lhrocker

Modular guns and conversion barrels

Would a Sig 250/320 or Glock/M&P with conversion barrels be the best way to shoot different caliber ammo without buying a new gun, or is the price difference between the standalone or conversion kit not worth one or the other?  Just looking to try different calibers at the range, short of renting.  Would like to try 45 ACP and 357.

I'm not aware of a way to shoot both of those calibers in the M&P, the .45 frame is physically different from the .357/.40/9mm. So that's out the window.

The conversion kit for the 320 doesn't seem like it's worth the cost just to "try at the range". I'd find someone who will let me paw at their gear first.

You can do 9mm/.40/.357 Sig in a M&P.  I have a M&P 9L which I got a M&P .40 Frame (w/ internal parts), and barrel.  You can use a M&P .40 and get a .357 Sig barrel and 9mm Barrel and fire all 3...  Is it the most reliable, probably not, but it would work.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/barrel-parts/barrels/m-p-full-size-40-s-w-to-357-sig-conversion-ported-4-95--sku842000090-27642-77129.aspx

If you're looking for the most modularity, consider a Thompson Contender, and you can shoot just about anything with a barrel change in the same gun.

The most versatile you could get with a semi-auto, though, is probably a G20 in 10mm, for which there are 9mm, .357 sig, and .40 S&W barrels available. You will probably sacrifice reliability with any semiauto conversions, but that's 4 calibers in one handgun.

The only thing else that beats it is a revolver in .327 Federal Magnum, which technically also nets you .32 H&R magnum, .32 S&W long, .32 Colt New Police, and .32 S&W. But why would you want to shoot all that, anyway?

Conversions are nice, but you'll tend to shoot one caliber most of the time... so you must ask if the costs for the conversion is worth it.

I have a Beretta 92 (9mm), which I picked up a 96 slide (.40) off eBay before they got so anti-gun. I also had a Ciener .22 kit. I kept the .40 slide, as it is a Centurion G model, but sold off the .22 kit. Never used it. I was thinking about a .22 kit for my SIG P228 (which you can now get magazines that make the gun function correctly in regards to slide lock), but the same thought comes up.

I have a total of three uppers for my AR. Main one is 5.56mm, then I have a .22 and .410. The .22 is used from time to time, and it is probably as accurate as any .22 I own. The .410 is more for poops and giggles (I also don't own a .410 shotgun).

But I shouldn't talk, as I have my S&W 642 being fitted with a 9mm converted cylinder as we speak. I wanted a 9mm J-frame, but rather have the ability to shoot .38 and 9mm (I have a Ruger New Vaquero Convertible in .45 ACP/Colt). I'll probably use the 9mm cylinder most of the time.

The one I really want is conversion barrels for my S&W 1006... namely .40 and .357 SIG. There was a project on S&W Forum for them, but didn't go anywhere. I wanted to try out .357 SIG before I looked into converting my two M&Ps over to it... but figured it isn't that economical.

I second researching the EAA Witness. I originally bought one in 40 and have since purchased .45 and 9mm slides. I don't remember ever have a malfunction with any of the slides. I use the Witness primarily for competitions. The 9mm is used for steel shoots and .45 does a great job for bowling pin. Its nice to have the same trigger regardless of what caliber being used. The trigger is great by the way.

Good luck in your research

Cheers

I have G23 (.40) that I bought a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel for along with a few mags. Mainly just because .9mm is cheaper.

If I was looking to get something with multiple calibers right now it would either be a Sig 226 or a CZ-75b. BTW, it's usually cheaper to buy a Sig 226 classic .22 and then buy a .9 or .357sig conversion then it is to buy a .9mm 226 and then the .22 conversion. (Go figure)

Both the Sig and CZ are great guns.

P320 is your best bet.  Not only can you change caliber from 9mm to 357SIG to 40SW, you can go from a full size gun down to a subcompact all on one serial number.  

More useful in NJ where pistol purchases can end up being more limited.

P320 is your best bet.  Not only can you change caliber from 9mm to 357SIG to 40SW, you can go from a full size gun down to a subcompact all on one serial number.  

More useful in NJ where pistol purchases can end up being more limited.

In theory this would make perfect sense.....and I personally haven't priced the conversion kits for the newer p320 but after purchasing  the P350 several years ago with the very same logic and intentions found the conversion kits rare,expensive and peripheral parts {Mags,holsters,up grade parts} even more so... To the point that it was quicker and less costly to just purchase another firearm in a desired configuration and caliber....

I would urge the OP to do his research before making what could prove to be a costly decision.

In theory this would make perfect sense.....and I personally haven't priced the conversion kits for the newer p320 but after purchasing  the P350 several years ago with the very same logic and intentions found the conversion kits rare,expensive and peripheral parts {Mags,holsters,up grade parts} even more so... To the point that it was quicker and less costly to just purchase another firearm in a desired configuration and caliber....

I would urge the OP to do his research before making what could prove to be a costly decision.

So, almost one year on, the P320 looks to have very very good support for holsters, mags, triggers, etc. X-change kits seem to be readily available too.

As an interesting side effect, the same is now true for the P250 since they are about 90% the same (share mags, grips, holsters, etc.)

I was an early adopter of the P250 and regretted it for he reasons mentioned above (and the fact it requires a fair amount of practice to be proficient with the DA trigger).  It is funny, I am starting to like the prospects for its future again....  The reason I am posting this today, I was at Heritage Guild and noticed that they had at least 5 P320s on display AND a full up rack display of accessories for the P320/P250... I think Sig is ensuring the P320 does not get the bad rap the P250 did, we'll see if it worked.