MissionaryMike

Bug Out Bag Suggestions

Newtonian, isn't that exactly the kind of situation from which one would want to escape?  I totally agree with you that if by "bugging out" we are talking about heading out to the wilderness to become a hunter and gatherer for an indeterminate length of time, then most of us would be screwed.

Rather, I think the purpose of a bug out bag is to be able to escape from an emergency situation similar to what you have described above.  

I agree.

Thanks to pure luck I'm in a situation where I'll never need to have an actual "bag," and I'd never buy one for $200 unless it's a knock off of a famous designer's.

100% of my preparation is in our cars and on shelves in our basement. I realize my situation is different than most folks'.

Thanks to the previous owner of this house we are set for electricity. When our neighbors were dark during the last big storm I was fully up. In fact we strung up two extension cords so they could run their fridge next door. Nothing to do with solar panels, which we have. Been meaning to get some sort of storage system for that but I hear they're extremely expensive.

Floods? Absolutely impossible where I live. Riots? We don't have enough "rioters" up here to assemble a basketball team, much less burn down the town. But if that happened it would start around the lowest-lying areas of Greater Newtonia. There would be serious attrition in their ranks as they made their way up High St.

I just don't see where I'll ever need to get anywhere on foot, what the circumstances might be, or where that trip would originate from.

Right.  It's highly unlikely anyone of us would ever need to bug out.  But the OPs question was ....What bag would you have and what what would you have in it?    A sorta hypothetical question.  Not an affirmation that this is something we must be ready for. So yeah, I agree this is probably not at the top of the list of what we need to prepare for, but it's interesting to consider what you might need.  And probably doesn't hurt to have most of those things on hand, since, even if you hunkered down at home, you'd probably need a lot of it anyway.... except for the $200 bag...

And I can't believe no one mentioned golf clubs.   Nice weapons and getting a walk on tee time when the SHTF should be no problem whatsoever....

re gas level in your vehicle.........half tank mark should be your "empty" mark.

not trying to be a wise ass.

You are not being a wise ass. I have been saying that for 25 years.

The humiliation is worse because I knew better. Bad things tend to happen just before that thing you didn't let you dentist take care of pops up, or the one day you don't fill your tank because you just worked 15 hours, when you didn't replace your water because you are going home tonight anyway, and often when you are looking in the wrong direction. And they happen fast.

If none of that was true, a lot less bad things would happen.

re gas level in your vehicle.........half tank mark should be your "empty" mark.

not trying to be a wise ass.

No, no, no Cap., say it ain't so. You enjoy gas stops? Do you turn off the main valve on your gas grill? Use the term "detail" in reference to a clean automobile? Shine your shoes? Thoroughly clean a new gun (which I'm about to do, but most reluctantly)? How many Liza Minelli albums do you own? 

No, no, no Cap., say it ain't so. You enjoy gas stops? Do you turn off the main valve on your gas grill? Use the term "detail" in reference to a clean automobile? Shine your shoes? Thoroughly clean a new gun (which I'm about to do, but most reluctantly)? How many Liza Minelli albums do you own? 

no liza minelli...but plenty of johnny cash, some beatles, some abba(don't laugh dammit!), and even a jeany c reily album. oh yea.......monkees too.

i don't own a gas grille. my truck's dirty. my mustang's spotless. i don't wear shoes that might need shining. i keep my guns clean as my time allows.

topping up at the halfway mark, once you're into that routine, is just the same as topping off from the empty mark. 'cept that if a bad storm comes through, and kills electric, and you can't get gas outta the ground.......i still got a weeks worth of gas. :)

no liza minelli...but plenty of johnny cash, some beatles, some abba(don't laugh dammit!), and even a jeany c reily album. oh yea.......monkees too.

i don't own a gas grille. my truck's dirty. my mustang's spotless. i don't wear shoes that might need shining. i keep my guns clean as my time allows.

topping up at the halfway mark, once you're into that routine, is just the same as topping off from the empty mark. 'cept that if a bad storm comes through, and kills electric, and you can't get gas outta the ground.......i still got a weeks worth of gas. :)

Just between you and me, I also like Abba when I am in the mood for oldies! Kinda played out though! I can't stand country music except for some of the old standards. I have a gas grill and a dirty Infinity G37! I also

wear shoes that need shining, wear a suit everyday and don't have a truck. I clean my guns every time I use them, I make the time for it! We have an awful lot in common don't we? I am the service manager for a copier company so I need to dress nice so my technicians will follow my lead. So far, for the last 15 years it has not worked!!!

