revenger

car video cameras

My DOD LS330W took a crap so I ended up getting a DOD LS470W+ when they were running a Black Friday special.  It has a circular polarizer on it that cuts glare off the dash.  It works pretty well.

I would never have one that showed my face.  I want plausible deniability that I might not have been driving at any particular time. :)

I wouldn't mind a rear facing camera, like an option to have the backup cam record to something.

• Like 1

I'm thinking it's time to buy a new dash camera. Guy behind me rear ended my 4 month old truck this morning then proceeded to leave the scene. There's two gashes in my bumper from his licence plate frame and I was on my way to work so my dumbass left before calling the local PD. Local PD tells me I have to submit a form to the State PD for them to investigate it, if I had stayed they could have filed a report.  I have him driving away on my dash cam but can't really make out his license plate. I don't know if it's my video software I'm using or it's really just the G1W's limits. I have the short video I made which I'll post once I remember how to embed. 

Edited by Krdshrk
Fixed video url

I noticed that a bunch with the G1W - the video quality wasn't good enough to capture license plates in slightly darker weather.  You could up the exposure to catch more but sometimes that washes some things out.  

I just switched to a Vantrue N2 Pro - it captures both front and back at 1080p or front at 4k.  Right now I have it set to front at 4k but I may try to switch to dual video again - not sure.  Still testing it out, especially the night time performance.

• Like 1

Thanks man. I think it's time for an upgrade for sure. I didn't really care in my POS 2004 Hyundai Accent with 265k miles but in a brand new Ram I'm a bit more concerned on getting the license plate. 

I'm thinking it's time to buy a new dash camera. Guy behind me rear ended my 4 month old truck this morning then proceeded to leave the scene. There's two gashes in my bumper from his licence plate frame and I was on my way to work so my dumbass left before calling the local PD. Local PD tells me I have to submit a form to the State PD for them to investigate it, if I had stayed they could have filed a report.  I have him driving away on my dash cam but can't really make out his license plate. I don't know if it's my video software I'm using or it's really just the G1W's limits. I have the short video I made which I'll post once I remember how to embed. 

I would say that video isn't going to be helpful. At what point did he rear end you? Probably should go with a front and rear camera.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My edit didn't save correctly. The first clank you hear at 2.5 secs was him hitting me. The second clank at 25.5 seconds was me rolling down my window. As I yelled "HEY" it was because I noticed he wasn't following me to pull over and I was waving him over to pull over. 

First thing would be to adjust the exposure on your G1W - I did that.  Go to like +1 or +2 so it's brighter.  That can help show license plates in shadier times.  It may affect nighttime performance though by overexposing oncoming headlights.

• Like 1

I've got a BC Master 1080P facing rearward in my car. I've had it running for about a year and I'm pretty happy with the video quality. The only tweak that I had to do was bump up the exposure a little (+1 if I remember correctly) to handle overcast days. The camera has a 170 degree lens and seems to capture very good daytime images.  The nighttime video is about average on roads with street lights (the footage is pretty dark on back roads without lights). The image little washed out at night at stoplights due to the higher exposure but I can still see plate numbers clearly. 

I have a Magellan MiVue facing fowards and it take very good images. My only complaint about this camera is that you have to use a proprietary viewer to watch footage.

20 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

I noticed that a bunch with the G1W - the video quality wasn't good enough to capture license plates in slightly darker weather.

This is exactly why I went to the DOD cameras.  They have HDR(High Dynamic Range) and they bump and lower the ISO as needed.  The 470W+ which I bought recently also has a Circular Polarizer that allows you to cut window glare.  In my case, it completely eliminates it.

I've considered running a separate cam in the back window, I just haven't been motivated enough to bother.

• Like 1

I've been looking on amazon and I see some kits with front dash cams and rear cams that look like a little box. I'm considering running one of those in the near future I just not sure which brand would be best.