MissionaryMike

Bug Out Bag Suggestions

Which brand and model are you guys using?

The price ranges on "bug out bags" quite a bit.  On the surface, many look the same: size, color, molle straps, etc.  Is it worth getting a $150 5.11 Tactical over a $40 OPMOD?

Also, what are your personal top 10 must-haves in your BOB?

Looking forward to your guys' opinions,

MM

OK let's get the negativity out of the way. 

The romance of bugging out has captured the imaginations of millions of Americans, including mine. 

Questions:

1. Is anything special about a bag designated specifically for bug-out? Why can't a bunch of back packs do the job? Do you own $150 sneakers? My entire wardrobe except for the suit I just bought for a big family event is barely worth $150. 

2. Where are you bugging out to? Do you have a secret underground lair? When the SHTF will the roads be clear for you to drive somewhere? 'Cause if you're planning on hiking into the woods you're going to die. 15 days if you're alone, 5-10 days with a spouse, 3-4 days if you have young children.

3. If your bug-out location is close to home won't the zombies eventually find you?

4. What do you do for water? When the food runs out? 

5. If you live in the sticks or semi-sticks like me, do you realize that every animal larger than a mouse will be hunted and eaten within oh, 4-5 days? Do you know what the Jamestown settlers mostly died of? Starvation, and they had all the game relative to their numbers that they could want.

6. If you live, say, in Parsippany you will barely get to Troy Hills before somebody shoots and eats you. This is a really disgusting horrible sick thing to say but your hangers-on will likely be more appealing gastronomically than you.

7. If you live in a real NJ city you won't walk or drive three blocks before something terrible happens.

The bug-out/SHTF scenario is so unlikely, and so unpredictable in the event that it occurs, that you can plan for it no better than you could for a serious but not extinction-inducing meteor strike that may hit Siberia, maybe the east coast, maybe Africa, ...

Plan, save, prepare for the things over which, if they come to pass, you have some measure of control. Like losing your job, a serious illness in the family, getting mugged. Don't fret over situations where you're basically screwed no matter what you do.

Regards,

Benedict

fact is we live on an island. if we don't see shtf coming a mile away, by the time we feel the need to bug out, the roads'll all be clogged with 3 million drivers. amongst those will be the stupid, criminal, and careless. your vehicle is only defendable if you can keep it moving at a decent rate of speed. on the other hand, your home is defendable.

My GHB(get home bag) and personal rucks are T.H.E packs by www.specopsbrands.com

I have a few of them, and have put them through all kinds of abuse, and they hold up.

American made too, if that matters to you.

About $120

OK let's get the negativity out of the way. 

The romance of bugging out has captured the imaginations of millions of Americans, including mine. 

Questions:

1. Is anything special about a bag designated specifically for bug-out? Why can't a bunch of back packs do the job? Do you own $150 sneakers? My entire wardrobe except for the suit I just bought for a big family event is barely worth $150. I look for something inconspicuous and spacious with multiple compartments and all-metal zippers.

2. Where are you bugging out to? Do you have a secret underground lair? When the SHTF will the roads be clear for you to drive somewhere? 'Cause if you're planning on hiking into the woods you're going to die. 15 days if you're alone, 5-10 days with a spouse, 3-4 days if you have young children. A pre-planned and stocked destination nearby. Alternate methods avoiding major roads and highways mapped out in advance. For me, my spot is a two hour walk away

3. If your bug-out location is close to home won't the zombies eventually find you? Not for me. I'm already in the middle of nowhere. My BOL is even more in the middle of nowhere.

4. What do you do for water? When the food runs out? A BOL should be stocked with enough supplies to give you the time so you can get a plan together to survive.

5. If you live in the sticks or semi-sticks like me, do you realize that every animal larger than a mouse will be hunted and eaten within oh, 4-5 days? Do you know what the Jamestown settlers mostly died of? Starvation, and they had all the game relative to their numbers that they could want. Agreed.

6. If you live, say, in Parsippany you will barely get to Troy Hills before somebody shoots and eats you. This is a really disgusting horrible sick thing to say but your hangers-on will likely be more appealing gastronomically than you. Yep. Be ready to shoot back?

7. If you live in a real NJ city you won't walk or drive three blocks before something terrible happens. If I lived in a city, I'd almost hunker down and bug-in for a bit before trying to GTFO

The bug-out/SHTF scenario is so unlikely, and so unpredictable in the event that it occurs, that you can plan for it no better than you could for a serious but not extinction-inducing meteor strike that may hit Siberia, maybe the east coast, maybe Africa, ...

Plan, save, prepare for the things over which, if they come to pass, you have some measure of control. Like losing your job, a serious illness in the family, getting mugged. Don't fret over situations where you're basically screwed no matter what you do.

Regards,

Benedict

Be the grey man.  Avoid the tactical, MOLLE, mall ninja stuff...

This.

You should be probably thinking of a get home bag not a bug out bag. Given population densities around here, you would need to travel hundreds of miles which means vehicles, getting out early, etc, not a bag.

On the other hand, a bag that gets you home in case of an emergency where you may have to cover a couple dozen miles on foot if you car needs to be abandoned is a different conversation. 

I don't think you need to worry to much about a molle bag or tactical pack not being grey enough, I see them often enough on college campuses, but if you want something stealthier, the Kelty Redwing packs are awesome. They are roughly the same size as a 3day tactical pack (they do come in multiple sizes) and built very tough. I've used a Redwing for hiking for over a decade and it not any worst for wear. They are not a ultralight type pack, they are a solid compact to midsize internal frame pack that doesn't look that different then a decent large school backpack at first look.

