medved11

5.45x39 NJ Compliant Mags?

These guys usually have them.

http://www.ammosc.com/5-45-x-39/

Thanks for the tips - I ordered a few 10 rounders from Midway. This should get me started (now to order my bullet guide so I can actually use the mags)

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the ASC mags are for the AR and not the AK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips - I ordered a few 10 rounders from Midway. This should get me started (now to order my bullet guide so I can actually use the mags)Unless I'm missing something, it looks like the ASC mags are for the AR and not the AK. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would you need a bullet guide? My saiga 5.45 never needed it.

I've heard mixed stories about certain Saiga 5.45 guns that will run without one while others will not. My theory is that every other AK that I have has a BG installed, so it's worth it to me to spend the $15 and an hour to install one. At worst, it will prevent the chance for bullet set-back if a round happens to slam into the shoulder of the barrel while it's being chambered.

http://www.badelementco.com/

He does great work and quick turn around.. send some 5.45 bakes and chop to 15

Thanks - Nick seems to be a good guy and a few other AK guys in NJ have referred me to Bad Element as well - I've been traded some messages with Nick over the past couple of days to get an order over to him.

I was actually going to have him rivet some 30 rounders to 15 instead of chopping them. 

Right now, I'm looking for a site to order the mags at a decent price. Any suggestions?

oh, sorry, I didn't see that you were looking for 5.45 mags...the ones Steve has were 7.62.

No worries. Finding reduced capacity 74 mags is a bit of a unicorn hunt unless you want Tapco 10 rounders. I'm going to order some Bulgarian mags to have chopped to 15 by Bad Element out in Utah. I hate to have a good mil surplus magazine chopped but it seems to be the only way to get a quality 74 mag (metal feed lips, etc) here in NJ

http://www.badelementco.com/

He does great work and quick turn around.. send some 5.45 bakes and chop to 15

I just sent an order to Nick this morning for some 15 round cut downs - I couldn't find any bakelite mags that weren't going to break the bank but I did find some surplus Bulgarians that were reasonably priced

Try Jestice arms website I got 15/30 .762 x 39 from them

Thanks for the tip - I was looking at Jestice Arms site for 5.45 mags but he's only got 10/30 blocked AK 74 mags.

It didn't seem to make much sense to me to give up 5 rounds, so that's why I ended up ordering some custom cut-downs

I just sent an order to Nick this morning for some 15 round cut downs - I couldn't find any bakelite mags that weren't going to break the bank but I did find some surplus Bulgarians that were reasonably priced

How much did the chop & pin cost from Nick?

I know he does up to 10 magazines (rivet-only) for just $20 total + shipping, but chopping and pinning was much higher the last i remember

Thanks for the tip - I was looking at Jestice Arms site for 5.45 mags but he's only got 10/30 blocked AK 74 mags.

It didn't seem to make much sense to me to give up 5 rounds, so that's why I ended up ordering some custom cut-downs

No problem brother

How much did the chop & pin cost from Nick?

I know he does up to 10 magazines (rivet-only) for just $20 total + shipping, but chopping and pinning was much higher the last i remember

I'm waiting on an invoice from him, but his website lists the chop down price as $15/per magazine. It's a pretty big jump up from the rivet job, but I figure that I'm paying a premium for not getting hassled at the range about whether a 30 rounder is pinned or not

Thanks medved - that's not bad actually.

It'd be nice if PK90 did 74 mags. I just got 2 of his 15/20 korean 7.62 steel mags and they're really nice - good price too especially with his fall sale.

Yeah - I didn't realize when I got into the 5.45 guns that pulling together magazines would require this much work, especially tracking down 15 round options. That having been said, it's worth the effort since I'm really starting to like shooting round. I'm kicking myself for not getting into it earlier when the prices were cheaper.