revenger

car video cameras

They have been around for years and if you are in accident they can be invaluable. Also if you get pulled over for some infraction they help prove your innocence (we are all innocent aren't we?)

They have been around for years and if you are in accident they can be invaluable. Also if you get pulled over for some infraction they help prove your innocence (we are all innocent aren't we?)

My cam helped resolve an accident in one case and helped catch a drug dealer in another.

Case 1, a person turned left crossing the on coming lane, claimed they had the arrow and the other person ran the red.  I was several cars back and the Dash cam proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that the arrow had been out for a long time before the the person turned in front of another car and caused the accident.  

Case 2.  The guy running the red was later identified and searched because the cops were on the lookout for him.  

Handyman:

No I had not seen them.  I just watched the Youtube videos in your post and found them very funny, especially the the guy doing the fake screaming in pain at the end of the second video.  Some are quite comical while others are more realistic and somewhat believable fraudulent attempts at faking an accident.

Ok, so this does make sense for dashcams to record attempts at insurance fraud.

My concern is that there are already so many devices and tools, that are either built into our modern vehicles, as well as aftermarket devices for mounting smart phones, GPS devices, radar/laser detectors, etc. to the inside of the windshield or on top of the dashboard, that it begins to seriously obstruct one's view of the road and what is in front of them, let alone possibly contributing to "Distracted Driving".

So I will not be going out to purchase one of these dashcams, but now understand better why you and others here have done so.

Thanks....

AVB-AMG

I am familiar with GO PRO, which has been available for some time, but had not realized that subsequent manufacturers have other more sophisticated units that take higher quality video.

Handyman:

No I had not seen them. I just watched the Youtube videos in your post and found them very funny, especially the the guy doing the fake screaming in pain at the end of the second video. Some are quite comical while others are more realistic and somewhat believable fraudulent attempts at faking an accident.

Ok, so this does make sense for dashcams to record attempts at insurance fraud.

My concern is that there are already so many devices and tools, that are either built into our modern vehicles, as well as aftermarket devices for mounting smart phones, GPS devices, radar/laser detectors, etc. to the inside of the windshield or on top of the dashboard, that it begins to seriously obstruct one's view of the road and what is in front of them, let alone possibly contributing to "Distracted Driving".

So I will not be going out to purchase one of these dashcams, but now understand better why you and others here have done so.

Thanks....

AVB-AMG

Most of them are small enough and autonomous enough they are concealed behind your rearview.

G1W question. Ever since I got mine it seems it focuses more on my windshield rather then further out. I've read you can open it up and adjust the focus. Any information that any of you have that could help me with that? From what I've read, there's a screw to turn +/- but IDK which way will adjust it further out. Also, I kind of got mine for free so not too worried about messing it up by opening it. 

I think try minus - maybe go to minus 2 and see how it works for you

I'll check it out see how it works. I'd much rather do that then open it up LOL. Worse case scenario I put this one in my back window and buy a new one. Like I said I got it basically free. Ordered this PoS one off Newegg...was coming from China...went 5 weeks or so with many communications of where the hell it was, with a ton of runarounds. Finally got it resolved as it was MIA and got full refund....literally the next day it showed up on my doorstep. This one was originally one of my wifes Christmas gifts and by that time I had already bought her another one off Amazon by Blackbox.

Do all these units run on cigarette lighter outlet power?

Can any be configured to record events occurring just outside the driver's window (e.g. traffic stop)?

How do cops generally react when they see one of these things? When they see one pointed at them?

The DOD cameras will not turn to the side u less you have a super slanted windshield, but the audio is excellent.