Thanks for the reminder of keeping the cars full! Such a simple common sense thing, yet my wife fills to 1/2 tank, waits for the "E" then puts in another 20 bucks! I don't pay for my gas, my company does, yet I wait until I am running on fumes then fill up with super! I am also the guy who has 30 gallons plus in my shed at all times for my generator and rotates it out in my wife's Nissan every 2 months since regular gas ain't going in my G37!!!

We have both pledged to keep a full tank at all times! Let's see how long that lasts!!!

Your friendly CSX freight train derails and spills chlorine gas causing a toxic death cloud. It's headed your way based on the winds. You are told to evacuate....Now. My ass you don't need a go/bug out/gtfo bag.

Your friendly CSX freight train derails and spills chlorine gas causing a toxic death cloud. It's headed your way based on the winds. You are told to evacuate....Now. My ass you don't need a go/bug out/gtfo bag.

As shared previously: Posted Image that is a "72hr" type bag situation, not a never coming back home, SHTF, end of the world as we know it situation

You need a small mobile bag which should be in your car because you sure as hell are not going to outrun a chlorine cloud on foot. Lets face it, you don't even need a bag, you need a credit card because the second you leave the 5mile area affected you are back in "civilization".

hhmm....good point. what kind of protective clothing would be necessary for that? and will the standard riot mask filters filter that?

I'm not saying your bag has to be filled with gas masks, camping gear and firearms. It might be changes of clothes, medications, cash, and important documents. I'm in the camp for staying at home base. I would like to put together a get home bag. Anyone who commutes to NYP should have one.

I agree that it's a far more likely scenario. I have a couple of bug out bags packed, but part of me feels it's a waste of a lot of good, expensive gear.

If it comes to having to bug out then we will load up our all-wheel drive SUV with our "bug out luggage", (4 pre-packed Blackhawks bags containing most of the items previously discussed by other posters), along with a list of other important and easily accessible items including cash, water, gasoline, firearms, ammo and the really good Scotch.

AVB-AMG

Forest fires if you live near wooded areas or even just a house fire, flooding if you live in low areas, chemical spills if you live near a plant. There are certainly some very real world scenarios that would force you to leave your home, it doesn't need to be a global catastrophe. Having a bag with a few items that will make the following few days a bit easier is not a crazy idea, cash is probably the single most important thing to pack in any of these scenarios.

Forest fires if you live near wooded areas or even just a house fire, flooding if you live in low areas, chemical spills if you live near a plant. There are certainly some very real world scenarios that would force you to leave your home, it doesn't need to be a global catastrophe. Having a bag with a few items that will make the following few days a bit easier is not a crazy idea, cash is probably the single most important thing to pack in any of these scenarios.

Correct. It's called "packing."

What we need to do is have pods of people band together. In any situation that would lead to buyout situation, numbers is the key to survival

Sort of like the "Pod People" in the classic movie "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".....?

That would scare the heck out of me!

Can I buy you out? What is your price for all of your bug out stuff?

$$$$ numbers is the key to survival?

(Sorry. My mother was an English major and made sure all of us learned to write proper English. Proof reading one's post prior to posting can prevent confusion, silly typos and embarrassment.... )

I understand your intended point of gaining a higher security level with greater numbers of people, up to a point, until too many people prevents mutual trust and agreement in tactical and strategic choices and decisions.

AVB-AMG

I don't give a fk about typos and grammar on a forum such as this plus I use voice software which is hardly accurate

That said, numbers is how you survive but I agree that the scenario is far less likely than people seemingly hope for

I liked this thread more when it was about whether to purchase an Armani vs. Bill Blass bugout bag.

Newtonian:

To your point, when I started to make a list of what I wanted and felt that I really needed to include in a bug out bag, I quickly came to realize that it all would not fit into one reasonably sized back pack or duffle bag.

So I said screw it....

If we have to bug out instead of staying put (bug in), then we will load our bug out luggage (multiple bags), into our fully fueled SUV, put on some good music and start the exodus to a better place, wherever that may be. (Yeah, I know.... Traffic jams while trying to get out of Dodge....)

FYI - My choice of high quality made bags are from BLACKHAWK, that use 1000 denier nylon, reinforced stitching and YKK zippers. Therefore, my go bags and their contents will probably last longer than I will in a SHTF scenario.....

