MissionaryMike

Bug Out Bag Suggestions

I copied and re-posted this from another thread:

I just finished the LIGHTS OUT book (audio version, narrated by Ted Koppel).

He starts off by essentially explaining how computer hacking via the internet is the 21st Century’s weapon of mass destruction.

This is one of the first books by a respected mainstream journalist to bring this frightening and sobering possibility to the attention of most Americans.

AVB-AMG

What Koppel doesn't mention is that a really expensive bug-out bag can spell the difference between survival and oblivion. 

What Koppel doesn't mention is that a really expensive bug-out bag can spell the difference between survival and oblivion.

After reading his book, I realize that our society/country is so utterly dependent on electricity that without it we will rapidly regress to an early 19th century way of life, as well as see a degeneration of civil, law abiding society. Those of us who survive the first six months, which will not be many, will most likely develop many smaller feudal like communities that have resorted to a more military like lifestyle, that can be defended from roving and raiding MadMax like gangs.

Personal grooming, including bathing, shaving, etc. will be less common and the survivors will have a pronounced strong human odor. It will truly be a survival of the fittest, overcoming the inevitable starvation and disease epidemics that are sure to follow.

I am confident that Newtonian will stand apart from the rest of us with his still pristine bug out bag(s) full of many of the luxuries that we all take for granted now, including toothpaste, mouthwash, as well as bullets and cigarettes for trading and some fine aged Scotch to numb the mind for the long hard road to recovery....

AVB-AMG

After reading his book, I realize that our society/country is so utterly dependent on electricity that without it we will rapidly regress to an early 19th century way of life, as well as see a degeneration of civil, law abiding society. Those of us who survive the first six months, which will not be many, will most likely develop many smaller feudal like communities that have resorted to a more military like lifestyle, that can be defended from roving and raiding MadMax like gangs. Personal grooming, including bathing, shaving, etc. will be less common and the survivors will have a pronounced strong human odor. It will truly be a survival of the fittest, overcoming the inevitable starvation and disease epidemics that are sure to follow. I am confident that Newtonian will stand apart from the rest of us with his still pristine bug out bag(s) full of many of the luxuries that we all take for granted now, including toothpaste, mouthwash, as well as bullets and cigarettes for trading and some fine aged Scotch to numb the mind for the long hard road to recovery.... AVB-AMG

I have several filters that will work with water from the pond behind my house, enough propane to cook about 500 meals, but what we'll cook other than Reduction of Dried Oak Leaves I know not because up here every animal larger than a flea will be harvested within the first week. Including local fish. The only sustainable source of protein would be the Delaware River but it's a schlepp that would run our cars dry after at most 50 trips. I'd probably be shot if I tried fishing upstream of anyone, and in any case I'm the world's worst fisherman.

I like how this thread has turned from the absurd to the practical, but the way that occurred is ironic. The original poster was asking about how much money to waste on a glorified duffle bag when the real problem was the end of the world as we know it. Similarly, today our scumbag imbecilic leaders have determined that a one-inch rise in sea levels in the Maldives, circa 2173, is the greatest threat facing mankind, when simply executed threats that Koppel writes about could wipe 95% of us out in six months.

The entire world runs on bullshit. Despite the occasional cat fights and forays into semi-insanity these forums are a welcome respite. 

I have now finished reading (listening to the audio book versions) of:

- Lights Out: A Cyberattack, a Nation Unprepared, Surviving the Aftermath
by Ted Kopple

- One Second After
by William R. Forstchen

-One Year After: A Novel
by William R. Forstchen

My synopsis:  Very, very sobering and depressing….

The first is a “what if” scenario of the loss of electric power regionally or even nationally, while the last two are fictionalized novels about the aftermath of an electric magnetic pulse (EMP) caused by multiple nuclear warheads being detonated at a high altitude over the continental United States.  All three present a very sobering, logical, feasible and frightening vision of how our fellow Americans would act and react under such circumstances over a period of several days, weeks, months and finally two years later.  It is not an encouraging story line and very alarming due to the realization that such an event not only could happen, but may possibly happen in our life time.

