MissionaryMike

Bug Out Bag Suggestions

I thought it would be obvious, but zombies are a metaphor. Look it up.

Old Glock Guy:

I guess I am not that hip....

I have never watched the TV series THE WALKING DEAD, let alone any of the many zombie movies.

But as a metaphor, I guess zombies could be assumed to represent humanity at its lowest state, at a post (or pre) apocalypse world. In a traumatic existence where people are desperately trying to survive that would accentuate the basic question that we face today: Do we decide to just look out for ourselves and family based on survivalist fear and paranoia or do we have a more compassionate attitude of working with and helping others to achieve a shared goal.

(Sort of like the current polarized political divide in this country.....)

AVB-AMG

I really hope nobody believes in zombies

Try working in Trenton. At night. And you will see the real Zombieland. All kinds of creatures come out at night. It is like the Twilight Zone. There is a reason most businesses close shop around 4pm when the State/County workers are heading home.

Here is what I have:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/BAG-186?td_source=search

Southerners tried to give warning, but people would not listen. I often say that yankees up in places like Maine or Vermont would change their liberal ways and voting patterns real quck if they spent some time in "more diverse" areas.

Sadly, at one time VT, ME, NH were conservative bastions. Then they got polluted by folks from Massachusetts. 

My friend liberals never learn, never. If they move to Camden or Trenton and get the crap kicked out of them they'll blame themselves. I have a relative, a town prosecutor, who lives two minutes from the hellholes of Essex County. To her no matter what they do it's never their fault, it's ours. 

BTW I like your avatar.

Dang they dont learn? With white liberals even? When I was in college I saw many that as soon as they did clinicals and things in Birmingham alabama and saw the depravity that liberal policies create many became hard core conservatives. A couple even joined campus conservatives.

Yours is cool too.

You know forrest kept much of alabama from burning by the yanks.

I think with all this crap going on the southern boys and patriotic yanks who believe in the constitution are going to be on the same side.

Those people who changed were not liberals. They were intelligent people open to discovery and learning, temporarily on the wrong side. Like me before age 30. By definition a liberal or "progressive" is incapable of learning. They're so invested in their ideology that nothing else matters. Not blood, not facts, nothing. 

BTW there are lots of us up here, lots of us. After three months of waiting I just acquired a beautiful, all-cotton, hand-sewn flag. Take three guesses which flag it is, and which one it is replacing in my attic office. No need to be explicit, just wink.

Those people who changed were not liberals. They were intelligent people open to discovery and learning, temporarily on the wrong side. Like me before age 30. By definition a liberal or "progressive" is incapable of learning. They're so invested in their ideology that nothing else matters. Not blood, not facts, nothing. 

It's called mental illness. Liberalism is a mental disorder

just remember. we live on an island. if one were planning to bug out, one would need at minimum a full 24 hours lead time to beat the mass exodus that will clog the roads, and to beat the bridge closures.

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!

tumblr_lnfmwz0gbq1qgllay.gif

just remember. we live on an island. if one were planning to bug out, one would need at minimum a full 24 hours lead time to beat the mass exodus that will clog the roads, and to beat the bridge closures.

Why does everyone keep saying that?  Am I missing something?  That may be true from south Jersey, but from up here in north Jersey, 

I could head north on highways or secondary roads into NY state and all the way on up to Canada (not that I would ever want to settle there).

Of course, if I went that way, I could only bring 10 round mags.

Why does everyone keep saying that?  Am I missing something?  That may be true from south Jersey, but from up here in north Jersey, 

I could head north on highways or secondary roads into NY state and all the way on up to Canada (not that I would ever want to settle there).

Of course, if I went that way, I could only bring 10 round mags.

there's a way up there without crossing a bridge? or using a tunnel? even when i've gone to conn. to visit an ex's parents, when i went to westpoint for cap business........i never got out of nj without using bridges.

even so.........you will find the roads clogged should you get too late of a start...........that's kinda been my whole point whenever i say that stuff. home is defendable. car is not.

there's a way up there without crossing a bridge? or using a tunnel? even when i've gone to conn. to visit an ex's parents, when i went to westpoint for cap business........i never got out of nj without using bridges.

even so.........you will find the roads clogged should you get too late of a start...........that's kinda been my whole point whenever i say that stuff. home is defendable. car is not.

I know you're joking,or just remembering wrong. NJ's northern border is a 50 mile straight line across land with NY from the Hudson river to the Del river.No bridges/tunnels to NY state. Into PA or NYC yes. I am only 10 mins from the line but given that Brgn cnty is the most heavily populated NJ cnty and NJ is the most densely populated state- a mass exodus= mass chaos. Example, back in the 60's with the Woodstock Concert in NYS the main roads mostly RT 17 & the NY thruway were backed up to NJ. Aint got any better since then! So unless you can pack your family and belongings on a big dirt bike  you're not getting far in a car.Early start, late start, I doubt it will make a difference. Best option- big fast boat!

