msokad

Safe delivery

I'm getting a safe delivered on Monday (can get it postponed until Wednesday) unfortunately the trucking company will only deliver it curbside. I asked the dispatcher if they are willing to bring into garage. The driveway is level and paved and he said that will not do that.

Does anyone have idea on the best way to get from the street to the garage? The safe is 935 lbs and the garage is roughly about 60-75 feet from the curb.

The final location is the basement, but I have friends that are going to assist me with that in a few weeks.

I'm getting a safe delivered on Monday (can get it postponed until Wednesday) unfortunately the trucking company will only deliver it curbside. I asked the dispatcher if they are willing to bring into garage. The driveway is level and paved and he said that will not do that.

Does anyone have idea on the best way to get from the street to the garage? The safe is 935 lbs and the garage is roughly about 60-75 feet from the curb.

The final location is the basement, but I have friends that are going to assist me with that in a few weeks.

Don't talk to the dispatchers - talk to the actual delivery guys when they get there - give 'em some cash to help you bring it in to the garage.

I've been thinking the same thing about throwing the driver some extra cash to move it, but my paranoia has me thinking they will decline it and I'll have a safe on the curb until I can get friends over to help me.

Don't talk to the dispatchers - talk to the actual delivery guys when they get there - give 'em some cash to help you bring it in to the garage.

This is what I did 6 years ago. I asked him if he could bring it in the garage. It was easy as it was on a pallet and he had a pallet jack.

I gave him the tip after he brought it in.

I don't see why the driver wont bring it up to the garage for especially if it flat and smooth. Its already on a pallet jack so its not much more effort. Offer him a tip if you have to motivate him a little more. I had a safe delivered this year (during a snow storm) and the dispatcher said curb side only. The driver was awesome, he ran it up my driveway along my walk way and dropped it in front of my door. 2 friends and a heavy duty appliance hand truck got it right in. 

Have the driveway empty so they can back the truck right up and have plenty of room in the garage. Make it easy for them and they will help you out for some cash.

If you are still worried, rent a dolly as a backup plan and have them place it on there on the driveway. Then get a neighbor to help you stick it in the garage for a 6 pack.

I don't see why the driver wont bring it up to the garage for especially if it flat and smooth. Its already on a pallet jack so its not much more effort. Offer him a tip if you have to motivate him a little more. I had a safe delivered this year (during a snow storm) and the dispatcher said curb side only. The driver was awesome, he ran it up my driveway along my walk way and dropped it in front of my door. 2 friends and a heavy duty appliance hand truck got it right in.

Most deliveries of this type are curbside only for a reason. If the driver were required to bring it anywhere w may be taking stairs, elevators, and a lot more liabilty on the company's part.

A tip for the curb side then offer more if he can help you get it up the driveway.

Sounds like a decent size safe. If you have trouble with it's weight, you may be able to have a buddy lift the door off to lighten the load. I got a 465 lbs safe up a few steps and into position by myself after taking the door off. Used an area rug to slide it around after getting inside.

The driver was going to get a tip either way. If he helps me get it to the garage (with my help) I'll definitely give a better tip.

I was undecided on what safe to get at first. I was looking at the Winchester ranger 30 and 51 gun safes. The price difference was about $350 and and about a 250lbs difference. My other safe some how got smaller (hate when that happens) and the 51 gun safe will definitely give me room to grow.

I have 3 friends helping me in a few weeks to get it in the basement. 2 of them are big guys that lift weights and so hopefully the final spot will go smoothly.

I have 3 friends helping me in a few weeks to get it in the basement. 2 of them are big guys that lift weights and so hopefully the final spot will go smoothly.

Hopefully it will go smoothly.  Because moving a safe down stairs either goes smoothly, or it goes very, very badly.

One of the guys is an engineer and trust 100%. I must have measured 20 different ways and the engineer has a good idea how he wants to tackle this move. The room I want the safe has the tightest door way. Worst case scenario, I put it in the next room.

No chance of water issues down there in your basement I hope.

I left my safe upstairs. Was too paranoid about a water heater letting go. Been there... Done that. It was bad. Turned the basement into an indoor wading pool. I have an office/study kind of room, so it went in there.

I have that same "safe got smaller" issue. Will need a new one soon.

My water heater and heater are on concrete curbs (elevated pads) to keep them above any water problems.  Would be pretty easy to pour a curb with a few bags of concrete and a form made of  2x6 if you're concerned about water in the safe.

Happy to say the delivery to the house went well. The delivery guy had a large box truck. He was able to back the truck into the drive way, lower the safe to ground level and used the pallet jack to move it the 15-20 feet into the garage. I gave him $30 and a couple bottles of water.

The fun begins in a couple of weeks when my soon to be former friends help me move it into the basement. I say former because they will never talk to me again after the move.

Good deal.

If the safe lands on them they probably won't talk to you again.

If you can lift the safe door off its pins, I'd suggest doing that. It makes a big difference. What kind of basement stairs do you have by the way. 1600 lbs of static weight at a single point on the staircase is a lot of weight. If its one of those low end basement stairs..... Might want that engineer guy to look it over.

It ain't just the safe. Its also the three guys dealing with it. Unless you're using the block and tackle method.

Put down 2 2x4s let the safe "slide" down the boards with your friends on the bottom to keep it slow and controlled. It will be super easy without the fear of denting your safe.... Or your friends.

I tried doing that this past week but they were not steady enough and kept sliding so I had to take down a very heavy piano step by step

We are bringing it through the storm doors stairs outside. Those stairs are concrete so those stairs should be good to go.

Nice. And maybe fewer steps too.

Was thinking of those old ceiling to floor stringers with no support in older homes.

Well today was the day and I'm happy to say the safe has a nice new home in my basement.

One of my friends built 2 small ramps to get the safe from the driveway to the patio. Once we got the safe on the industrial strength hand truck with the extra set of wheels for support, 5 of us pushed it up the ramps. After we got it on the patio we rolled it over to the bilco doors and had a sheet of plywood with a few 2x4s under it for some support and to raise it a little so we could get it over the lip of the door base. My other friend built a little ramp with 2x6s for the stairs going to the basement.

We hammered a pipe into the ground as an anchor for the come along. Once we got the safe over the lip, we slowly lowered the safe to the basement. We were able to slide the hand truck and safe across the floor and into the final room. The hardest part at the end was moving the safe upright after we slid it off the hand truck.

Thank God for great friends. No one got hurt and nothing was damaged.