I know I am not alone here in my frustration with how our American society and culture has devolved over the past 30-40 years.  How the choices of our elected leaders have squandered tax payers money and ignored more important and vital issues.  As well as how our elected officials may possibly be aware of many of these important issues of vulnerability and exposure, but choose to ignore them and do nothing constructive. or selfishly just pursue avenues for their own self-interest.  Looking to our government or commercial private industry to take steps to prevent the adverse effects of an EMP attack, is most likely not realistic.  This may sound fatalistic, but I believe that the vast majority of American’s today are clueless about what could happen and may happen and have chosen to be ignorant.  They are just satisfied to spend their free time when not working to be entertained and, like sheep, just pursue short term gratification by partaking in our out-of-control consumer society, wasting their money buying all sorts of unnecessary crap.  That is their choice and because so many citizens are doing that I think we are totally screwed as a superpower and will continue our downward slide.

Relating back to the topic of this thread, I continue to want to take what I consider the prudent measures in case of a localized emergency event, to hunker down at home (in place), if possible, as opposed to bugging out, with supplies and equipment to last for between 2 weeks, possibly up to 4 weeks.  For most anticipated human caused or Mother Nature caused local or regional disasters, this should suffice.  But after that I am not confident at all that we will survive.  I say this due to these concerns:

- Living in suburban NJ, availability of food will become a paramount issue sooner than in other areas.

- This will be followed by the issue of the availability or lack thereof of safe drinking water.

- The density of NJ will mean that those people who run out of either food and/or water will panic and become desperate and will seek both and do horrible terrorizing things to others to obtain them.

- Even with firearms and ammunition, the number of these desperate people will overwhelm most family’s ability to defend what little they have left.

- Most suburbs are not realistically defendable from the onslaught of desperate refuges from the more urban cities and ring towns and will be overrun by these people.  Desperate former urbanites will become the real zombies attacking others, first in the suburbs and then in the more rural areas.

AVB-AMG

I have now finished reading (listening to the audio book versions) of:

- Lights Out: A Cyberattack, a Nation Unprepared, Surviving the Aftermath

by Ted Kopple

- One Second After

by William R. Forstchen

-One Year After: A Novel

by William R. Forstchen

My synopsis:  Very, very sobering and depressing….

The first is a “what if” scenario of the loss of electric power regionally or even nationally, while the last two are fictionalized novels about the aftermath of an electric magnetic pulse (EMP) caused by multiple nuclear warheads being detonated at a high altitude over the continental United States.  All three present a very sobering, logical, feasible and frightening vision of how our fellow Americans would act and react under such circumstances over a period of several days, weeks, months and finally two years later.  It is not an encouraging story line and very alarming due to the realization that such an event not only could happen, but may possibly happen in our life time.

I know I am not alone here in my frustration with how our American society and culture has devolved over the past 30-40 years.  How the choices of our elected leaders have squandered tax payers money and ignored more important and vital issues.  As well as how our elected officials may possibly be aware of many of these important issues of vulnerability and exposure, but choose to ignore them and do nothing constructive. or selfishly just pursue avenues for their own self-interest.  Looking to our government or commercial private industry to take steps to prevent the adverse effects of an EMP attack, is most likely not realistic.  This may sound fatalistic, but I believe that the vast majority of American’s today are clueless about what could happen and may happen and have chosen to be ignorant.  They are just satisfied to spend their free time when not working to be entertained and, like sheep, just pursue short term gratification by partaking in our out-of-control consumer society, wasting their money buying all sorts of unnecessary crap.  That is their choice and because so many citizens are doing that I think we are totally screwed as a superpower and will continue our downward slide.

Relating back to the topic of this thread, I continue to want to take what I consider the prudent measures in case of a localized emergency event, to hunker down at home (in place), if possible, as opposed to bugging out, with supplies and equipment to last for between 2 weeks, possibly up to 4 weeks.  For most anticipated human caused or Mother Nature caused local or regional disasters, this should suffice.  But after that I am not confident at all that we will survive.  I say this due to these concerns:

- Living in suburban NJ, availability of food will become a paramount issue sooner than in other areas.

