revenger

car video cameras

The GoPro may be overkill, but I love mine. I'm actually looking to upgrade, and I may part with mine, pm if you're interested.

Although, I do have a fancier model than you may need, and you did say "cheap."

Staying inline with my suggestion, this looks good:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/gopro-hero-hd-waterproof-action-camera/8374023.p?id=1219329115703&skuId=8374023

not so pricey.

I bought the Black Box G1W in March and it works very well. Not complicated to work, and the video is on the MicroSDHC card. Playback on the PC either directly, or after copying the video files. I actually made a movie about one trip I took. $48 at Amazon. If you buy this, get the Class 4 card shown paired with it on the page. It comes with an adapter, and the Class 4 cards work properly with the G1W.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FONBG1A?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I ran a G1W for about a year.   I am currently running a DOD 330W because it has superior night video to the G1W.  The G1W was ok at night, but the 330 steps it up, it's also a lot more money.

Here is video from my 330W, taken Tuesday.

Been thinking about getting one. Is there anything for rear view to get people behind that may rearend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are a number of dual view cams, but my issue with that is that the camera is still front mounted and visibility is much reduced due to seats, people, etc.    I think if you're going to run a rear cam, you may as well get a separate cam and run it in the back window.    Since I've got a spare G1W I should do that, I just haven't been bothered to mount it and run the wires.

Do all these units run on cigarette lighter outlet power?

Can any be configured to record events occurring just outside the driver's window (e.g. traffic stop)?

How do cops generally react when they see one of these things? When they see one pointed at them?

Do all these units run on cigarette lighter outlet power?

Can any be configured to record events occurring just outside the driver's window (e.g. traffic stop)?

How do cops generally react when they see one of these things? When they see one pointed at them?

1. Yes,

2.  Yes, just turn it to the side.

3.  No idea, but I would definitely turn it to the driver window if stopped.

• Like 1

I ran a G1W for about a year. I am currently running a DOD 330W because it has superior night video to the G1W. The G1W was ok at night, but the 330 steps it up, it's also a lot more money.

Here is video from my 330W, taken Tuesday.

Evidently he's stopping the Altima in Lodi because they did something wrong in maywood, not for running a yellow in Lodi. Relax buddy. You're quick to judge when you yourself went over the "hash double yellow".

Evidently he's stopping the Altima in Lodi because they did something wrong in maywood, not for running a yellow in Lodi. Relax buddy. You're quick to judge when you yourself went over the "hash double yellow".

The car was on Essex street.  It was never in Maywood.  I have video of the car traveling through the Maywood/Essex intersection on Essex street.  See below.

As to me traveling over 10 feet of double yellow hash to get into the turn lane, well, I guess I was just following the example of the police.

"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye"

car.jpg

This is what I've been using.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1072775&gclid=COG7w9CKlccCFYORHwodPZwGRg&is=REG&A=details&Q=

What I like is it has a car mode where when the car is started up and cigarette lighter turns on the camera turns on and records automatically and shuts off when the cigarette lighter/car is turned off.

yuo sent that video to the dept, right?

This is what I've been using.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1072775&gclid=COG7w9CKlccCFYORHwodPZwGRg&is=REG&A=details&Q=

What I like is it has a car mode where when the car is started up and cigarette lighter turns on the camera turns on and records automatically and shuts off when the cigarette lighter/car is turned off.

There's something to be said for battery backup though. Saw a YouTube vid where a guy's parked car got rammed from someone who apparently failed parallel parking. Got the whole thing on video, including the license plate number. That was probably battery power, no?

There's something to be said for battery backup though. Saw a YouTube vid where a guy's parked car got rammed from someone who apparently failed parallel parking. Got the whole thing on video, including the license plate number. That was probably battery power, no?

There are plenty of vehicles that have unswitched "accessory outlets," formerly known as a cigarette lighter.

i know this thread's old....but i'm forced to get a new dash cam for the truck now....branch fell on my truck, smashing the windshield, and breaking my camera.........any better cameras found or are the ones listed above still doing good?

The top two dash cams are the Street Guardian SG9965GC http://www.amazon.com/Street-Guardian-SG9665GC-Supercapacitor-DashCam/dp/B00U0OJMYG

And the DOD LS460W http://www.amazon.com/DOD-TECH-LS460W-Powered-Technology/dp/B00MTW25IM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455035149&sr=8-1&keywords=dod+ls460w

There are more expensive ones and there are ones that do parking a bit better.  The DOD cams have slightly better night video than the Street Guardian but the Street Guardian has more features.

I still run a DOD 330W because I don't want GPS.

I got my wifes G1W-C from BlackBox on Amazon. First one worked for a week then what seems to be the capacitor went. It would reset the time/date and setting every time she shut off the car. I contacted them and they suggested a fix, which didn't work. Ordered another one from them and sent back the old one. This one works perfectly fine with absolutely 0 issues. $60 and the picture is really nice during the day, okay at night.