Why would you bug out to near where you already live? If the zombies can find your residence you don't think they can find your shack? There's something to be said for having neighbors around as well. And when you do return to your original home it will be ransacked if not totally destroyed. 

Ummm, ok. 

Solar panels and a generator then?

MM I'm really not trying to bust your gonads here, just providing my perspective :)

If you have panels you'll need storage, not a generator. A re-chargeable battery that will store the day's energy and deliver it when the sun don't shine. You'll never get 100% coverage though as the conversions are far from 100% efficient. We have panels. Our bills range from $5 during sunny June to $150 when the panels are covered with snow.

You can google "bug out problems" or some such and find much more comprehensive critiques of bugging out. In short it's a very high risk response to an extremely improbable event. Put the $150 into your kid's college fund. If you like pick up used back packs at garage sales for $1. With zippers of course.

Zombies are a convenient and non offensive metaphor for all sorts of social unrest, apocalyptic plagues, etc.  You know .. the things that make people want to hide in the woods. 

Zombies are a convenient and non offensive metaphor for all sorts of social unrest, apocalyptic plagues, etc.  You know .. the things that make people want to hide in the woods. 

ZERT?

Sh*t happens.  Maybe there's a Fukushima event at Oyster Creek in Lacey Twp or Salem Nuclear.  Maybe you're in the blast radius of a potential dirty bomb .  Maybe your wife is about to find out about your girlfriend and love child.  Either way, a $200 BOB may not be a bad insurance investment.  You don't know what you don't know.  Otherwise, shelter in place.

Can't hurt to be prepared. I think two smaller bags might be better than one huge bags. You can split the load with someone or lighten it if you absolutely must.

If the bug out were more .... We're leaving soon... I'd be taking a lot more than what would be in a bug out bag. More like a pick up bed of stuff.

Which stuff?

Weapon, 1000 + rnds, compound bow, arrows, broad heads, knives, solar panels, radio (besides one in truck), a lot of MREs, water, water purification gear, clothing, rain gear, portable shelters, sleeping bags, portable gps, comm radios, standard tools, paper maps, laptop and 4g dongle. Maybe fuel storage containers. Some basic meds including anti biotic and anti virals.

Some of this may mot be useful, but better to have it than not have it.

Another option i happen to have is to fly somewhere. Plane is always fueled and ready to go. About 400 mile range. Problem is limited stuff going along and you have to go somewhere besides an airport once you land. I think a plane option would be more a pre-emptive move, before the SHTF. Because if I thought I'd have to fly somewhere, it would likely be far west of the Mississippi. In some isolated place with enough resources to survive.

My ideal situation though, is not to go solo... Or just my family. I think if larger groups bugged out together, your chances might be far better. Talking a dozen or two people. Can't imagine that would be easy to work out on the fly, but if it were prearranged, it might work. A lot of ways for it to blow up, but larger groups of people would be more prepared to deal with roving criminals. More ability to get work done. More talents on hand.

Lot of variable to think about.

Has someone slipped LSD into the Emergency Survival Kool-Aid Rations? We're leaving on foot from what is arguably the safest place to be (home) carrying a thousand rounds of ammo (think of those full 7.62x54r crates or just your 20-box 9mm order), enough water and rations for the five day march to the air strip,  where we meet up with a couple dozen of our closest friends and sail into the wild blue yonder. And as the aircraft approaches Galt's Gulch...

Hell no.  Like I said, I'm staying put at home as long as possible.  Far more resources and far easier to defend than any shack or tent pitched in the woods.  If you have no choice but to hit the trail on foot, the situation is seriously bad.  I'd only be bringing the things I listed if I was in a vehicle.  ... just thought of another item if you're in a vehicle.  Fix-A-Flat or tire repair kit and a 12v compressor.

Anyway....I wouldn't carry 1000 rounds on foot.  Maybe a couple hundred.  And on foot is a different story altogether.  There would have to be an immediate, overwhelming threat at home base and no motorized transportation at all.

In a situation where 1 individual, is responsible for defending a home and family with small children, defending all entry points of a home would be difficult I think, especially against multiple perpetrators.  Have you all thought about a safe room?  If so, would the recommendation be to wait it out in such a room, or give up the home and resources and flee?  

Has someone slipped LSD into the Emergency Survival Kool-Aid Rations? We're leaving on foot from what is arguably the safest place to be (home) carrying a thousand rounds of ammo (think of those full 7.62x54r crates or just your 20-box 9mm order), enough water and rations for the five day march to the air strip,  where we meet up with a couple dozen of our closest friends and sail into the wild blue yonder. And as the aircraft approaches Galt's Gulch...

doing this only the .22 would make sense. you can carry a few thousand rounds, without much weight from them.....and with a .22, you can get yourself anything else you want......

doing this only the .22 would make sense. you can carry a few thousand rounds, without much weight from them.....and with a .22, you can get yourself anything else you want......

You're probably a lot younger and robust than me but the notion of carrying 6 bricks around isn't too appealing.

• Like 1

As much fun as it is to think about 'bugging out' to the ranch, that's a 1,750 mile drive to west Texas.

More than likely, it ain't gonna happen.

Bugging in is the most likely scenario for me, and likely 99.9% of everyone.

While I do keep a get home bag in vehicles with some items that would be handy to have in an emergency (such as the 2003 blackout in NYC, or a storm of some sort), they aren't designed for a foot march home from NYC, or any sort of cross country survival.

A few food and water sources, a backup battery charger for my cell, maybe a hand held ham radio, seasonal dependent backup clothing items, an IFAK, and a few other things that might make life a little better or more comfortable. Things appropriate for the areas that I travel to for work.

I have no illusions about bugging out.....but I do think about having some handy items along with me when I travel.