- This will be followed by the issue of the availability or lack thereof of safe drinking water.

- The density of NJ will mean that those people who run out of either food and/or water will panic and become desperate and will seek both and do horrible terrorizing things to others to obtain them.

- Even with firearms and ammunition, the number of these desperate people will overwhelm most family’s ability to defend what little they have left.

- Most suburbs are not realistically defendable from the onslaught of desperate refuges from the more urban cities and ring towns and will be overrun by these people.  Desperate former urbanites will become the real zombies attacking others, first in the suburbs and then in the more rural areas.

AVB-AMG

Well put. One of my favorite commentators, Mark Steyn, has written that had we squandered the last $10 trillion on our infrastructure, protecting our cities from floods, or hardening the electrical grid at least we could point with pride to some accomplishment. Instead we've beefed up the Dept. of Harassment of Individuals whose Properties are Inundated with Errant Rain Waters, just in case some hapless snake should perish.

I recently finished One Year After by Mr Forstchen after having read One Second After a few years back. 

While I believe that these scenarios are reasonably fleshed out for rural areas, I don't think anyone can truly get a handle on what happens when 10s of millions of people in a small area suddenly go hungry, thirsty and homeless.  The only advice I can even point to that is solid for a place like NYC is  "FLEE!".  

NYCs water, up to about 6 floors is gravity fed so pretty much every building will still have some water, even if higher appts won't.  Those places over 6 floors will suddenly become uninhabitable even if you are willing or able to climb 80 floors to go home.    This will reduce the available housing by about 90%.   So even if there are food handouts, there's going to be a lot of homeless looking for somewhere else to go. 

There will be feral ghouls everywhere.  Oh, wait, I'm playing Fallout 4 right now, so that's not it.   There will be Raiders everywhere(darn, Fallout 4 again).  Ok, there will be a bunch of desperate people who are used to having everything given to them, who will no longer have the option of swiping a card and eating.   They will immediately look elsewhere.    If you are there, you are elsewhere.   Advice: Don't be there.

I don't have any idea how many people are going to start dying within 4 weeks of an EMP scenario, but I can say for certain, that percentage-wise, the number will be higher for cities.   So GET OUT.

Now, shelter in place or flee?   Depends on where you are.  If a major NYC  bridge or tunnel artery empties out a mile from your neighborhood, have a plan to be gone when the masses start migrating.   Stay as long as you can at home but you need to be at least 30 miles from there to have any chance at survival.   If your plan is to go to the woods and live off the land, you're going to freeze and starve to death pretty quickly, so you'd be better off staying at home, fighting off ferals.   If you've got a relative or other house you can go to that is more remote, that's your only choice.

All of the above said...I don't think we'll get there.  I don't think such a dire circumstance will occur.  Any country that does such a thing knows it will get nuked and any stateless actor like ISIS can't pull it off.  The Ayatollahs are nuts, but they aren't crazy.

They will immediately look elsewhere.   

Interestingly, I think that is wrong. I think a lot of city dwellers will die in place or prey on each other in a long term disaster.  Historically that's what happens even in wars, famines, etc, people gather in places where some form services and be centralized. Any aid will be focused on high population areas (for multiple valid reasons), and those areas will also have lots of people to steal from each other. T

The whole golden hoard thing doesn't sound right to me at all, the raider/ghouls/deathclaws/whatever are not good at living off the land, they would be exposed in territories they don't control and don't know, and will be out of gas long before they decide to leave the cities.

I think in any non-fantasy scenario's suburbia and low population areas will be a lot safer then people give it credit for. 

Interestingly, I think that is wrong. I think a lot of city dwellers will die in place or prey on each other in a long term disaster.  Historically that's what happens even in wars, famines, etc, people gather in places where some form services and be centralized. Any aid will be focused on high population areas (for multiple valid reasons), and those areas will also have lots of people to steal from each other. T

The whole golden hoard thing doesn't sound right to me at all, the raider/ghouls/deathclaws/whatever are not good at living off the land, they would be exposed in territories they don't control and don't know, and will be out of gas long before they decide to leave the cities.