I totally agree with you there.  And unless I had  a fully stocked cabin somewhere (I don't, and even if I did, I wouldn't tell anyone) , I can't even begin to imagine a scenario where I would do  better leaving for parts unknown than I would staying put and sheltering in place.  

I know you're joking,or just remembering wrong. NJ's northern border is a 50 mile straight line across land with NY from the Hudson river to the Del river.No bridges/tunnels to NY state. Into PA or NYC yes. I am only 10 mins from the line but given that Brgn cnty is the most heavily populated NJ cnty and NJ is the most densely populated state- a mass exodus= mass chaos. Example, back in the 60's with the Woodstock Concert in NYS the main roads mostly RT 17 & the NY thruway were backed up to NJ. Aint got any better since then! So unless you can pack your family and belongings on a big dirt bike  you're not getting far in a car.Early start, late start, I doubt it will make a difference. Best option- big fast boat!

i'm probably remembering wrong, and going off of what i know from down here. i don't think i've ever left dirty jersey without crossing a bridge or going through a tunnel.

either way....like you said reinforced above.......roads will be clogged. unless the state's sinking/flooding, or falling off of the country, best bet(in my opinion, and only initially) is to stay put. shelter in your home. it's familiar territory that you know better than anyone else. it is defendable. once you're in your car/truck, virtually the only defense is to keep moving at high speed. which will be impossible.

I totally agree with you there.  And unless I had  a fully stocked cabin somewhere (I don't, and even if I did, I wouldn't tell anyone) , I can't even begin to imagine a scenario where I would do  better leaving for parts unknown than I would staying put and sheltering in place.  

yep. i have a standing offer from my ex-wife. she's told me multiple times that if the shit hits, to load up my guns, ammo, and mom(if she's up here with me when it happens) and get the f$^% up to her place. she's on 73 acres in upper pa. problem with that is it'd hafta be something we see coming a week or two out, while the sheep are still sleeping.......

The only situation I can think of is a natural disaster or potential disaster that was forecast 3-4 days ahead, and you're in harm's way. Staten Island and Hurricane Sandy, for example. You pack your bags and go somewhere -- to your uncle's, ex-wife's, to a motel, or to your summer home ("fully stocked cabin") -- until it blows over. In the old days they called it "packing" and "going away for a few days."

Civil chaos is extremely dicey. Life and death decisions. People in cities will be in trouble. But with the roads clogged the outskirts of the state afford a geographic barrier of sorts. Why would you risk driving from Sussex County to Sullivan Cty., NY? The more attractive the bug out location the more likely your neighbors will be unemployed drug addicts who will go nuts when their oxycontin runs out.

The only situation I can think of is a natural disaster or potential disaster that was forecast 3-4 days ahead, and you're in harm's way. Staten Island and Hurricane Sandy, for example. You pack your bags and go somewhere -- to your uncle's, ex-wife's, to a motel, or to your summer home ("fully stocked cabin") -- until it blows over. In the old days they called it "packing" and "going away for a few days."

Civil chaos is extremely dicey. Life and death decisions. People in cities will be in trouble. But with the roads clogged the outskirts of the state afford a geographic barrier of sorts. Why would you risk driving from Sussex County to Sullivan Cty., NY? The more attractive the bug out location the more likely your neighbors will be unemployed drug addicts who will go nuts when their oxycontin runs out.

remember when irene was supposed to be a direct hit on cape may? i drove into cape may to remove cap assets from the airport. the gas stations looked like 1979 all over again. the traffic to get out was miles and miles of traffic jam. this was 2 or 3 days before the storm.

Germaine to this topic is a recently published book by the former ABC Anchor/Reporter Ted Koppel, who many of us watched regularly, and respected as the host of ABC’s Nightline, starting back in the early 1980’s. His new book is titled:

Lights Out: A Cyberattack, a Nation Unprepared, Surviving the Aftermath

His premise is that not only is a major hacker attack on the US power grid possible, but is highly likely and would cause massive devastation and death. He explains how our country both in the public sector and in the private sector, is shockingly unprepared, something that most NJGF members already understand and would agree with. It should scare most people to demand that electric companies and the government at all levels, should undertake the necessary safeguards to prevent or at least limit the massive destruction this type of cyber attack would cause regionally and nationally.

I purchased the book and have just started reading it….

