vladtepes

Glock 43

Glock43.JPG

Got out to the range with my new Glock yesterday... 

Gun shot well, I put 50 rounds of 115 gr cheap Remington ammo through it with 0 failures, and about 20 rounds of 115 gr Hornady sd ammo, also 0 failures. Didn't even bother to prep the gun in any way.. no cleaning or anything like that.. just pulled it out of the box and shot it.. slide locked back on all empty mags.. mags loaded and dropped free without issue (I had heard a couple reports of them sticking.. mine did not).. 

gun is small and lightweight.. it felt a lot like my 27, but just way slimmer in every way.. the 43 loaded weighs about what the 27 weighs unloaded.. 

this is my first time shooting a small gun in 9mm.. after getting used to the 27 with 40 S&W.. the 9mm was pleasant to shoot.. noticeably less "snappy"

have a Theis holster IWB on order which is not here yet...

Really like this gun a lot, and think it will make a far better carry gun for my use.. Only drawback is the low capacity.. but maybe someone will make a higher cap mag at some point.. for carry I will just carry at least one extra mag.. 

Just thought I would share my experience with the gun since there has been a lot of chatter about it.. 

thanks for the review Vlad.  i have not shot one yet, but i gotta say that thing feels great in the hand.  i currently have a Beretta nano...but i am seriously considering changing that cause it feels that good (for my large hands).

Glock43.JPG

mags loaded and dropped free without issue (I had heard a couple reports of them sticking.. mine did not).. 

Only drawback is the low capacity.. but maybe someone will make a higher cap mag at some point..

The issue with the mags sticking is on insertion. If you cock the mag to the right (assuming your right handed) while inserting, it gets stuck on the sharp edge/corner of the mag release. Simple fix: remove mag release, round off bottom corner of mag release. I did this to mine and its smooth as butter now. Also, Glock is now replacing the mags with "02" marked 43 mags to remedy the issue.You only need the new "02" mags if you plan to switch the mag release back and forth between left and right. If not, my fix is permanent.

Taran Tactical makes a +1 and +2 baseplate for the 43 mags if you need extra capacity. They are getting excellent reviews.

Serious question: Why not buy a 9mm conversion barrel, 9mm trigger housing, 9mm LCI extractor and spring, and 2 G26 Mags? You looking at ~$150 for everything and you just converted your G27 to a G26 with a heavy barrel.

There is no free lunch. A smaller gun in a duty calibers will have less capacity and be harder to shoot fast and accurate - two things you will want when your life is on the line and you have to actually use it.

A carry gun needs to be comforting, not necessarily comfortable. If you have a doubt, then it needs to be addressed.

I know there is a trade-off and compromises need to be made - but look seriously at the compromises you make. You are trading ounces for capability in life saving equipment. You are walking around town, not climbing Annapurna. You don't need to shave ounces off your gear.

I have heard any gun is better than no gun, I just disagree. A gun capable of doing what you ask of it should be carried. You last thought should not be "I wish I brought a different gun".

IMO, YMMV, etc....

Serious question: Why not buy a 9mm conversion barrel, 9mm trigger housing, 9mm LCI extractor and spring, and 2 G26 Mags? You looking at ~$150 for everything and you just converted your G27 to a G26 with a heavy barrel.

There is no free lunch. A smaller gun in a duty calibers will have less capacity and be harder to shoot fast and accurate - two things you will want when your life is on the line and you have to actually use it.

A carry gun needs to be comforting, not necessarily comfortable.

I know there is a trade-off and compromises need to be made - but look seriously at the compromises you make. You are trading ounces for capability in life saving equipment. You are walking around town, not climbing Annapurna. You don't need to shave ounces off your gear.

I have heard any gun is better than no gun, I just disagree. A gun capable of doing what you ask of it should be carried. You last thought should not be "I wish I brought a different gun".

IMO, YMMV, etc....

So, in your opinion, what is the optimal capacity to carry and why? 6, 11, 16, 33?