I think in any non-fantasy scenario's suburbia and low population areas will be a lot safer then people give it credit for. 

If there is a government operating, actively supplying food, water and shelter, I agree.  Those places will be magnet zones.   If there is NOTHING, the most fit among them will move out.  There is a certain number of people who just aren't mobile and those people won't move.  Old, infirm or just plain stubborn.   Young bucks used to strong arming their way through life?  They're going to be actively pushing out, trying to eat.

NYC will probably lose 50% of its population in the first month, 80% after two months. Frankly those numbers are probably conservative. There will be noplace to escape to because everybody will run out of food within a week or two. Fort Lee? Haha. You'll be able to get your nails done but all the KimChee will be gone.

Even the suburbs...your freezer food has spoiled, you are drinking water from the pond in the park down the street, everyone in your house (including nearby-dwelling relatives who now live with you) have diarrhea and are starving. Parsippany will be marginally better than SoHo, but only because fewer residents are likely to slice you open and eat your liver. 

Even the country -- yikes. As things go now I couldn't see my family surviving more than 2-3 months. 

Eventually we'll reach a steady state where the rare individuals who have fully prepared are able to over-winter until existing fish and game slowly replenish. Even then, hard to believe any natural sources of nutrition would persist in numbers sufficient to reproduce and support more than ten or twenty people per square mile. 

Does anyone know the population density of what is now continental U.S. back in the 1400s? That would give you a clue, more or less, as to what levels of human population would be supportable. We have the advantage of guns, but they were wiser in the ways of survival and much more rugged.

Even the suburbs...your freezer food has spoiled, you are drinking water from the pond in the park down the street, everyone in your house (including nearby-dwelling relatives who now live with you) have diarrhea and are starving.

Get yourself some freeze-dried food and some water filters so your family will at least have food and clean water for awhile.  They won't last through an apocalyptic EOTWAWKI situation, but you could get by for a few months in the event of a major emergency.  

If there is a government operating, actively supplying food, water and shelter, I agree.

There is always a government. It's form might be unusual, might not use the same laws you and I are accustomed to, where ever there are humans, there is some for of government, it is one of our biggest failings.

There is always a government. It's form might be unusual, might not use the same laws you and I are accustomed to, where ever there are humans, there is some for of government, it is one of our biggest failings.

I agree totally.  I've said as much on this forum multiple times.   There will always be a government, even if it is gangs in pickups who enforce their version of law.  My point was that if they are actually providing resources, it will draw people out of the woodwork.

If there is a government operating, actively supplying food, water and shelter, I agree.  Those places will be magnet zones.   If there is NOTHING, the most fit among them will move out.  There is a certain number of people who just aren't mobile and those people won't move.  Old, infirm or just plain stubborn.   Young bucks used to strong arming their way through life?  They're going to be actively pushing out, trying to eat.

There will be plenty of shelter because families will die in droves.

But where will the government get the food and water from? How will they deliver it? After a couple of weeks who will still have gasoline in their cars? How will they know where to go for this imaginary food, water, and shelter? Remember the radio stations will go dead too.

You should be careful when you use fiction work as a fact.  It makes for great fiction to assume that EMP kills everything which moves electrons on a wire, but it isn't likely, it justs sets up a interesting scenario. In practice, lots of things are shielded, can be powered from generators, etc. 

The notion that governments stop existing in a major emergency is also fiction. Sure, there may be lawlessness at both ends of the population density spectrum, spotty communications, etc, and I certainly wouldn't advise to depend on governments effectiveness under the circumstances but the assumption that 2000 years worth of agriculture suddenly stops working is also foolish. 

The world function before electricity, the world function before just in time shipping, etc. Oh sure, things would be rough and lots of people might die, but the end of the world is not quite as likely as people would like to make it sound. 