AVB-AMG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Germaine to this topic is a recently published book by the former ABC Anchor/Reporter Ted Koppel, who many of us watched regularly, and respected as the host of ABC’s Nightline, starting back in the early 1980’s. His new book is titled: Lights Out: A Cyberattack, a Nation Unprepared, Surviving the Aftermath His premiss is that not only is a major hacker attack on the US power grid possible, but is highly likely and would cause massive devastation and death. He explains how our country both in the public sector and in the private sector, is shockingly unprepared, something that most NJGF members already understand and would agree with. It should scare most people to demand that electric companies and the government at all levels, should undertake the necessary safeguards to prevent or at least limit the massive destruction this type of cyber attack would cause regionally and nationally. I purchased the book and have just started reading it…. AVB-AMG Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A bad cyber-attack or electromagnetic pulse attack could kill tens of millions of us. Yet we keep throwing good money after bad, to the tune of $19 trillion. Had the $10-15 in additional debt accumulated during the past two disastrous national administrations been spent on hardening and upgrading the electric grid, and attack-proofing our IT infrastructure, at least we would have had something for the money. Instead, the fantasy that "global warming is our single greatest threat." 

Our politicians know they cannot be elected by proposing to swap outmoded grid components for safer, more modern equipment that would save tens of billions of dollars worth of energy per year. And that, friends, is 100% our fault.

Now pardon me while I go stuff my Gucci bug-out bag with energy bars. 

I just finished the LIGHTS OUT book (audio version, narrated by Ted Koppel).

He starts off by essentially explaining how computer hacking via the internet is the 21st Century’s weapon of mass destruction.  He goes on to describe a hypothetical scenario where a knowledgeable computer hacker, whether an individual with malicious intent, or part of a state regime that is intent on inflicting severe damage to the US, (such as N. Korea, Iran or ISIS), could hack into key elements, (custom transformers), of our electrical grid and cause tactical damage that could then trigger a domino effect of damage and destruction.  The resulting damage could take anywhere from 6 months to 2+ years to repair with new replacement transformers needing to be manufactured, shipped and installed.  In the ensuing darkened landscape, most people would abandon civil law and order and our society would degenerate very quickly to the survival of the fittest, (those who already have and/or are able to obtain water and food).  The weak, elderly and urban dwellers would be the first to die…). 

His excellent journalistic process of interviews, research and tenacity has revealed that once again, even with wake up calls in the form of the blackout in the northeast back in 2003, followed by Hurricane Katrina, followed by Super Storm Sandy, the vast majority of our States have no contingency plans to deal with a major regional, let alone national interruption of the electrical grid. This should be a wake up call to all of us to not rely on any outside assistance and do what we can reasonably do to prepare ourselves and families with enough water and food to last at least 2-3 weeks and ideally around 6 or more months.  Unfortunately, most Americans will not do this for all sorts of valid, as well as lazy reasons.

The federal government is not prepared for this type of widespread disaster.  Our Federal and State Governments are going to be reactive instead of being proactive for this type of situation. The appointed Dept. heads assume that FEMA can handle it, even though there is NO PLAN to do so....  Essentially, and what I find quite ironic, Koppel’s prediction that it will be the Mormons out west in Utah, as well as in other areas, that will most likely fair the best if the power goes out, since they have been preparing for a sustained self-sufficiency via a very disciplined approach required by all practitioners of their religion. The rest of us are screwed....

After reading his book, I realize that our society/country is so utterly dependent on electricity that without it we will rapidly regress to an early 19th century way of life, as well as see a degeneration of civil, law abiding society. Those of us who survive the first six months, which will not be many, will most likely develop many smaller feudal like communities that have resorted to a more military like lifestyle, that can be defended from roving and raiding MadMax like gangs.  It will truly be a survival of the fittest, overcoming the inevitable starvation and disease epidemics that are sure to follow.

This is one of the first books by a respected mainstream journalist to bring this frightening and sobering possibility to the attention of most Americans.

AVB-AMG

I think I'm going to have to read that book, although I'm doubtful that it will tell me anything I don't already know.  I guess one of the good things about preparedness going mainstream is that the more people that have supplies on hand for an emergency, the less panic there is likely to be.

But here again, I think sheltering in place is going to be far more viable than grabbing my well-equipped BOB and heading off to parts unknown.

I think I'm going to have to read that book, although I'm doubtful that it will tell me anything I don't already know. I guess one of the good things about preparedness going mainstream is that the more people that have supplies on hand for an emergency, the less panic there is likely to be.

But here again, I think sheltering in place is going to be far more viable than grabbing my well-equipped BOB and heading off to parts unknown.

Old Glock Guy:

I agree with you... But acquiring the necessary items for a bug out bag(s), at the very least, puts them in a location that you can find them if and when you really need them.

I think I'm going to have to read that book, although I'm doubtful that it will tell me anything I don't already know.  I guess one of the good things about preparedness going mainstream is that the more people that have supplies on hand for an emergency, the less panic there is likely to be.

Depends on the challenge.

Also, you need a plan for when you are at work and at relative's houses. Places you are likely to spend time. And can't make it home or have to go somewhere else. A smaller BOB in the trunk helps with this.

Remember to dress warm in the winter. Wool or double socks, long johns and thermal tshirt. Have a coat in the car with gloves permanently stored in it. When you leave the house on a day it's going to get below freezing at night, assume you will lose your car, your phone, and all modern conveniences.