JackDaWack

Anyone ever heard of Ten Ring Ammunition?

Couple buddies asked me to go shooting yesterday. I told them to grab some ammo and they showed up with Ten Ring 9mm 115gr. Cases were Headstamped DRT 9mm. Any info on these cases out there? looked but didn't find much on the DRT stamp or ten ring in general. I grabbed probably close to 150 cases to reload.

The only thing i can piece together is DRT- Dynamic Research Technology which uses CBC cases, no idea if that's accurate.

Debating to throw them out or into my brass bin.

If you reload and if they are boxer primed, why on earth would you throw them out without even trying them?

Honestly, it was more about never hearing of the company before or the headstamp. It felt like uncharted territory to me. I can plug in almost any headstamp and get a manufacture. So when i did a search for it and came up empty, other then retailers selling the stuff i got a little interested in the quality of the brass. I cant even find a company website.

I will add for anyone interested, out of about 150 rounds we had 3 FTF rounds of this stuff in a Beretta M9A1.

If DRT is in fact CBC re-branded, then i wouldn't even think twice, but recently i get worried with these "new" companies that are or started up simply to fill a gap in the demand for ammo.

So I assume that you found their website...

http://www.drtammo.com/

In the quick research that I did, I didn't find mention of CBC. The Ten Ring ammo just seems to be their conventional line of ammo, as opposed to the frangible and lead-free that is primary in their line.

Unless the flash holes are consistently off-center, or the primer pockets are sloppy or misshapen, I'd certainly give them a try. At least they are a known quantity, unlike the range pick-ups that brass scroungers have used for years (that should have stopped with the advent of 9 Major, the .40 S&W unsupported chambers and the use of SPP in .45 ACP).

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I like the 'total metal Jacket" in place of FMJ - lol

TMJ has been around for ages. Most FMJ is open at the base so lead can be evaporated during firing. TMJ has the base covered too. Speer has a clean fire version of Lawman that uses TMJ.

Did a little research. The only common brand that is jacketed but has a covered base, seems to be Prvi Partizan. They use a FMJ with a plated base - which would seem to be more trouble than it's worth. If you are going to plate the base, why not plate the whole bullet? Eliminates one step from the production process and saves money - ah, those nutty Serbs. LOL.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have a bunch of boxes of XTP rounds, i believe they are identical to the HAP bullet aside from the cavity. They should be jacketed at the base, i have no idea how they taper the nose.

Both rounds have the cavity but the HAP (Hornady Action Pistol) does not have the pre-striated jacket, as it's not meant to expand. I use Hap bullets in my .38 Super.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I will add for anyone interested, out of about 150 rounds we had 3 FTF rounds of this stuff in a Beretta M9A1.

I would consider that an unacceptable failure rate for any ammo. I've use enough CBC to know their failure rate isn't 2%.

I would consider that an unacceptable failure rate for any ammo. I've use enough CBC to know their failure rate isn't 2%.

Considering i have NEVER had a FTF in my Beretta, which has about +2,000 rounds through it over the years, i thought exactly the same. It wasn't my ammo, so i didn't think much of it, but i wish i took a round that jammed and measured the dimensions.