EWC88

To repair or not?

One of our 50" plasma tv's is not working anymore, there's sound but no picture. I have a shop near my work that can repair them but in trying to debate if it's even worth it. Regardless what's wrong there is a $50 fee for them to look at diagnose what's wrong, if I then pick to fix it that $50 goes towards the repair, if not then it's just $50. Now I'm thinking to not repair the TV because I can get it repair then BAM something else went on the thing.

What would you do?

If you would get new TV, would you do a LED or plasma?

Personally, I wouldn't have a plasma tv repaired. I'd replace it. My guess is it will cost you $200 or more to fix and it may not last long after the repair.

I'd get an LED backlit LCD.

I used to think Vizio was crap but I have 4 of them from 32" to 60" and they work and look great. All wifi and they have apps, but I rarely use the apps.

Walmart has a 50" for $528 and a 60" for $748.

By the way, that plasma uses a lot of juice compared to an LED backlit flat screen. Some LEDs consume about 400 watts while they're on.

That plasma Tv probably costs you about $45 a year to run. Same size LED would be about $15 per year.

Check online first. my TV went out completely. I went online and found it was a common problem caused by a faulty fan. I ordered a new fan for 6 bucks, took off the back cover of the TV and replaced the fan. that was 4 years ago and the TV is still working. Its worth a shot to check if you have not already.

If you think you want want to try to repair it yourself, here's a link with some info.

http://eliasp9.hubpages.com/hub/A-Common-Problem-With-All-Plasma-Tv-Sets

But be very careful with the back panel off. I don't know how big the capacitors are, but they store energy and could give you a potentially life ending jolt if you touch the wrong stuff.

I would say it is at least 6 years old not positive. I'll have to take it apart again and try to find this fuse they were talking about in that article. I did read somewhere that it could of been the capacitors and I checked all them and they were fine. Other wise might just go get the LED TV. Will it say LED backlit or just LED?

LED LCD. Look into the LG's. Priced very good. We have a 47" going on 6 years and its great.If your running HDMI, get the 240hertz speed or whatever it is. Sharp Aquos are also great. I have a little 26" in the bedroom thats close to 15 years old now.

LED over plasma, without question. And a Smart TV is great if you're interested in accessing Netflix/Pandora/Amazon etc. through your TV. No idea how I lasted so long watching Netflix on just a laptop or iPad. And go for 240 hz if you watch a lot of sports or use HDMI for gaming or anything else.

I'm very happy with my 50" Vizio. It may not compare to a Samsung, but it's still a very high quality product at a fraction of the cost.

Don't cringe when I suggest this. But check out craigslist for a TV. I know. I know. But here is the thing, people are constantly upgrading their TVs. All you read is "works great, just bought bigger one."

As I converted all the TVs in my house from old boxes to new boxes I bought the 3 other room flatscreens all off craigslist for 50% off. Never had a problem.

Obviously make sure the TV is on before you hand over the cash... And actually tell them you want it already on when you walk into the room.

I know some people are cringing, and I'm the last person on the planet that would be considered "cheap". But I'm telling you with this piece of equipment people dump quality at low prices.

Samsungs are great too. I have two. Had.. I should say. The 50 LCD went the same way as your Plasma after 3 years. Still have the 40 with the odd reddish/clear touch control bezel. Want to say its going on 5 years old.

But I really like the Vizio's. Have two that are close to 4 years old. Both used a lot. And the 60" doubles as an xBox display so its used a lot as well. 18 months on it and just fine. One more with light use but also fine.

Do they still make plasma tvs? I've had my Panasonic a while now (6-8 years) and it still works great. Of course I probably just jinxed myself.

I have NO experience with Samsung tvs but a coworker purchased one and it died just after warranty expired, He contacted Samsung several times and received ZERO help or assistance. He swore never to purchase ANY Samsung product after that.

Hey EWC88,

I had the same issue with my Panasonic 50 in plasma and still going strong after the fix (4 years ago) – cost me around $40.

If you decide to fix it …here are some directions...

First you have to determine the error code…

Error code = Blinking during power on – watch the power on LED..

For example, 7 blink on your model can be a SC, SU, SD, D or P board…

Search google for your TV service manual…it should have directions on how to find the error code and how to locate the boards.

Once you know which board is the issue – Try ebay search for a refurbish part/board and replace it with the defected one.  There are numbers of screws and connectors you have to remove before you can remove and replace the board…just need to keep track ...take pictures...

Here is where I found my Panasonic service manual: http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresult&megnev=panasonic&megnev2=TH-50PZ700U&kategoria=&kat2=schematics

If you decided to purchase a new TV … go with LED – check out Costco.

Hey EWC88,

I had the same issue with my Panasonic 50 in plasma and still going strong after the fix (4 years ago) – cost me around $40.

If you decide to fix it …here are some directions...

First you have to determine the error code…

Error code = Blinking during power on – watch the power on LED..

For example, 7 blink on your model can be a SC, SU, SD, D or P board…

Search google for your TV service manual…it should have directions on how to find the error code and how to locate the boards.

Once you know which board is the issue – Try ebay search for a refurbish part/board and replace it with the defected one.  There are numbers of screws and connectors you have to remove before you can remove and replace the board…just need to keep track ...take pictures...

Here is where I found my Panasonic service manual: http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresult&megnev=panasonic&megnev2=TH-50PZ700U&kategoria=&kat2=schematics

If you decided to purchase a new TV … go with LED – check out Costco.

But be careful with Costco... I bought my Vizio 55" LED-LCD there, and it had "issues." Had to get  a replacement shiped by freight (but within the warranty period).  The replacement has worked like a charm since then. I think the one's shipped to places like Costo may not have been fully QC'ed.