Kevin125

GunVault Biometric Safes - How Secure?

I've been looking at GunVault brand biometric safes. I want to lag mount a biometric handgun safe in my bedroom. I've taken a look at these on websites, including checking the manual. My concern is that they mat not be strong enough to not be opened with a pry bar. Also, the thickness of the base with holes is a concern based on the images I've seen. Almost as if you could pry it off the lag heads.

But buyer reviews are generally good.

I get it that if someone is in the house alone and has enough time and tools, they will detach the safe somehow and walk out with it even if its lagged to the subfloor and joists.

I just don't want to be leaving a hand gun with a loaded magazine in a safe that can be popped open in 3 minutes.

Does anyone who has bought any of these have an opinion on the strength of the safe?

http://www.gunvault.com/skin/frontend/gunvault/gunvault/pdf/GVB_1000-2000.pdf

Good question on why bio. Was thinking speed of access and not needing a key when its dark.

Wall does sound better than lagged to floor. Probably less conspicuous as well. Plus you can sister up studs to make it very time consuming to get out of the wall.

Thnx

These things are great, for what they are designed for.  They are locking cabinets designed maining to keep honest people honest.  They will not stop a determined individual with time.  But, that is not their purpose.

Biometric is out for the reasons you guys described. Looking at an in wall safe with UL rated lock.an AMSec WS1214E5. Electronic lock, but not one of the shitty crackable e locks you see getting opened on you tube. Thing weighs 86 lbs.

Pretty quick access. As secure as i think i need it to be.

Thanks for info

I'm In here kind of late, but I'll add my opinion anyway

I have 2, one is a single in my office screwed to the desk, the other is a double screwed to my dresser in the bed room. There are there to keep things legal and give me access to both of our guns in the br and my backup in my office. Both of them are the plug in models (deluxe?) with the 4 button pads. I wouldn't trust biometric in a panic situation. I also know that they don't stand much of a chance if we are truly burglarized. I have a shotgun shot lock which uses the simplex type lock. There again it's just to avoid people touching things they shouldn't.

Everything else is in a real safe

I have a biometric safe and it works 100% flawlessly

+1, some of those videos were of early models that had faults, I think they are made much better today.  The one I have let's you program 32 fingers (I don't have that many) so I have programmed several in various different positions on the sensor.  I have never had it fail to open with one of my registered fingers, and it does not open with unregistered ones.  I have a Baraska which beside the biometric has a numeric keypad you can also use and a key backup.  As I said before I consider these locking containers designed principally to keep otherwise honest people honest.

I have four GunVault safes around the house for home defense. However, the biometric ones are not as reliable for me as their normal ones where you just tap your fingers in a pattern. The fingerprint reader does not work every time, especially if you are in a hurry or have blood on your finger. There was a magazine article pitting the two types against each other and the manual open one was faster for what it is worth.

I strongly recommend the "Fort Knox Pistol Box". Purchasd mine last year from gunsafesamerica.com. Currently $195 with free shipping. Simplex lock, built like a tank. See my 5 star review on their website dated Oct 11, 2014. Am considering getting another.