Sign in to follow this  
JohnRyan

Hello! New and eager to learn, Hudson County

Hello everyone,

Today marks my first week of ownership of a new S&W 686+ 4".  I am very excited and soaking up all of the information I can.  I've made 5 trips to the range since last Saturday and shot over 1,000 rounds.  I've also been renting so I can decide on my next purchase.  

My short list for the next firearm is the Sig p226 and Beretta 92FS.  I shoot well with both, but i'm leaning towards the p226 for ease of maintenance.  Man that Beretta really feels good though, it's a tough choice. I think it's only a matter of time before I have both.  In the past week I've also shot XDm 9mm 4.5, H&K P30 9mm, and a Glock 19.  It's a shame that I don't like the feel of a Glock because they seem to be a damn fine choice and quite reasonable on the wallet.  

I prefer .45 to 9mm, but looking to go with a 9mm because of the cheaper ammo.  

Looking forward to learning as much as I can! 

John Ryan

Thanks everyone! 

I've been going to RTSP. I am going to get a membership. With the amount of rounds I've been putting through the rentals it would have almost paid for itself already.  My rental activity will taper after my next purchase, but I still plan on visiting the range enough to make it worth it.  

1000rds thru your 686+ in the first week! That's a hell of a start.

Great first hand gun choice BTW. I have the the 686+ 4". It's one of those guns you just never sell.

It's a toss up between the Beretta and the Sig as far as I'm concerned. It's nice to have at least one hammer fired auto pistol and one striker fired auto pistol. If you don't like the Glocks, take a look at the S&W M&P line. Striker fired with a different grip angle than the Glock.

Oh yeah, did I mention every gun enthusiast needs at least one 1911 also? Add that to the list too.

Funny you should mention that.  Today I fired 3 boxes through a 1911 today and now I have a serious dilemma on my hands.  Still thinking 9mm first due to ammo cost, then .45, then my second choice.   I'm pretending rifles and shotguns do not exist for the time being, but my self delusion will only last so long.  

I'm very happy with the 686, although I have had more than a couple of jams/lock ups (3-4) and I'm trying to nail down the cause.  Been cleaning it quite thoroughly, especially after shooting .38.  Using a .44 brush on the cylinders after .38 ammo and checking with a bore light.  Looks clean.  

You don't have to get them all at once. It's a marathon not a sprint. Get the 9mm(s) first, then go for a 45.

A nice rounded collection of would look something like:

-686+

-Hammer fired 9mm auto - Sig/Beretta full size

-Striker fired 9mm auto - Glock/S&W full size

-1911 - government size 45acp

-22lr full size - Browning Buckmark/Ruger Mark III series

Welcome aboard. Do you already have other pistol permits? Depending on your local PD, that can help slow down any impulse purchases!

686 is a real nice machine and a 92FS Compact Inox would certainly make an attractive companion in your safe. Give that a look, along with the X-grip so you can run it seamlessly with normal 15rd mags (aka cheap milsurp mags).

Yes, I have one more.  Why didn't I get three? (because I knew I would use it.. ha!) 

I have to wait another two weeks before I can use the next one. 

Thanks for the recommendation.  One of the things I really like about the 92FS is the size and heft, it just seems perfect for me.  I tend to like full size over a compact, but I'll definitely check out the Inox before I make my decision.  Need to make sure I get the right one! 

Sorry you had to send the 686 back to the mothership, but they'll make it right. As for solving your last dilemma, how about a 1911 in 9mm. Purists stick up their noses at this, but it's a great combination - the ergos of the 1911 and the cheap 9mm ammo. What's not to like. I have an STI USPSA 1911 in 9mm and it is great!

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

9mm 1911's for consideration:

STI - various models

S&W Pro

Dan Wesson PM9

Springfield Armory Operator and Loaded