Krdshrk

Off Duty Police Officer fires @ Teens who knocked on his door Late at Night - Sparta, NJ

The kids were arrested... but for what?  Charged?  Let's see where this goes...

http://www.nj.com/sussex-county/index.ssf/2015/07/teen_off-duty_trooper_fired_at_us_but_we_were_trea.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

The state attorney general's office says its preliminary investigation has found an off-duty State Trooper fired three shots from his personal gun at a car with three teens in it early Sunday morning — an account that's largely consistent with what one of the teens has told NJ Advance Media.

But not entirely consistent.

2. No posting of random news articles without at least a paragraph about what made you post it or your opinion.
No one cares to see a post with a link. If anyone wants to see whats going on in the news, we will go to a news sites. NJGF is not Drudge Report. I opened the post to see why it inspired you.

Shouldn't this be in the liter......Oh yeah, First amendment lounge?

2. No posting of random news articles without at least a paragraph about what made you post it or your opinion.

No one cares to see a post with a link. If anyone wants to see whats going on in the news, we will go to a news sites. NJGF is not Drudge Report. I opened the post to see why it inspired you.

Shouldn't this be in the liter......Oh yeah, First amendment lounge?

See my first line...

Well, whichever Sparta cop responded to the mothers call... Is an a-hole. He should lose his job just for being an arrogant piece of $%.

As for the trooper, if the story told by the two young adults is even close to correct, the trooper should be charged with attempted murder. He is also an a-hole.

No reports of the teens attempting to inflict any harm on the trooper. If I were these teens, I'd be on every new program that would talk to me labeling the trooper a friggin idiot wanting to kill them.

On which planet exactly can I answer a knock on my door and then take shots at whoever it was as they drive away..and not be charged with some degree of attempted murder???

that's funny I was taught in school that a paragraph should consist of a topic sentence, supporting sentences and a conclusion sentence. there for a paragraph should consist at least 3-4 sentences.

A common English usage misconception is that a paragraph has three to five sentences; single-word paragraphs can be seen in some professional writing, and journalists often use single-sentence paragraphs- According to Wikipedia

So I stand corrected but shift the blame on the Staff of the Clinton Twp school system

This is going to hinge on whether he identified himself as LE. If this happened to John Q. Citizen, the course of action would be different than if it happened to a LEO. The smart move for you or I, if someone was banging on the front and back doors at 2 AM, would be to arm ourselves, shelter in place and dial 911 and let the police handle it.

He was LE and it would appear that once he went outside, identified himself and gave a lawful order for the suspects to stay where they were, and they disobeyed that order and attempted to escape in an automobile, I'm not sure that he wasn't justified in shooting at them. Not you or I, because once the threat has passed, our justification is over. However, if a LEO feels that the actors may cause harm to others if they escape, he may be justified in using lethal force. This is speculation on my part and I'd like to hear from some of the LEO's on the board.

Remember, there had been a burglary in the neighborhood - these "kids" were roaming around the outside of his house and trying both front & rear doors. Is it reasonable to believe that they were attempting a break-in or home invasion? If they had obeyed his order to stop, they both could have waited until the local police showed up and the matter would have been straightened out.

If you disobey a lawful order given by a LEO, you do so at your own peril - haven't we learned anything from Ferguson et al. Maybe none of the involved parties showed good judgement, but I don't think the LEO's actions rise to the level of criminality - can't say the same for the "kids".

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Most of this story stinks. We don't know how aggressive the kids were at "knocking" on troopers door. Maybe he did think they were gonna come in, maybe not. Once the kids bounced I don't know if it necessitated the trooper to leave his home with a gun to escalate the situation. And maybe the kids did, or at least seem to, drive towards him in a reckless manner as to which he felt threatened.

I don't know if standing in the street busting off rounds was the best way to handle this.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

that's funny I was taught in school that a paragraph should consist of a topic sentence, supporting sentences and a conclusion sentence. there for a paragraph should consist at least 3-4 sentences.

A common English usage misconception is that a paragraph has three to five sentences; single-word paragraphs can be seen in some professional writing, and journalists often use single-sentence paragraphs- According to Wikipedia

So I stand corrected but shift the blame on the Staff of the Clinton Twp school system

I had 3 sentences there.... 'ish..... :)

This is going to hinge on whether he identified himself as LE. If this happened to John Q. Citizen, the course of action would be different than if it happened to a LEO. The smart move for you or I, if someone was banging on the front and back doors at 2 AM, would be to arm ourselves, shelter in place and dial 911 and let the police handle it.

He was LE and it would appear that once he went outside, identified himself and gave a lawful order for the suspects to stay where they were, and they disobeyed that order and attempted to escape in an automobile, I'm not sure that he wasn't justified in shooting at them. Not you or I, because once the threat has passed, our justification is over. However, if a LEO feels that the actors may cause harm to others if they escape, he may be justified in using lethal force. This is speculation on my part and I'd like to hear from some of the LEO's on the board.

Remember, there had been a burglary in the neighborhood - these "kids" were roaming around the outside of his house and trying both front & rear doors. Is it reasonable to believe that they were attempting a break-in or home invasion? If they had obeyed his order to stop, they both could have waited until the local police showed up and the matter would have been straightened out.

If you disobey a lawful order given by a LEO, you do so at your own peril - haven't we learned anything from Ferguson et al. Maybe none of the involved parties showed good judgement, but I don't think the LEO's actions rise to the level of criminality - can't say the same for the "kids".