AVB-AMG

Newtonian: To your point, when I started to make a list of what I wanted and felt that I really needed to include in a bug out bag, I quickly came to realize that it all would not fit into one reasonably sized back pack or duffle bag. So I said screw it.... If we have to bug out instead of staying put (bug in), then we will load our bug out luggage (multiple bags), into our fully fueled SUV, put on some good music and start the exodus to a better place, wherever that may be. (Yeah, I know.... Traffic jams while trying to get out of Dodge....) FYI - My choice of high quality made bags are from BLACKHAWK, that use 1000 denier nylon, reinforced stitching and YKK zippers. Therefore, my go bags and their contents will probably last longer than I will in a SHTF scenario..... AVB-AMG

Barring personal and confidential circumstances about which I know and wish to know nothing, you should budget your bugout bag purchases based on their ability to last no longer than about 72 hours, because that is how long you and yours will survive. God forbid you're ever in that situation, or any of us. 

Funny thing about bugging out that nobody ever mentions. The greater the reason to bug out, the more baggage (i.e. family), the farther you have to go, the greater the imperative in leaving, the less chance you have of doing so successfully. 

Like I wrote weeks ago in this thread you're much better off fixing what's wrong now instead of trying to escape SHTF, when assholes on Rte. 46 are shooting at cars from the burnt-out former cell phone and fast food shops. Moving out of a high-crime area. Saving money. Storing food and ammo. Having a family plan. And above all re-locating to a place where you have half a chance by staying put.

Survivalism is a huge industry and they have us hoodwinked. I even stay awake at night wondering if...If B.S. If you can't stay where you live you'll be eaten. Period. 

Funny thing about bugging out that nobody ever mentions. The greater the reason to bug out, the more baggage (i.e. family), the farther you have to go, the greater the imperative in leaving, the less chance you have of doing so successfully. 

Like I wrote weeks ago in this thread you're much better off fixing what's wrong now instead of trying to escape SHTF, when assholes on Rte. 46 are shooting at cars from the burnt-out former cell phone and fast food shops. Moving out of a high-crime area. Saving money. Storing food and ammo. Having a family plan. And above all re-locating to a place where you have half a chance by staying put.

Survivalism is a huge industry and they have us hoodwinked.

Newtonian:

I could not have said it any more succinctly myself.....

Stay or Leave?:  If we cannot or chose not to stay in our home and/or evacuation is required, we have a Plan A and a Plan B on where we would go, or at least try to go. This begins with having one vehicle, fully fueled with all-wheel drive and good tires with room for us and key items. We have prepared key survival items in “Go Bags”, along with a list of items to take in case we need to evacuate our home. The degree of the emergency will be predicated on the extent and severity of the power outage or unexpected situation. Is it limited to being local in our neighborhood or town, or just in our county, or is it broader, i.e. state-wide or say the northeast U.S. or the entire country…? That reality will certainly influence one’s “bugging out” options and whether realistically it makes sense to attempt to leave your home to attempt to go someplace eles. Keep in mind that we are living in New Jersey, the most densely populated state in the country. So assume all roads will be experiencing very heavy traffic that will be crawling along or clogged with many others in their vehicles with the same idea, as well as others who may be more desperate than us.   What happens when you run out of gas?  Will you possibly be worse off in that scenerio, if you have yet to reach your desired destination?  A rational weighing of the options, chances for success and all of the various possibilities will be necessary to make the best possible choice of what to do.

AVB-AMG

After 2 weeks:  

Ultimately, with the lessons learned from Storm Sandy and the precautions and preparations most of us have made, I think the majority of us should be fine staying put in our homes for up to two weeks without electricity.

During that second week, let alone beyond, the main concern will be for obtaining food and potable water and people, primarily city-dwellers who do not have the space to stock up and store an adequate supply of both will be the first to panic. They will run out sooner and when they become desperate they will start by looting local stores and then things will rapidly deteriorate and general respect for civil and law-abiding society will crumble.  This will result in gang rampages through apartment buildings, targeting the elderly and defenseless first to rob whatever food and supplies they can get. While we in suburbia think we are far enough away from this mob scene, we may be kidding ourselves. Not everyone is predeposed to preparing in advance or has the physical and financial resources to prepare for these “what if” scenarios and they will become equally desperate, just as fast as their urban brethren and may be knocking on your door, or worse, sooner than you think.

AVB-AMG