Sign in to follow this  
Kevin125

Reticle Suggestions ?

I'm checking out some scope options for what I hope will be my first Precision Rifle. I'd probably do most shooting in NJ at 300 yds......since I don't know of any longer ranges here.

What I'm having trouble with is ......which reticle type. On my AR Leupold I use a MilDot. But there are a bunch of other reticles as everyone here knows.

Any quick suggestions about which reticles I should consider? I'll dig into data on how to use them, but just looking for somewhere to start

Don't go nuts on details. If you say you like this reticle or that, that's enough for me to get started.

Thnx

Yes and no Vlad.  Roughly speaking, with my 7.62 OBR I would be dropping almost 15" at 300y.  1.4Mil could be a miss on a 10" plate.  But you would just hold over.

I have both a Gen2 Miltod (NF 2.5-10) and an MSR (Steiner 5-25)  At 300y, the milldot is more than enough and if you are shooting known distance targets the errors that may occur with a less experienced shooter using a mildot reticle to determine ranges are eliminated.  Reticles like the MSR shine when you have to quickly calculate ranges to target.

I find that reticle choices are as much personal preference as they are performance driven. 

I saw that G2 reticle option I think on the Bushnell XRS line.  Burris XTR II line had an F-Class MOA but not sure I'd like it   It's a little busy..    But I didn't want to not have key markings like you're saying.  Their lower powered XTR II had a couple of other choices than might be ok.

I thought some of the scope makers would make some decent simulators so you could try their optics and decide which way to go.  Actually.... I figured they would have done that 15 years ago. 

For 500 yds or less, I also don't see a need for a 40X scope.  Seems like 25x (Burris) to 30x (Bushnell) is more than enough.  Going to take a look at the Bushnell's as well.  Lot of choices.

Thanks MidwestPX

Personally, I think at 300yards it doesn't really matter. You won't have to calculate a lot of drop and windage

Right.   I'm hoping to get out of our state for some longer range shooting.  I did leave that out of my post.  Also, I wouldn't be doing any ranging of targets. It's all known.  But I can do that with MilDot anyway.

Just don't want a really busy reticle that I didn't need, or have one that was missing something I would eventually want.

Thnx Vlad

Right, my point is not that there is no drop at 300 yards (depending on your zero distance), my point is that most reticles would work because there is only so much math do be done at known distances or "short" distances. 

More recently I've been liking the mil/mil scopes out there, and if was buying one for myself I would be looking in that direction. I think it matters a bit less exactly what unit of measure the reticle uses, as long as the turrets and the reticle use the same unit of measure and there is enough definition in both  (ie. something like 1/10mil adjustments). 

However, I think this is a very personal choice for most people. Play with a few scopes that other people might have at the range, ask them why they like them, and decide what works best for you. 

Yes and no Vlad.  Roughly speaking, with my 7.62 OBR I would be dropping almost 15" at 300y.  1.4Mil could be a miss on a 10" plate.  But you would just hold over.

I have both a Gen2 Miltod (NF 2.5-10) and an MSR (Steiner 5-25)  At 300y, the milldot is more than enough and if you are shooting known distance targets the errors that may occur with a less experienced shooter using a mildot reticle to determine ranges are eliminated.  Reticles like the MSR shine when you have to quickly calculate ranges to target.

I find that reticle choices are as much personal preference as they are performance driven. 

Right.  At 300 yds, like you guys say, there's just not that much going on to worry about.   Since I've done some shooting with Mil Dot, I'd been leaning that way anyway.  This is good info to get me started.  Really appreciate you guys adding your comments.  thnx

I like the EBR 2 Mil hash reticle by Vortex Optics.

IMO, if you plan on staying with long range, precision rifle, get what you will eventually need someday (even though you are only shooting 300 yds at the moment).

BTW, Cumberland (rifle range) goes out to 600 and is in south NJ.

Eric

Ok, will check that out as well. Edit: very clean looking.

Which Vortex scope? I have one of their red/green dots for my DDm4.

I'm looking at the Burris SCR-Mil in an XTR II 5-25 x 50.

And thanks re: Cumberland. Thought I read about a 500 yd range down there but couldn't find anything.

I saw that G2 reticle option I think on the Bushnell XRS line.  Burris XTR II line had an F-Class MOA but not sure I'd like it   It's a little busy..    But I didn't want to not have key markings like you're saying.  Their lower powered XTR II had a couple of other choices than might be ok.

I thought some of the scope makers would make some decent simulators so you could try their optics and decide which way to go.  Actually.... I figured they would have done that 15 years ago. 

For 500 yds or less, I also don't see a need for a 40X scope.  Seems like 25x (Burris) to 30x (Bushnell) is more than enough.  Going to take a look at the Bushnell's as well.  Lot of choices.

Thanks MidwestPX

I have a 3.5-21 DMR with the G2 reticle on my 6.5C that is more than enough for 500 yards and beyond.

I prefer lines over dots, g2, tmr, p4f, gen 2 xr, etc. I find it easier to mil objects with them.

+1

Mil hash marks over mil dots for me too.

The P4F (S&B) and the Gen 2 XR (Premier reticles) are my personal favorites.