nuclearheli

Reload 100 Rounds in Less Than 7 minutes

While that is cool, with loaded primer tubes and presized brass I could do that on my 550. I usually load around 500/h including loading tubes, getting extra brass, etc.

The true awesome is that you can walk away, and I can't :)

While that is cool, with loaded primer tubes and presized brass I could do that on my 550. I usually load around 500/h including loading tubes, getting extra brass, etc.

The true awesome is that you can walk away, and I can't :)

Nice. 

I like the consistency of the load with the automatic system. I don't actually walk away from it. I usually operate the dead man switch just in case. I took a risk for the video but don't normally do so. No difference with the loaded primer tubes and pressurized brass. The automatic system just mimics the manual action. There is a really good clutch which I feel more comfortable with.  

Hmm, I didn't realize it had a deadman switch. That's interesting.  I'm curious if people get comfortable enough with it to put their feet up and watch Gunsmoke on their ipad while its running in the same room. To me that would be the biggest advantage, being able to something else like clean your guns next to it while its running.

Hmm, I didn't realize it had a deadman switch. That's interesting.  I'm curious if people get comfortable enough with it to put their feet up and watch Gunsmoke on their ipad while its running in the same room. To me that would be the biggest advantage, being able to something else like clean your guns next to it while its running.

Yeah I know what you are saying but I'm not about to do that. The dillon case feeder is known to throw a case in upside down now and then and the Mr. Bullet feeder isn't "bullet proof" in my opinion and misfeeds a head now and then. But I have managed to run hundreds without a problem. What I really like about the automated system is the consistency of the rounds. Also it seems to resolve a problem that many people with 650's struggle with. As the plate advances to the next station, with smaller cases like 9mm, sometimes you get a "splash" of powder depending on how you stroke the machine. The automated system is very smooth and consistent and the plate never jerks to the next station. I know you don't have that problem. Another issue this resolves is any short stroking of the machine or not completely cycling the round to properly seat the primer. After several thousand rounds people have been known to have high primers. It's hard to keep the exact same smooth motion over thousands of rounds. This system completely removes that variable. Each stroke is exact and consistent. But I am able to sit and enjoy a movie while the machine trucks along. I don't think I would go as far as to leave the machine and go do something else, but I have fiddled around close by on my other benches. Besides it goes through a whole tube of primers in under 7 minutes. Not much time to do much before having to load primers. I keep a ton of loaded primer tubes but still you need to stop the machine every 7 minutes and fill the primers, cases and bullets. It's still cool anyway and it does eliminate the tennis elbow many of us have from loading thousands of rounds.

Oh and one more thing. I use it to de-prime brass. Now in this case I run it unattended much of the time. No primers, powder or bullets to worry about. I put in one die in station 1, a Dillon de-primer and resizer. Pile in the brass lubricated and let it rip. I like to have all of my cases de-primed, sized and roll sized before I clean them with the stainless steel media. This automated system makes short time out of de-priming and sizing lots of brass. And since my roll sizer is also automated I can perfectly size cases in no time.  My primer pockets are nice and clean and the cases are perfect and ready for loading when I do this.

I have to ask, about what did this whole set up set you back? I mean, I know the cost of the Dillon stuff, but the rest of the odds and ends. Did you fab the clutch? Or is that a manufactured product. It is very cool btw.

I was hoping nobody would ask, but that's ok. Probably less costly just to treat the tennis elbow you get when you reload 30,000+ rounds/year. So yes, you know about the Dillon stuff, that's easy. The auto drive unit complete for the 650 is $950. The Mr. Bullet Feeder with 1 Caliber kit is $469. So add a few more caliber changes and some of the fancy add-on gadgets like the powder drop micrometer and stuff and you are looking at adding $2,000 the cost of your Dillon. It's easy to make the argument to drop some of the gadgets you add on and you can reduce the overall price a bit. I am a little higher in price because I purchased caliber changes for 9mm (38 same), .40, .45, and .223. I also have the Mr. Bullet Feeder on my other manual 650 press.

When you buy the Ponsness Warren Auto Drive for your press it comes complete with everything pre-assembled. The instructions have you installing it leaving the Dillon handle and RAM lever in place, just dangling but I could never get that to work correctly. I just pulled it all off the press. Looks better anyway. You basically remove your Dillon Mount, disassemble the handle, link arms, link pins and crank then mount it on the Auto Drive and connect your main shaft with a coupling they provide. Initially it took me about an hour to properly adjust the unit to make sure it cycled fully and also seated the primers but once you lock it in you never have to touch it again.

If anyone is going to do this I suggest you go slow and don't rush yourself unless you have a bunch of ring indexers for your press and you are comfortable pulling off the platform. Taking your time to adjust the throw by manually moving the cam (just loosen the clutch) and properly adjusting the clutch will save you from crunching ring indexers if something jams because it's not adjusted properly. Keep the clutch loose until you are confident in your setup and you won't harm the press if anything jams.

By the way if anyone is going to buy one of these I recommend the hand switch instead of the foot switch. The control box comes with two switches that you must activate together to make the press work. I disabled the push button switch they have on the unit and just left the large joystick control which allows you to run the press in two directions. When I want to run it unattended I just use a piece of painters tape to hold the lever forward. When I run brass to de-prime and size I load it up and run it non-stop. I just finished 4,000 38's last night while watching the baseball game.