vmastro87

Chimney company trying to screw me? any help appreciated

Vmasto87, if its the case that you didn't sign anything saying you owe them $110 or that they performed some service, I'm certain your card provider will halt the charge, force to vendor to provide documentation, which they won't have, and wioe the charge from your account. Even if you did sign something, your chances are pretty good as far as getting that cherge reversed.

And I think.... They may be required to provide you with a copy of whatever you may have signed. Look that over. A lot of the scum back contractors include wording now that says you can't post negative reviews on the internet lest you be liable for damages.

Even if thats in something you signed, post reviews of your experience anonymously or under some bogus name so others know what a-holes they are. Just dont use your name or real email address when you post it. There are sites that do nothing but provide reviews or stores, contractors, etc. you may even find some on that rip off outfit.

The chimney lining and repair business is the biggest scam going , I know a few people who are in the business and i have been in the trades for 30 years. Your lining looks fine, and if the damper is operational leave it alone.

Have it inspected by the town and go from there. That prick was trying to screw you to the wall. Post the company name please

I will say this, that if it had to be totally rebuilt you are looking at some big money depending on what material/finish is used and if it runs inside or outside the house.

Vmasto87, if its the case that you didn't sign anything saying you owe them $110 or that they performed some service, I'm certain your card provider will halt the charge, force to vendor to provide documentation, which they won't have, and wioe the charge from your account. Even if you did sign something, your chances are pretty good as far as getting that cherge reversed.

And I think.... They may be required to provide you with a copy of whatever you may have signed. Look that over. A lot of the scum back contractors include wording now that says you can't post negative reviews on the internet lest you be liable for damages.

Even if thats in something you signed, post reviews of your experience anonymously or under some bogus name so others know what a-holes they are. Just dont use your name or real email address when you post it. There are sites that do nothing but provide reviews or stores, contractors, etc. you may even find some on that rip off outfit.

someone already bashed him on his Facebook page for scamming them (saw that later of course, this guy was a recommendation so i didn't dig to deep on him), and i didn't realize that a simple signature on there paper could take away my first amendment right. I'm not afraid of these scammers ill post my name all over it.

The chimney lining and repair business is the biggest scam going , I know a few people who are in the business and i have been in the trades for 30 years. Your lining looks fine, and if the damper is operational leave it alone.

Have it inspected by the town and go from there. That prick was trying to screw you to the wall. Post the company name please

I will say this, that if it had to be totally rebuilt you are looking at some big money depending on what material/finish is used and if it runs inside or outside the house.

Problem is the town does not inspect they require you get the inspection from an outside inspector. I will be happy to once i get a written second opinion from a professional. I don't doubt at all this guy was trying to screw me but I'm not a tyrant, i will wait for proof.

False statements? It's my professional experience, and 100% valid and true. Perhaps it is because you are in a different line of work or perhaps you have handled a lot of the 8 figure contracts I alluded to. But simply telling me I am full of shit and making false statements based on my life's experience tells me you need to calibrate your crystal ball a bit, plus your bad attitude.

You've certainly done more business than me, I would guess I've prime managed about $50 MM in projects in my life. The largest few about $3 MM, including one recently. Obviously I have participated in much larger projects, but not as the program director/PM and they are not included. 90% of the work I have done I was the top guy, because I've owned the companies that were the primes since 1997. I haven't been an employee in almost 20 years. I have always had to worry about what engineering firms and contractors I had involved in work, and how many, and had received feedback that too many were involved and people didn't want to bid or merely did so symbolically with some rate sheets and a tiny package. The phenomenon is ubiquitous over many industries.

I certainly do know what I am talking about, and you certainly throw around some ignorant accusations. Not disputing that your business experience might be different. I am not a contractor, I am a professional. I put out specifications and hire people for engineering and construction contracts. Process engineering/chemical plants, drinking water plants, pollution control, hazardous waste cleanup, industrial compliance, Veterans Association Physical Plant or compliance, stuff like that. There is some general construction but that is ancillary the the purpose of my projects.

You have your view and I have mine. You have a history of spewing things here that aren't always true. Just because it's been your professional experience doesn't mean that it's true for everyone. Not everything that YOU see or experience holds true for everyone else. My experience has already been posted. Please stop making broad, generalized statements and believing that they hold true for everyone.

Now let's get back on-topic.

You have your view and I have mine. You have a history of spewing things here that aren't always true. Just because it's been your professional experience doesn't mean that it's true for everyone. Not everything that YOU see or experience holds true for everyone else. My experience has already been posted. Please stop making broad, generalized statements and believing that they hold true for everyone.

Now let's get back on-topic.

You said please, but my response is buzz off. Because your request was self-serving and impugning.

Right back on topic. I came to a realization that I am completely done with people around here that are just apparently haters and more interested in trying to discredit good people than have a dialogue. You are the last one.

You said please, but my response is buzz off. Because your request was self-serving and impugning.

Right back on topic. I came to a realization that I am completely done with people around here that are just apparently haters and more interested in trying to discredit good people than have a dialogue. You are the last one.

lando.gif

I agree.  I installed a wood burning insert last winter.  I purchased the liner kit online for about $400.  I installed the insert and the liner in about 2-3 hours with the help of a friend.  Much better than the $2000 or so I was quoted.  I also cleaned the chimney beforehand with a $20 brush and $30 rod kit.  Took longer to get the ladder out and climb onto the roof.  Cleaning inside the firebox was a crappy dirty job though. 

Definitely keep us posted.  I'm very curious to see what the end result is and who the original contractor was.

When I bought my current house in Colonia 15 years ago it was sold with a disclaimer that the fireplace had not been used in a long time and the chimney may be questionable (100+ year old house).  Since I didn't know any contractors locally that I worked with, I randomly called a chimney guy from the yellow pages to inspect and sweep it.  I guess I got really lucky.

He looked at the chimney and told me he wouldn't feel right charging me to clean it (because it didn't need it), that the firebox had been altered at some time (and then showed me how he could tell), and that overall the firebox and chimney appear to be safe and in good condition.  He didn't want to charge me because, as he put it, he didn't do anything.

At the time, my chimney was open at the top, so I asked him if he had a cap on the truck and if he would install it for me.  Obviously I could have done it myself but I wanted to pay him for something.  Overall a great experience.  There are still some great contractors out there, it's just hard to determine who they are with out a reference.  (I've actually showed up for apointments with new customers and they were absolutely shocked that I was there on time.  Apparrently it's not the norm at all.)

Good Luck!  Be sure to let us know how you make out.

I know every town is different, but when I installed my wood stove the fire department inspected it.

After I had a 2nd floor put on my house, my stove didn't burn correctly. I called a chimney company (even though I clean it myself) and when the worker came in he took a look and said add one more pipe outside to get a better draft. No charge, couldn't even give him a tip. IIRC it was quite a while ago, I think the company was called Smoky's and was located in Forked River. Good luck to you.

Bad contractors give good contractors a bad name. Full inspection requires a camera. You'll pay for that. But if they don't offer that walk.

Same thing my friends for sewer and septic.

Youse nort joisey guys seem to get corn holed much.....

I called up an outfit named Up Up and Away and a nice older lady came out with her helper to do a routine cleaning.  She found some of the mortar had fallen away and told me I could just get some joint cement from HD and do it myself, which I did.

I appreciated her honesty and call them every year now.