Adios,

Pizza Bob

are you justifying police shooting people for not obeying a lawful order? police dont have a right to shoot for not obeying a lawful order thats whats wrong with this country police state.

Right now, I don't know nearly enough details to decide if the Trooper acted appropriately or not - but Avi is right.

are you justifying police shooting people for not obeying a lawful order? police dont have a right to shoot for not obeying a lawful order thats whats wrong with this country police state.

Unless someone is in jeopardy of losing their life or seriously bodily harm, there is no justification for shooting at anyone.  Failing to obey a lawful order of a police officer is not a capital offense and even if it was, the courts must be involved in the process.

Most of this story stinks. We don't know how aggressive the kids were at "knocking" on troopers door. Maybe he did think they were gonna come in, maybe not. Once the kids bounced I don't know if it necessitated the trooper to leave his home with a gun to escalate the situation. And maybe the kids did, or at least seem to, drive towards him in a reckless manner as to which he felt threatened.

It's his house, he can do whatever he wants. I don't leave my house without a gun, why should he? Trust me, there is no law that says I have to stay in my house if there are people on my property trespassing or acting like assholes.

My only concern is the three shots into a car of three teenagers. I can't come up with many justifications for that and the ones I can conjure would be fairly obvious.

Citizens, not just cops, can shoot a runnin aggressor if they have a substantiated fear that they will harm others. Think shooting an active shooter in the back. Just make damn sure that fear has substantial evidence to support it in court. Sadly cops have a special class rank in America and it needs to be removed. They need to be held to same scrutiny as an armed citizen in shootings.

Citizens, not just cops, can shoot a runnin aggressor if they have a substantiated fear that they will harm others. Think shooting an active shooter in the back. Just make damn sure that fear has substantial evidence to support it in court. Sadly cops have a special class rank in America and it needs to be removed. They need to be held to same scrutiny as an armed citizen in shootings.

As a layman I'm not going to instruct people on this very perilous subject of common law, case law, and (in PA at least) statute. But I suggest you study it in detail and consider it a last resort. I suggest you start with "fleeing felon" and end with 'only if I'm willing to go to jail for it'.

3 shots hit the car, so how many shots were fired from that illegal high-capacity clip-mag attached to the hollow pointed death machine?  If this Cop hit a moving car on a three-for-three basis, he's the next Dirty Harry, so sign him up for a book deal and the movie rights, lol!

There's LOTS more to this story, and Dan's right----it all smells like manure.

I'm not ready to point the fickle finger of fantastic fate just yet, but I will say this:  If I go to a friend's house at ZERO DARK THIRTY and "don't see no lights on", since I'm a computer geek kid and have a 4G phone, I'll text him several times and even do an "antique phone call" before I go knock-knock-knockin' on BOTH front and back doors!   HELLLLO!

As a layman I'm not going to instruct people on this very perilous subject of common law, case law, and (in PA at least) statute. But I suggest you study it in detail and consider it a last resort. I suggest you start with "fleeing felon" and end with 'only if I'm willing to go to jail for it'.

Sometimes, even James Yeager gives good advice (summary- if they're fleeing, let them)

It's his house, he can do whatever he wants. I don't leave my house without a gun, why should he? Trust me, there is no law that says I have to stay in my house if there are people on my property trespassing or acting like assholes.

My only concern is the three shots into a car of three teenagers. I can't come up with many justifications for that and the ones I can conjure would be fairly obvious.

Not saying it wasn't lawful to go outside with it. Just don't know if the escalation was necessary or if it's a choice I would make

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/nj-state-trooper-shot-teens-knocked-door-article-1.2308950

An off-duty New Jersey state trooper chased after three unarmed teenagers and shot at them early Sunday after they accidentally knocked on his door, officials said Wednesday.

Trooper Kissinger Barreau told investigators he believed the teens were trying to break into his Sparta home, CBS New York reported. Police said they are investigating the shooting, but Barreau remains on active duty and hasn’t faced any charges.

One of the teens, 18-year-old Jesse Barkhorn, said he and his friends were dropping people off after a party Sunday. They mistakenly knocked on the trooper’s door, having mistaken it for a friend's house, around 2 a.m., then ran back to their car after they heard a man screaming at them through the door.

As they turned their car around a cul-de-sac, they noticed a red dot following them in the darkness — and realized it was the laser sight of a firearm. Then they saw Barreau standing outside with his personal gun.

“At this point we’re freaking out, ‘It’s a gun, it’s a gun,' ” Barkhorn said.

“I was like, 'Dude, get out of here.’ ”

As they drove away, the trooper gave chase and fired at least three shots at them, with one hitting the car’s front tires.

sparta31n-1-web.jpgCBS 2 New Jersey State Trooper Kissinger Barreau shot at three unarmed teens after they mistakenly knocked on the door of his Sparta home, believing it was a friend's house.

None of the teens were hit or injured, but all three were found by police about two miles away and kept in custody for more than nine hours before being released without charges.

Barkhorn told NJ.com they were treated as criminal suspects — getting searched repeatedly and handcuffed — and they could tell police dogs and helicopters were used to track them down.

Barreau, who has been on the force for six years, told investigators he identified himself as a police officer as he ran after the car, but Barkhorn said they never heard him say that.

With News Wire Services