Another interesting book I've read (actually re-read) recently is Last Centurion which looks at a world wide collapse due to an epidemic, but with a different bend in mentality. Heck it even assumes Hillary is President when it happens :)

You should be careful when you use fiction work as a fact.  It makes for great fiction to assume that EMP kills everything which moves electrons on a wire, but it isn't likely, it justs sets up a interesting scenario. In practice, lots of things are shielded, can be powered from generators, etc. 

The notion that governments stop existing in a major emergency is also fiction. Sure, there may be lawlessness at both ends of the population density spectrum, spotty communications, etc, and I certainly wouldn't advise to depend on governments effectiveness under the circumstances but the assumption that 2000 years worth of agriculture suddenly stops working is also foolish. 

The world function before electricity, the world function before just in time shipping, etc. Oh sure, things would be rough and lots of people might die, but the end of the world is not quite as likely as people would like to make it sound. 

Another interesting book I've read (actually re-read) recently is Last Centurion which looks at a world wide collapse due to an epidemic, but with a different bend in mentality. Heck it even assumes Hillary is President when it happens :)

John Ringo is probably my favorite author.   Last Centurion is a great book.

I'll re-iterate.  I agree there will always be some kind of government and that Anarchy would only happen under a Captain Tripps or saturation nuking type of scenario.  In a "vanilla" economic collapse the country will start to look like any third world country and I've been in a few.   Honduras comes to mind, as I spent months of time there over a dozen or so trips.  There is a government, it exists "out there" so to speak, but in the day to day running of a towns, it's locals who do the work.   In the big cities, government is everywhere.  In the smaller cities, there's a few guys with a pickup truck and a telephone.  In the villages, there's nothing and if something happens, the town comes together and fixes it or doesn't and waits some times several days for a governmental response.

Most of us tend to underestimate human will to exist and continue.  If you plan (and lucky to get out) properly, stay out of sight, dont show off, you and your family can live more than few years. 

I have seen family of four (example) live on a couple of goats, few chicken and a hut.  Everyone will be bitching, moaning, complaining, skinny, etc, but they live longer than one generally estimates.  I have also seen half of the family walking 4 hours each way to get a pot of drinking water, day in day out. And they lived all their life like that (unfortunately)

Yes the world functioned without electricity. Food came from down the road, families were self-sufficient or relied on local sources for most supplies. There were also just 75 million people in all of North America, but they were hard-wired towards local supplies. 

Everything we do today with regard to survival relies on electricity. Our food comes from hundreds or thousands of miles away. Almost nobody grows their own food nowadays. 

How would the government govern when they had no means of communicating? After the oil in their vehicles is exhausted and they can't access any more because the electric motors that drive the pumps don't work? How do you get water above the 4th floor, or treat reservoir water to make it safe? Everybody get your shovel out and dig a well!

A silly water main break in Hoboken last month paralyzed that town and lower Jersey City for about a week. 

Why would believe the government has no way to communicate? If this is because the all might magic god of EMP, a lot of military equipment is hardened against that. Also a lot of civilian stuff is protected through magic of fuses. 

This notion that there some form of EMP that kills everything is really more far fetched then a lot of other "scenarios". 

Since I'm stationed in Guam right now, I thought it may be wise to put together a "Go" bag.  It's constantly evolving, but I do believe I have a working one.  We don't have the riots that CONUS states currently have, but there is a little bit of unrest from the locals regarding the military.  They're upset because if it weren't for us being here, North Korea wouldn't want to target the island.  They also seem to forget that if we weren't here, some other less forgiving nation would likely have placed themselves here.  That's a different discussion for a different time though.  The island is also host to frequent tropical storms, and power outages.  I made a bag that was not specifically for any one thing, but an overall situation where something happens that normal day-to-day services or living amenities are no longer available.  This is more of a 72 hour bag than a BOB, as the Navy base is ~3 miles away.

I'm using a 5.11 COVRT 18 backpack, as it is small enough to not be a hassle to carry, but would still be comfortable enough to haul over several miles, all while remaining relatively inconspicuous.