Vlad stated the lower capacity of the G43 was a concern for him. If he has a concern, then he should address it.

Vlad has carried a G27 for a few years with no doubts. Why start carrying a G43 and have concerns all in the name of saving a 3.76oz on his belt and 0.16" in "bulk"? The juice isn't worth the squeeze if it creates doubt.

Personally, the gun I typically carry is a G23 and a G22 mag for a reload. I have settled on the G23 as a good balance of capability, concealability, capacity, and reliability. With an IWB holster it is as concealable as a G27 with pinky or +1 mag extension. I am significantly faster and more accurate with the G23 than a G27. I feel comfortable that 29 rounds can get me and mine out of harms way. That's the compromise I am willing to make. Would I like more gun, more ammo, less weight, and less bulk? Sure! But, like all things CCW related - it's a compromise.

When the balloon goes up I'll probably wish I had more rounds, a rifle, and that I was somewhere else. But, carrying a rifle daily isn't practical, wishing I wasn't there is useless, and I have decided I am comfortable with one extra mag. (Lately, when going to the movies I have been carrying 2 extra).

I do have a G27 that I carry as a BUG at work. I don't carry it by itself. Is rather carry the G23 but that's just me.

There are times when I carry a Kahr 9mm as a primary CCW gun, but those times are few and far between and are usually dictated by dress.

Vlad stated the lower capacity of the G43 was a concern for him. If he has a concern, then he should address it.

Vlad has carried a G27 for a few years with no doubts. Why start carrying a G43 and have concerns all in the name of saving a 3.76oz on his belt and 0.16" in "bulk"? The juice isn't worth the squeeze if it creates doubt.

Personally, the gun I typically carry is a G23 and a G22 mag for a reload. I have settled on the G23 as a good balance of capability, concealability, capacity, and reliability. With an IWB holster it is as concealable as a G27 with pinky or +1 mag extension. I am significantly faster and more accurate with the G23 than a G27. I feel comfortable that 29 rounds can get me and mine out of harms way. That's the compromise I am willing to make. Would I like more gun, more ammo, less weight, and less bulk? Sure! But, like all things CCW related - it's a compromise.

When the balloon goes up I'll probably wish I had more rounds, a rifle, and that I was somewhere else. But, carrying a rifle daily isn't practical, wishing I wasn't there is useless, and I have decided I am comfortable with one extra mag. (Lately, when going to the movies I have been carrying 2 extra).

I do have a G27 that I carry as a BUG at work. I don't carry it by itself. Is rather carry the G23 but that's just me.

There are times when I carry a Kahr 9mm as a primary CCW gun, but those times are few and far between and are usually dictated by dress.

because there are too many times where I am doing things that would require me to absolutely not show that I am carrying a gun.. instances where I am not directly being told I can not have one.. but only because the question has not been asked.. ask the question get told no.. the issue I had with the 27 was not just the weight.. but also the grip..the 43 grip is much narrower than the 27 was and for that.. for me.. it feels more concealable.. especially while wearing dress pants.. the reality is you are right.. capacity is a concern.. but my game plan is no different than when I carried the 27... a mag in the gun and had a large cap mag in my backpack.. but now since I don't have a large capacity mag I will be settling for 2 smaller capacity mags to back up the one in the mag.. for 19 rounds total.. OR.. I may look into those mag extensions to squeeze a couple more into the back up mags.. I have considered this.. and considered it for a long time.. of the data I was able to find.. I was seeing 6-8 shots fired per officer per shooting incident.. granted I am sure there are a ton of variables.. but with that said even two mags of 6 each with one in the chamber should be enough to get me away from the immediate altercation.. or dead.. whichever comes first.. with all that in mind I felt confident enough to switch down to a lighter gun that I feel is easier to conceal.. 

not sure about on the belt for a small carry gun.. but my full size 22 with a light goes in a safari land holster that is a tank.... is a paddle.. not sure about the more discrete options.. 

so far this gun has been great... holster is broken in.. and is what I am carrying every day.. love it..