiting, about 20 times during my adult life, I've never seen anybody carry anything other than bottled water. That includes trips to the NE Kingdom and many places off the beaten track, away from the ski resorts.

Yet in visiting, about 20 times during my adult life, I've never seen anybody carry anything other than bottled water. That includes trips to the NE Kingdom and many places off the beaten track, away from the ski resorts.

Vermont at it's roots is a humble place. You keep to yourself and don't advertise.

When I lived in NH it was a shall-issue state I believe. That was 1979-80. NH was also one of the most conservative states. Today it's overwhelmingly liberal due to people moving in from Massatwoshits. But its gun laws haven't changed for the worse. I'm sure there are pockets of assholes in both states that would ban firearms, but reason seems to win out.