Inside:

• 4 liters of water
  • Sawyer mini water filter
  • 12 Clif bars
  • First aid kit, tourniquet, Quikclot, splints
  • 8'x6' tarp
  • 100' paracord, various clips
  • Hygiene (travel size): toothbrush, toothpaste, body wash, hand sanitizer
  • Surefire 6PX, extra batteries
  • Multitool
  • Fixed blade Gerber Strongarm
  • 10" Kershaw camp knife
  • Knife sharpener
  • Chemlights
  • Fire starters, lighter
  • 2 disposable ponchos
  • Emergency blanket
  • Mechanix gloves
  • Pen, sharpie, notepad
  • Extra pair of underwear and socks
  • 100rds of 9mm
  • 200rds of .22lr

I have been trying to find a balance of things that might be needed in any situation, but keep the bag as light as possible to remain relatively mobile.

While I think that the discussion regarding whether a bag like this is necessary or not is interesting, I think it should be held in another place.  I put this bag together with little investment, as I already possessed most of the items in the bag.  I recognize that it's much better to hunker down at home, and my home is quite a bit more secure than most given that I have metal storm shutters and an entirely concrete exterior.  However I wanted it all in one location that I could grab and go if the situation dictated.

Hoping to revive an interesting topic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vjf915 said:

Since I'm stationed in Guam right now, I thought it may be wise to put together a "Go" bag.  It's constantly evolving, but I do believe I have a working one.  We don't have the riots that CONUS states currently have, but there is a little bit of unrest from the locals regarding the military.  They're upset because if it weren't for us being here, North Korea wouldn't want to target the island.  They also seem to forget that if we weren't here, some other less forgiving nation would likely have placed themselves here.  That's a different discussion for a different time though.  The island is also host to frequent tropical storms, and power outages.  I made a bag that was not specifically for any one thing, but an overall situation where something happens that normal day-to-day services or living amenities are no longer available.  This is more of a 72 hour bag than a BOB, as the Navy base is ~3 miles away.

Hoping to revive an interesting topic.

I would throw in a couple packs of IOSAT pills (http://www.anbex.com/)

They weigh practically nothing and have a long shelf life.  You would hope the chances of having to use them are close to zero, but these are interesting times...

1 hour ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

I would throw in a couple packs of IOSAT pills (http://www.anbex.com/)

They weigh practically nothing and have a long shelf life.  You would hope the chances of having to use them are close to zero, but these are interesting times...

If anything were to happen, those would be distributed by my command.  We run reactor accident drills at least once a year.  Same thing.

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

Toilet paper 

Be safe Victor, hit me up when your free.  

@vjf915

That's a good idea.  Will do man, I have a little less than a year left.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vjf915 said:

I'm using a 5.11 COVRT 18 backpack, as it is small enough to not be a hassle to carry, but would still be comfortable enough to haul over several miles, all while remaining relatively inconspicuous.

I was wondering where you've been!  I use a COVRT 18 as my Every Day bag - it's awesome.

Maybe add a Lifestraw to the list?  I'm not sure what the water situation is like on the island...  Also possibly a Fishing kit?  

I've looked at the Liftstraws as well, because I wanted something smaller as the need for one is pretty minimal given my location.  That being said, I chose the Sawyer Mini because it seemed like it would be easier to send water to one of my Nalgene bottles or the water bladder.  It also comes with a straw attachment, so that you can drink directly from the source, although it does take up a little bit more room.

I may take a look at adding some light fishing gear once I get off this God-forsaken island, depending on where I move to.  But again, with the base so close, and the amount of time I spend out at sea, the chances of me needing to use this pack are even less than those in the states.

Although I agree that discretion is some of the best security you can buy, not many people here are advertising where they live.  If you want to fly out to Guam to steal my Go bag, go for it.  I've already had two vehicle break-ins, and one attempted house break-in out here.  I'm ready for someone to try and steal my shit.

Also, sharing what you think is important enough to pack is good for others to see, as they may have overlooked certain areas.