Sign in to follow this  
jm1827

Got my first Muzzle Loader

Like the title says, got my first muzzle loader, it is an entry level gun (because the price was right) a Traditions Timber Ridge 209. 

I have shot muzzle loaders before, so I know the basics, but would welcome words of wisdom from the veterans out there. 

I plan on getting some pellets, either Lucky 7 or Pyrodex, some 209 muzzle loader primers (one of my friend uses shot gum primers but I was going to go with primers designed for muzzle loaders)  and some sabots, the gun is 50 caliber.

Any recommendations? 

Thanks!

Powder: Blackhorn 209. Trust me, it's worth the price.

Primers: Any Magnum 209 primer. I use CCI.

Sabot: Have had good results with TC Shockwave, Hornady SST and Powerbelts. Best results came with Barnes Spit-fire T-EZ in 250 grains.

This is for a TC Encore.

• Like 1

Nope. From the Blackhorn website:

Blackhorn 209 is designed to work with standard 209 shotshell primers. For the best results, we recommend the following brands:

• CCI 209M
  • Federal 209A

We DO NOT recommend any of the 209 primers designated for muzzleloaders (Winchester Triple 7, CCI MZL, Federal Fusion, or Remington Kleanbore). These primers are all weaker than standard shotshell 209 primers and do not provide adequate ignition for Blackhorn 209 – especially when used in a poorly designed breech plug system. We also DO NOT recommend #11 percussion caps or musket caps.

CCI 209M are magnum primers, and "supposedly" provide the best results, according to online reviews. So that's what I got, but never compared against the Federals.

I have an H&R I use: power Belt sabots,

100 grains of pyrodex, and CCI 209 magnum primers. Owned it since 2004 never had and issues with misfires using that combination. Killed Bear, and a bunch of deer with it. Works well for me.

I have an H&R I use: power Belt sabots,

100 grains of pyrodex, and CCI 209 magnum primers. Owned it since 2004 never had and issues with misfires using that combination. Killed Bear, and a bunch of deer with it. Works well for me.

Thanks DeerSlayer, much appreciated!